The Fenix-Store

View Poll Results: Which thickness should I get?

Voters
94. You may not vote on this poll
  • Havis-Shields 35w HID

2 2.13%
  • X990 35w HID

7 7.45%
  • Dragon I 35w HID

2 2.13%
  • Modded HID Thor

2 2.13%
  • UK Light Cannon 10w HID

0 0%
  • Modded M*g 10w HID

10 10.64%
  • Kumkang 35w HID

8 8.51%
  • Surefire Beast 35w HID (BP or reg. reflector)

21 22.34%
  • Kenrad PSL 35w HID

0 0%
  • Crocodile I 35w HID

0 0%
  • Crocodile II 35w HID

0 0%
  • Sway's Lightforce Blitz 35/50w HID

4 4.26%
  • Kenrad UDL 35w HID

2 2.13%
  • Maxabeam

19 20.21%
  • Megaray

17 18.09%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: HID Poll #2 (revised a bit)

Default HID Poll #2 (revised a bit)

Okay,

This is the second HID poll I've done, but I forgot some things last time so I am doing another one. This time it's The Official HID Poll. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

As was before, if you own the light but still like it more than any of the other choices, vote for that light. For this poll, forget that you own any of these and just pick your favorite. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

I am not including Nikola Tesla's favorite ( [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] ) HID light because it is on the verge of not being portable. Not that it isn't portable at all, but you would have to be a pretty strong person to carry that thing around. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif[/img] I do love that 300 million CP Spectrolab light though [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Also, if I forgot anything else, just shoot me now [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/xyxgun.gif[/img]

Okay, here it is:

Default Re: HID Poll #2 (revised a bit)

Please post what you voted for. Just for the act of conversation and to see who voted for what. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Me: the Maxabeam of coarse [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif[/img]

I really do like the SF Beast though. It's just so damn tough. I also would like an X990, Havis-Shields (which I have), Sway's light, and the Kumkang.

I'm not telling and you can't make me [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif[/img]

Later
    Kelly

Ditto but only because of the electronically adjustable beam (nice novelty) and the fact that I think it would be a RRPITA to swap out batts in the Beast so often, even if price was no issue.

[ QUOTE ]
    Sway said:
    I'm not telling and you can't make me [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif[/img]

Later
    Kelly

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmmm.....I wonder [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif[/img]

Oh no!!! the Beast is in the lead!!! I meeeeeeaaaaannn, this is going to be close [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

since the money is no issue, i voted the megaray. Brighter and throws further. why not?

Last poll i voted the x990, so that would come in second.

*Flashaholic*

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleye11.gif[/img]

Larry

Flashaholic*

Megaray, although from the Kenshiro superlight pics, the MB still throws farther. MR has more output and the optical focusing helps eliminate the donut hole.

I'm voting for the Thor HID again beause being a custom light it could have a 100W bulb or more in it [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

35W is for wussies! :P

Someone has gotta build and manufacture 100watt HID bulbs (that aren't HUGE) to put in portable lights. Can you imagine something more than twice as powerful as Sway's modded Lightforce!!!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/faint.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/faint.gif[/img]

Have a Thor HID.
    I voted for the Maxabeam.
    It has to be something I can use at work & offer more than my Thor.
    Boy could I USE a Maxabeam.

Theepdinker

Maxabeam baby!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Shane

Yay!!!!!! The Maxabeam takes 2nd place!!!!! (not to far behind the Beast [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] )

Not that I'm hoping the Maxabeam wins or anything....... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleye11.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/touche.gif[/img]

I voted for the MegaRay. Boy do I want one. The Beast is running a very close second at less than half the cost though. MaxaBeam probably the most realistic of all considering cost and performance.

Andreas

Flashaholic*

Chevrofreak,

There are no 100 watt HID bulbs (BUT, a 35 watt HID is about 175 watt Halogen). Aircraft landing lights go to about 1,000 watts and clearly are the way to go [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img], especially if properly OVER-driven.

With respect to practicality, the 35 watt HID lights are the best option. Maxabeam does not have the lumen output, it's 75 watts are about half of a 35 watt HID as far as lumens go. So, probably the x990 is the most practical, since it's rechargeable and focusable. BUT, this was a no cost limits choice, so MEGARAY!

Yup. I want some one to make a 100watt HID bulb though.

Could you imagine that?!?!? Somewhere around 9000 lumens focused into a pencil beam!!!!!!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/faint.gif[/img]

Wow. I'm getting to excited [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

125W and up short-arc metal halide are made by GE, Philips and Osram for stage lighting, these are very compact and powerful lamps...an HMI123 osram puts out 8,500 lumens from a tiny 4mm arc..the tough part is finding economical power supplies

Flashaholic*

Hmm, yup, not too many 100 watt plus lights designed to run at 12 volts. Maybe we need to make a 4 headed 35 watt HID light, that's 12,ooo lumens focused into 4 relatively thin beams?

If you grouped 4 35watters together in the center of 1 reflector, do you think it would get to hot? I might wanna try that.

Or would it be cheaper to put 3 overdriven 35watters (to 50 watts) together?

hmmm....$350 for 2 50 watt ballasts and ignitors + another $0-$70 at least for two DS2's. Total project cost could be about $500 I suppose. My body would be a Thor I guess. It has a really big reflector and dosn't cost to much. I think it would be cheaper just to use 3 regular 35watt ballasts, bulbs, and ignitors. That would still make it one of the brightest HID's around. Maybe I should wait for the 15 MCP Thor to come out. The newer, bigger reflector will help because the 9 incher on the 10 MCP Thor may not focus such a large light point well enough.

There is only a single focal point in a parabolic reflector, any additional bulbs would throw out-of-focus beams at crazy angles.
    The short arc HID lamps, including d2 and the other auto lamps have a smaller source size than a typical 55 or 80 watt incan..if anything..you will get a tighter beam with the HIDs
    The thors make great upgrade lights because of the roomy case and big reflectors

Ya, shortly after I typed that I realized it was impossible and pretty stupid of me. I got caught up in moment I guess [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I have a fairly simple but VERY HIGH POWERED mod that I plan on doing soon. I KNOW the one I'm planning will work.....and it might even TOAST the Sleeper [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] . But, you'll have to wait for any details on that one!!!

Flashaholic*

I'd be a little worried about the starting voltage (since with about 20,000 volts flying out of each one) I'd worry there may be some cross over. Plus, it would be a flood type light, since all the hotspots would be out of the focal spot. I think heat would not be ab issue, since they are only 35 watts and a lot of that is converted very efficiently to light, so nothing would melt.

Flashaholic*

How can you toast the Sleeper, that's 600 watts of incan and soon to 1,000 or more. That's a lot to toast, but I hope to be surprised.

You'll see cheesehead [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

(I hope [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif[/img] )

But you might have to wait a while. I am 14 and this is my slowest time of year for earning money [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif[/img]

I'm *hoping* to start this and finish it in March with some looooong hours put in [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Flashaholic*

Hey, for a project light, March is not that far off. Just remember, the reflector can never be TOO big and you can never have TOO much power. Good luck, looking forward to it [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif[/img]

hehe. And now Sway is telling me to stay away from big incans......LOL. Not that I'm using an incan or anything [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleye11.gif[/img]

SWAY!!!!!!! Don't tell anything I may have hinted at!!!!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast