Day 2 from the 2005 SHOT Show

PocketLights.com

Newly Enlightened
PocketLights.com is attending the 2005 SHOT Show. I updated the PocketLights.com Blog with news from Day 2 on:
<ul type="square">
[*]LongBow Flashlights
[*]News from Nite Ize
[*]New LED Flashlights from Pelican
[*]OMBU Tactical LED flashlight
[/list]
I will update the PocketLights.com Blog this evening with more info on new products from Gerber and Streamlight.

Phil_B

Enlightened
I couldn't find it at first,it's in archives January 2005 for anyone else that looks without results.
Thanks for the updates,very interesting. Especially day ones little packlight thing,neat!.

wasBlinded

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like OMBU is selling lights from Nuwai. Get a load of the $70 retail price on what is essentially the Nuwai Q1! How many of those will they sell? Not.

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey everybody, check out the proto-type model called PROTON! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif That AA light may be the EDC I always wanted, but nobody made. Just look what it can do; 1.5 hours of bright white and two red LEDs too. Plus this thing has variable output. Also like the switch placement which isn't common for an AA light. Wish we knew the dimensions. Hope it's comparable in size to the Inova X1. I'd pay the $70 price tag if it's really as good as I think it might be.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Pocketlights.com,

Thanks for the heads up on the Proton! I had the pleasure of meeting David Allen of LRI last night at PK's hosted CPF get together but he wisely didn't have a Proton with him or in evidence. Today I went by his booth to chat with him again and hopefully get a peek at the Proton. From what I read, this is the light I want to make a Ti home for! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif After looking at the light, I know I want one of these for sure! Think baby Aviator with red LED's!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif From what I saw, this light could easily become the CPF standard for EDC! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif This is a light I will be looking forward to buying and trying in real use!

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
McGizmo said:

....From what I read, this is the light I want to make a Ti home for! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif After looking at the light, I know I want one of these for sure! Think baby Aviator with red LED's!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif From what I saw, this light could easily become the CPF standard for EDC! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif This is a light I will be looking forward to buying and trying in real use!

[/ QUOTE ]

Don, please buy two of them at least, I would very much like to have one of these in your Ti host. Paypal is ready.

Britt

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for your impression McGizmo. I agree this is going to be a hot item, maybe more so then the QIII. I'm drooling already.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Britt,
I am hoping if I have further conversation or communication with David that I can somehow convince him that in fairness to the less popular metals that he should make a limited edition Ti light for those of us never fully outfited for a picnic (if you catch my drift!) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif . In case you missed my drift, consider a short deck of cards or an elevator that doesn't stop on all floors! Understand that there is nothing wrong with this; just special attention required. The Proton is a very intelligent light of Al with a plastic replaceable window. Intelligence has never been my concern or strong suit. I want a Ti host with sapphire crystal window. I have been waiting for some time now for my ideal key chain light and I think I have now seen a glimpse. I look forward to the day that I can leave my sheltered shop, walk among giants on a busy city street with the confidence that I have a better and more outlandish flashlight in my pocket than they do! The potential to win a contest, unknown to others, is not only a worthy goal but a condition or position from which one can hold ones head high and rest assured. I am really not interested in any thoughts or comments in disagreement here. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif

Britt, I may need help in remembering ths but you will be on the short list! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

EDIT: LowBat,

I would guess that the Proton could even be a hotter item than the Q3 with a much larger market base even though the price is not trivial. Beyond interest levels, candidly, a comparison between the Q3 and the Proton does the Proton a serious injustice on some significant levels, IMHO. I mean no disrespect to any parties here but the level of sophistication and unique design present in the Proton is not seen elsewhere in similar packaging; at least to my knowledge. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Yes, unprepared for a picnic communicates very well to me. I am given to fits of angst that I will find myself served Thai or Chinese and not have a chopstick rest fitting my idiom. Perhaps a slight concavity on one side of the host? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
EDIT: LowBat,

I would guess that the Proton could even be a hotter item than the Q3 with a much larger market base even though the price is not trivial. Beyond interest levels, candidly, a comparison between the Q3 and the Proton does the Proton a serious injustice on some significant levels, IMHO. I mean no disrespect to any parties here but the level of sophistication and unique design present in the Proton is not seen elsewhere in similar packaging; at least to my knowledge. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. Although different, the QIII and Proton both fall into the EDC category. Many here at CPF, including myself, want their EDC to be a single cell AA light. The Inova X1 was almost what I wanted, if it wasn't for the absence of spill.

I am curious how all those advanced features are operated. Besides the push button switch are there any other controls? Either way I'm already sold. Hope it comes with a little nylon sheath like the X1 too. If ever we here at CPF can arrange a group buy, count me in. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

PocketLights.com

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
I am curious how all those advanced features are operated. Besides the push button switch are there any other controls?

[/ QUOTE ]

The Proton only has one switch which controls all its features.

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
PocketLights.com said:
[ QUOTE ]
I am curious how all those advanced features are operated. Besides the push button switch are there any other controls?

[/ QUOTE ]

The Proton only has one switch which controls all its features.

[/ QUOTE ]

So it has fully adjustable brightness levels, slow beacon, medium strobe, fast strobe, SOS and momentary on/off, for both the white and red LEDs. Hard to believe all this is controlled by a single button switch. Now I'm really curious to try it!

AuroraLite

Enlightened
David,

Thanks for the shotshow update, it is always good to have something to look forward to. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The Proton seems to be a great future keychain/EDC light, my only concern is whether the light will be accidentally switched on in pocket/pouch. Does it have an auto off feature or some form of preventative measure for accidental turn-on?

Moat

Enlightened
I've been hoping LRI would incorporate their Freedom's slick microcontroller into a single AA or AAA light - this Proton looks like it. Sweet!!

Can't wait.

What the heck is a "white 1.5 Nichia LED" tho? 1.5 watt? I thought their HO surface mount was a 2W... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

The Nite-Ize Mag tailswitch looks like it's probably a re-badged RAM. Nuts.

Moat

Enlightened
LowBat - re; the LED - with a 1.5 hr. runtime on Hi, I assume it will be running at a minimum of 1/2 watt (unless the circuit happens to be quite inefficient or poorly regulated at the higher settings). Therefore I'll also guess it isn't likely a thru-hole, epoxy packaged LED - but probably some version of their Power LED Series.

Well, maybe anywho... just a WAG at this point... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Like you, I'm also a fan of the 1AA config - this level of controllability in a 1AA is a welcome first!

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
1/2 watt sounds logical. I'm guessing this thing is no keyhole light if it can suck an AA cell dry in 90 minutes.

I wonder if it uses a reflector or optics. I'm guessing optics as to better incorporate the two red LEDs. A reflector that small probably isn't going to do well with two additional LEDs sticking through.

Hope we hear more about this little gem after more of the CPFers who attended SHOT sleep off their hangovers. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drunk.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sleepy.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic
I am fuzzy on the current to the LED but I can state that the optics is a bright reflector with notched out bores for the two tiny red LED's. Under the convention lights, it was dificult to evaluate the beam angle but from what I saw, there was clean, artifact free white light pumping out in significant volume.