New Pelican..??

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
I have long thought my Pelican M6 to be one of the best factory lights I own.The beam is perfect and most who own them know they are very consistent in tint and quality.
I was suprised to see a new version of this light that uses only one 123 cell for power.It is called the M1 and looks to be very interesting.I searched and found one thread here that mentioned it however there was not much information at all on it.Does anyone think this light will be as consistent as the M6 and have the same luxeons?...If this light is basically the same except in a smaller package the cost(35 dollars at Battery Station)will put this light at a great bargain.It will probably even equal the QIII in popularity.I will have to get one of these simply due to how pleased I was with my M6 and Incandescent version of this light.Anyone here have any additional information on this light?...Thanks
Pelican M1

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the M1 is a 1W, so it will probably not be as bright as the Q3 - with it's LS III emitter.
The M1 will probably not be as bright as the M6, just because most production 1 cell lights are not driven as hard as the 2 cell models - apparently in order to produce what THE FACTORY considers to be an acceptably long runtime.

That being said: The Pelican M6 and M6 LED, have generally gotten VERY favorable reviews/comments here on CPF. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I suspect the the M1 will take a serious bite out of the Nuwai market share.
Think about it: a compact 1W LS - WITH A FUNCTIONAL WARRANTY.

They should be shipping in the not too distant future...

Robocop

I was curious as the web site listed both the M6 and the M1 to be rated at 41 lumens.This is why I was thinking the output would be the same.Also the 3 watt 3 cell version(M3)does not give a lumen rating yet shows only a 4 hour run time.Also what is weird is both the M1 and M6 show the same lumen rating as well as the same run time??...how can this be with one using a single cell and the other having 2 cells??

Robocop

It looks like the M1 bezel is the same size as the M6 in the photo.I also noticed they have changed the switch to the body rather than the tail cap of the older M6 style.I am hoping my local supplier of police gear will be stocking these as he has the Pelican line of products....and I also get a sweet discount..hehe

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Robocop said:
I was curious as the web site listed both the M6 and the M1 to be rated at 41 lumens.This is why I was thinking the output would be the same.Also the 3 watt 3 cell version(M3)does not give a lumen rating yet shows only a 4 hour run time.Also what is weird is both the M1 and M6 show the same lumen rating as well as the same run time??...how can this be with one using a single cell and the other having 2 cells??

[/ QUOTE ]

"...how can this be..."
It is my personal belief that Pelican produces some GREAT lights, and some rather MISERABLE stat sheets. They had something posted about a year ago that was TOTALLY illogical - I very politely pointed out an "apparent contridiction" and asked for clarification - got NO REPLY.

I'm just glad that it is great products and poor stat sheets - and not the other way around. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Hopefully they will eventually address the issue of the stat sheets, but for now I just basically ignore them.

Robocop

Yes I kind of thought it sounded too good to be true.Surely this is a simple mistake as far as the specs go but regardless Pelican seems to be listening to the needs and wants of flashaholics and continue to bring decent priced,and new,items to the market.It is a very neat little light.Can anyone tell me what about what current the new 3 watt version should be.I am not sure how the math formula is done nor what mAh 123 cells are.If it says it runs for 4 hours and uses 3-123 cells about what current should this be?
All in all I will purchase these new Pelicans simply because I feel they will be equal to the very popular M6.

Longbow

Enlightened
An over-driven Luxeon easily produces more lumens than a Luxeon III that is driven at or below spec. It is more than probable that the M1 will be brighter than the QIII.

Robocop

I am not really sure what the QIII is driven at however if this new Pelican is even close it will be a very nice light.My QIII is an amazing light for the cost and so is my Pelican M6.I feel sure the QIII is driving their Lux pretty hard as it is close to my ARC-LS mod that is bumped up to 667 mAh with a TWOH Luxeon. I think the only thing I really do not care for with this new M1 is the switch.I would have liked it to retain the tail cap switch rather than the push button switch on the body.