Surefire Rechargeable???

K5Guy

Newly Enlightened
Can anyone identify this Surefire rechargeable? It's my very first Surefire! Any info on this light would be much appreciated.

Thanks

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Neat.. probably a 6R.

You can roll your own 6R with the KR1/KR2 rechargeable kit from Surefire nowadays, what it does is that it replaces the lithium batteries with a NiCad stick, and uses a P60 lamp. They used to make the R60 but Customer Service recently advised me that today they simply use the P60. (I was asking them about the 7Z).

K5Guy

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies!

Will I be able to get replacement lamp assemblies and battery packs for this light? I purchased the light with the intention of using it but I was afraid that it might be an older model and battery packs and lamp assemblies wouldn't be available. Hopefully everything is still available so I'll have a working Surefire when it gets in /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
It uses the same lamp (the P60) as the 6P, G2, M2, C2, and a couple others. It will be available for a long time to come. The battery is the same as the one that comes with the coversion kits for the 2 cell lights. They too will be available for quite some time.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a 6R, and you got a good deal. I paid around $20 for mine and it didn't have the battery or charger. I like the old SF designs much better than the new ones.

It actually isn't a great rechargable light. More fun can be had by taking off the extension and using it as a 6P (which it is), or dropping in a spacer, a P90 (or P91 if you have a glass lens), and three batteries for high output.

spacers.jpg

sgt253

Enlightened
Dont want to hijack your thread K5 guy, but I was also wondering about my 8nx rechargeable. Do you guys think I could use cr 123's in substitute of the rechargeable batt? I believe x80 lamp is 110 lumens for 50 minutes. Cant seem to find specs. on Surefires. Thanks for your help.

K5Guy

Newly Enlightened
Great! Thanks everyone for the info. Looks like I have a good useable light and room for mods as well /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Sgt253,

The 8NX draws a bit more than 2 amps. I don't think the current R-CR123's can safely handle that kind of draw. With Li-Ion cells, you can safely draw 2C. I believe the current R-CR123's are about 0.65 Ah, so you could safely draw 1.3 amps. If your R-CR123's are protected, the capacity is less.

The other problem is getting a negative contact to the lamp. The B90 battery stick has both + and - at the lamp end of the battery to make contact with the lamp.

On the other hand, two Pila 168a's are the same length as the B90... Is there a lamp that will work on 7.4 volts?

Tom

across the pond

Newly Enlightened
Silverfox,

I thought Sgt253 was asking about using standard cr123 cells, not rechargeable... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Sgt253,

If that's the case I'm afraid you're outta luck -
the x80 lamp is designed to be run from a 3.6v sub-c nicad stick, drawing a shade over 2A. The nicads don't sag very much at this draw, so the lamp is running 3.55v (ref. Brock's charts /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif). The nearest lamp to this is the p61, but that runs at 3.7v @2.3A. If you try to run the x80 from 2 x cr123 you may overdrive it, perhaps to 'instaflash' levels. The x80 reflector looks bigger than the p series lamps in the surefire web pages, so swapping lamp would be a pain, and that's before considering the difference in both length and diameter of the nicads. But since surefire only charge $20 for b90 stick why not buy more sticks..? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

If you're looking for the most painless rechargeable solution with lithium backup, the doctor prescribes a 3 cell surefire with 2 pila p150s cells (direct replacement, same dimensions). Or, of course, a 3 cell pila light... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Derek,

Someday I need to learn how to read...

At any rate, drawing over 2 amps from primary 123's for any length of time will get you very close to thermal problems as well.

Tom

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just in case it doesn't come with a charger/battery I've got some in B/S/T.

JackHays

Newly Enlightened
Hi, I'm a long time reader and first time poster!

K5Guy, I agree that you got a good deal. I bought my 6R back in '97 and still have it today. I've added a few things to it since then, but it is still serving quite well. It cost me about $96 with tax. I've spent more on it since then!

As has already been posted, SureFire used to offer the 6R which was basically a 6P already fitted with the Recharge Kit. Back then, this consisted of an 50 Lumen R60 lamp assembly, B65 NiCd battery, charger, and A14 mid-body adapter. The R60 is no longer made, but the P60 can be used with the B65 battery. The P60 will give more lumens, albeit with a slightly reduced runtime.

What this means is that you are, in essence, getting both a 6P and a 6R at the same time! (or in today's SureFire terms, you're getting a 6P with the KR2 Kit) You can pull the mid-body adapter out and run the light with 2 x 123 lithium cells as a 6P, or use the adapter with the rechargeable B65 battery. For that matter, you can get an A19 adapter and a P90 lamp, and you will have a 9P...you can configure the flashlight in all the ways that you can a 6P!

When you get the light, check the charger. If it is the old style (mine was the CN100 model), then it is a run-the-battery-all-the-way down style, which requires you to charge for 12 hours, I think, then take the battery off the charger or risk damaging the battery. If this is the case, you would be best served by buying the newer charger (I now have a CN200 series), which charges the battery in about an hour, allows you to charge the battery before you run it all the way down, doesn't damage the battery if you leave it in the charger too long, and tells you when the battery is charged (a red LED is lit while the battery is charging, then goes off and a green LED lights when the battery has been charged).

K5Guy

Newly Enlightened
JackHays,

Thanks for the good info. I will make sure I am careful with my ni-cads if I have the old charger. I am excited to get this light and see how it does. I guess I might as well fess up though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif....I actually bought two 6Rs on eBay from the same seller. Here is the other one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I have a friend that wants to buy one but the more I find out about them the more I want to keep both of them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can also add in one of hte turboheads and use the 2 cell lamp with that. I can't remember the lamps designation right now though.

across the pond

Newly Enlightened
A thought - the b65 battery stick is made up from 4 nicads strapped together - I think they are 1/2A or 2/3A? What's stopping you from buying 4 of the right size cells and charging them with a normal home smart charger, the type that discharges before charging and then reduces to a trickle charge at the end? You could knock up some adapters to make the A cells fit in the charger, and voila - you have worry free charging! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
across the pond said:
What's stopping you from buying 4 of the right size cells and charging them with a normal home smart charger, the type that discharges before charging and then reduces to a trickle charge at the end?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nothing, really /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

If you want to replace the B65, get some 2/3A GP NiMH - the ultra high current kind - they'll hold voltage better, the light remains whiter for longer, and the best part is that the stock NiCads have 650mAH of capacity. The 2/3AF GP NiMH have 1100mAH, so you even get to play longer. The only downside is that you must bring your own charger, but as has been said, that can be a blessing in disguise if you get a nice charger such as the Maha C401 or the C777+.

And, get this. High rate, high capacity NiMH sounds expensive, right? Sure is, they cost a fortune : $1.99 each at Batterystation. And you only need 4 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Feed the light 4 times and you break even!

PS: You can even run the high-powered P61 lamp with the NiMH cells. GP's own datasheets indicate 25-30 minutes at 2.2A draw - BETTER than CR123s. Bet that 6R has never had so much bite.

across the pond

Newly Enlightened
Kevin,

P61 on 3 or 4 nimhs?

I've been wondering how best to run the p61 from rechargeable cells for a while now. Brock's table quotes the p61 as running at 3.75v @ 2.3A. A pila p168s was the right size to fit the light and had a 3.7v nominal output, but they have too much internal resistance and drop voltage too much at >2A. I thought about 3 nicads/nimhs as these don't sag much and should still manage to give 3.6v - not too much lower than the cr123 voltage. Haven't gotten around to trying this yet - would love to know if someone else has already tries it... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Derek

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Derek,

Have you tried the Pila 168s?

I tested the Pila 168s at 3.0 amps. It held up pretty good at about 3.25 volts. At 2.3 amps it would be a bit better than that, but probably would not get up to 3.75 volts.

Tom