LED bulb for a mini mag light

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am leaning closer to converting one well worn mini mag light I have around as it was my first light and, well worn. Compared to my v2 6 chip and xpg its fairly dim even with new batteries. I like the size and shape of the light and have a few organizers where I bought when I used it and would like to continue to use it. The only thing is I want an LED bulb to make it just as or brighter and retain the ability to focus and throw if not also the candle light mode where you unscrew the top and sit the light in it.

I was looking at the bulbs on this website mentioned where http://www.pocketlights.com/ledbulbs_for_mini_maglite.asp and it looks like the TerraLUX MiniStar2 LED Replacement Bulb is the brightest at 25 lumens and still has a decent run time.

Any thoughts on this bulb and or vendor? Is there a better product that would give throw?

Thanks

Former_Mag_User

Enlightened
I've heard many people say the the MiniStar has a nasty beam, full of artifacts. So I bought a LED replacement from Inretech instead. It is very easy to install and it gives pretty good throw.
Inretech
Flashlight reviews and LED museum have reviews of the Inretech adapter.

You can also go to the sandwiche shoppe and buy any of the LED "sandwiches" that will fit the minimag.

And finally if you have the patience to wait. You can join the waiting list for Lambada's MiniMag 3 watt Pill. The Thread is in the Custom/Mod Fourm.

Lambada Drop in HD Pill

If you want to buy the MiniStar you should get an LDF lens. That diffuses the beam and gets rid of pretty much all the artifacts.

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're not looking for killer brightness that the sandwiches offer, there's a brand new offering by Lamba, the MJLED.

It's a large die, high efficiency 5mm LED that has been altered to make it a "side emmiter" for use with a reflector. The entire kit is $10 shipped and includes the LED, a mineral glass lens, and a modified reflector or you can buy just the LED for $5.

IMO it makes a MagLight what it should be. It's a beautiful white light with a small hotspot with good throw and a wonderful flood with no artifacts. One runtime test shows it to go 35 hours to 50% brightness.

Lamba suggests that it should be used with lithiums, but I've used mine with cheap alkalines only and have been very happy with it. Mine intially produces 200 lux @ 36 inches and I finally gave up on the runtime test after more than 150 hours. Not good light after that long, but if it's all that you had in a prolonged emergency, you'd be glad that you had it.

I think that these LEDs are THE replacement bulb for a standard 2AA light. I'm very impressed and will be ordering more. Understand that they're not the screamers that sandwiches are (I've got more a half dozen of those), but they fit the bill for a majority of lighting needs and they're cheap compared to most other options.

You wanted an adjustable beam, but I don't consider these adjustable. There's one "sweetspot" that they should be set at for the artifact free beam with no holes, but it is a "perfect" beam so the adjustablity isn't necessary anyway. It will give you far more usable light than any setting of the standard Mag.

Former_Mag_User

Enlightened
How could I forget the MJLED! I ordered one. I really like the MJLED far more than the Inretech adapter.
Everything kitelights said is true. The MJLED is a very good buy.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
kitelights said: there's a brand new offering by Lamba, the MJLED.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you so very much for bringing up the Lambda MJLED... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

This is EXACTLY what I've been looking for in a LED mod for the Mini-Mag -
and at such a reasonable price too.....

Thank you very much..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the links, I will look those up. Still a new person here and when I hear of a sandwich I think of turkey, bread, mayo and other such things you eat.

I can wait and wouldnt mind a screaming bright light. The remaining dimness would be ok, I found in total darkness any light is better than none.

junior

Enlightened
Just heard that niteize will be coming up with a combo led bulb and cliker for the mini-mag. I heard it will be about 8.95? I will buy the MJLEDs and will try the niteize when it comes out.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I saw that too. Looks like just a 3 led adapter with maybe a fourth mini glowing blue led light to locate it when in the dark.

The mj led is rather impressive and priced right. Shame hes sold out for now.

junior

Enlightened
MJLED's should be in real soon. The niteize also seems priced right and i think comes with a clicker.

paulr

Flashaholic
Cobb, have you thought of a Gerber Trio? Similar size and shape to a Minimag, but designed as an LED light from the beginning. Three very bright (overdriven /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif ) white leds and dunno, maybe 5 hours runtime, comparable to a stock Minimag. $20 at batterystation, cheaper than any of the minimag mods with electronics in them.

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
hmmm... So any other first hand opinions on the TerraLUX MiniStar2 LED? I almost bought one tonight from brightguy. Still might. It seems to have good output... I think more than my MJLED but 5hrs runtime which is ok. maybe longer on liths. But is the any beamshot evidence to support this nasty beam full of artifacts rumor??

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
I found beamshots on both Craigs LEDmuseum and flashlightReviews. The MiniStar two beams looked fine but maybe it's because they now supply a reflector. I'm betting it will have 7hrs runtime and be a little better all around on Lithium AAs. I'll find out soon because I ordered the MiniStar2 Kit with my new UK 4AA eLED from Brightguy.

jbfla

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
CromagNet said:
hmmm... So any other first hand opinions on the TerraLUX MiniStar2 LED? But is the any beamshot evidence to support this nasty beam full of artifacts rumor??

[/ QUOTE ]

Cromag, I have one of the MiniStar2's in a MiniMag. Anything is better that the stock bulb, but the beam IS full of artifacts...holes and dark spots. I never use it.

As PaulR said, the Gerber Trio is a much better light, with a smooth beam...I have, and use, two of them.

JB

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
One of my two remaining Minimags has a Ministar2 in it. I found that the LDF lense from my Opalec made a ton of difference, bringing the light out of the drawer and into my BOB. Not quite a Lambda sammie or anything, but nice enough to make the light worth using IMO. .

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got an email from Greg at brightguy and he said he shipped if with a LDF /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I keep ya posted. I picked it over the gerber because flashlightreveiew shows it has a LOT more output.

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have had both Ministar2 and Trio. I liked the Trio, but replaced it with the Ministar Mag because it is brighter (better throw) and easier/smoother to turn on with one hand. And, run time should be about the same.

wwglen

Enlightened
Due out in March.

From the Pocket Light BLOG page:
http://www.pocketlights.com/blog/blog.html

Nite Ize released an LED Upgrade Kit and tail cap switch for the AA Mini Maglite. The 2 pin LED conversion kit features 3 bright white LEDs and requires zero tools to install. It extends battery life four times longer over a stock Mini Maglite but, it is not regulated. The tail cap switch is a push button on/off switch. The Combo Upgrade Kit retails for $8.95 and will be available on March 31, 2005. The LED Upgrade Kit is also available separately.

I know I am looking foward to seeing it.

wwglen