Fog Machine Questions.

jtice

Flashaholic
Wasnt sure where to post this... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

I think I will get a fog machine soon, looking for a cheap one, doesnt need to be HUGE output, just doing one medium room.
Any recommendsations? anyone with one for sale? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Do they leave a layer of film or dust on things after a day of it?

About how long does a gallon of fluid last?

Thanks,
John

bootleg2go

Enlightened
We bought one at haloween time and it was only like $25 or so. We also got about a quart of fluid, not sure how much it was, but I think a quart would last several hours at least. The thing is the fog made kind of a smokey smell. It was probably a pretty cheap one for $25 and you could prbably find one much better.

Jack

LaserMod

Enlightened
I have found no residue anywhere with mine.

I'm still using the litre of juice that came with it...about half full now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

And I have had my room like this several times...lol:
fog4_t.jpg

TheQase

Newly Enlightened
@lasernerd
Perhaps the film is left, because you make your own fluid? Which has to be pretty THICK fog with the ratio you are using...

The ONLY time i have ever seen even the slightest film, with the professional made fog fluid, was when i used a whole tank up at once. I swear in a basement of about 1000 sq/ft you could not see you hand in front of your face, honest.

As for the fog machine, i wouldnt get anything under a 700 watt. I have a fogger made by VEI (visual effects inc.) and it does fine for anything i need to do (its also the one that filled up the basement)

I used it for halloween last year and i was able to use heavy all night, and not even use a pint (i think thats the tank size) of fluid. By the time the night was over, i was able to fill an acres worth of fog, and a bit of the neighbors. Granted, it was a calm night.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah, the scent of fog machine fog always takes me back to my college theater days /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The commercial fog juice will leave a lingering scent on the curtains, but not for too long. I don't honestly know about a film, I never noticed anything on my glasses even when I was working right in front of the thing. (Ok, PLAYING right in front of the thing) And even opera singers can breathe and sing in the stuff without choking or coughing, so it's not harmful in any normal concentration.

700 watts is good, but if you just want to experiment and get a cheap one that is less thats OK. I saw some closeout at target after last halloween, wish i had gotten one now...

Lasernerd

Enlightened
The Great Pacific Northwest,home of the Goonies,Sh
[ QUOTE ]
TheQase said:
@lasernerd
Perhaps the film is left, because you make your own fluid? Which has to be pretty THICK fog with the ratio you are using...

Actually,We have a lot less residue with the Glycerin formula!
Yes they ALL leave residue!
on mirrors,light bulbs,and most of all on the cooling fans!

liteglow

Enlightened
What about the DJ`s (Light Jay`s) at the disco..
When they rigg up theyr 100 laser mirrors and all that stuff... there must be alot of "film" on the laser lenses\system after a one night show.. ? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

jtice

Flashaholic
thought about those, but my basement area has way too much moisture already /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Thanks for the info guys,
Think i will just pick up a cheap one off ebay, I dont need anything special really.

TheQase

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
photonic said:
How about ultrasonic humidifiers? Or does the fog settle too quickly?

[/ QUOTE ]

way to quick. You would have better luck with dry ice (which i wouldnt consider much)

The ultrasonic may leave very fine mist in the air, enough to see the beam.

If you want to be able to see a beam extremely well, with minimal smoke... burn candle wax on a skillet or something, so it steams/smokes.... (only a joke -- happened by accident.)

Bond007

Newly Enlightened
Hmmm,

Does anybody know about where to get a good, cheap fog machine in the UK? Or any source of fog, canned or whatever? I'd like to try such experimenting myself.