Maglite alternatives?

DimBeam

Enlightened
I currently have Maglites 2,3,4 D cell flashlights. Is there another brand in that D size range that is comparable in price and perhaps a bit brighter?

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Right off hand I would say no. There are lights with WAY WAY better beam quality, such as Rayovac Industrials.

But all you have to do for the 3D and 4D is use some 1" PVC pipe cut to length, and run an extra C cell. I have a 3D with 4 C NimH, a M*g Krypton 3 cell bulb and an Acrylite lense that is real nice. Same would apply to the 4D.

For the 2D, the same trick as used in a 2C works with a little more hassle. That is use 3x123 and a 5 cell bulb. You need 1"pipe, 5/8" hose slit down one side and a spacer for the tail end. You also have to mod the end of the spring for good contact on the smaller surfaces you'll be dealing with.

Naturally, I actually USE the 3D since it runs for free.

And I'm collecting the parts to have three Superm*gs!

I also have 3 other Aluminum lights, including an S&W 3D, and a couple off brand chinese 3Ds. They respond well to extra C battery and beam correction with Writeright or Scotch Satin tape. But the M*gs are gonna get the Supermods!

Lightwave

Newly Enlightened
Playboy,

I just modded a mag 2c, using 3x123 and a 6 cell mag xenon bulb, figuring I'd match voltages. Its nice and bright, but I'm sure a 5 cell bulb would be even brighter. What kind of life do you get from your 5 cell bulb, and which one do you use?

Tim

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll second the idea on using higher voltage bulbs with different cells.

Shane

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some of the 5-cell bulbs have pretty short life. I built one of those with 3x123's and Radio Shack KPR112 bulbs. I've been told that the bulbs will last about 30 minutes or so. I think part of the overdrive is that with Lithium cells they stay closer to their rated voltage through their lives whereas Alkalines drop below 1.5V pretty quickly.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Since we are talking CR123A Lithium cells, I can't tell you what bulb life is. I can't afford to run them! However the bulb is a M*g Krypton Star bulb (comes two to a package).

I just did 5AA and a dummie in a 2D M*g driving a 4 cell xenon M*g bulb (both places I looked had no 5 cell). Since the batteries are rechargable, I'll try and do a lifetime test on the bulb.

rwolff

Enlightened
A while back, someone in another thread was asking about 1/2D cells, and while searching for something else I ran across sub-C cells that were about half the length of a D. Either of these options (with the tubing spacer for the sub-C cells) would allow doubling the number of cells, and a 4D body with 8 NiMh cells (9.6V) and a 6 cell Krypton Star bulb (9V) should be a fairly easy and fully reversible upgrade.

paulr

Flashaholic
1/2D cells are 60% of the length of a full D. You can't put two of them in a D space. The Magcharger uses a five 1/2D pack and it's the length of a 3D.

Timson

Enlightened
I wanted to fit 4 X 1/2D's into a 2D cell mag.
Thought I could make them fit if I machined some material out of the endcap - it looked like there'd be enough metal left for it to work.
I was almost there - then the threads fell off!!
There is a recessed groove behing the threads where the O ring sits....There's just not enough material for this to work.

Tim