Batteries do not fit.

Anglepoise

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently purchased 2 sets of NiMh rechargeable AA batteries.
Two things I noticed. The positive + contact post does not stick out to make contact in a couple of older chargers, and not one battery would slide into an older Mag 2AA.
What's going on here. Surely there must be some sort of standards in the battery business?

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's one way to be able to claim a greater capacity than the competition and get suckers to buy them. I'm assuming the overall length is standard but the main part of the battery is longer by the same amount that the button is shorter.

It may just be a coincidence but I bought some "no brand name" C cells a few years ago from a Canadian outfit that had this short button syndrome. I found them to be practically unusable.

I've noticed all my D cell NiMH and NiCad cells are a bit longer overall than alkalines, but they haven't caused any serious problems. At least the buttons are standard.

I've never noticed a larger than normal diameter on any of mine, but others have reported this problem here.

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have some Energizer NiMH 2300s and 2500 mAhs that will just squeeze into a minimag, but the fit is tight. I guess that's one way to increase capacity - increase cell diameter. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is there no tit on the positive end or is it just shorter? If it's flat, then it's a non consumer cell designed for making battery packs.

Some of the new higher capacity cells are indeed a larger diameter and the older 2AA Mags are a smaller inside diameter. Put the two together and you get a no go.

Anglepoise

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is a tit on the end but it does not protrude as much as ( example a standard Duracell ) and it fails to contact the + metal piece on two of my older chargers.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Anglepoise,

Any idea on what the diameter of your cells is?

The standard for AA cells calls for a maximum diameter of 0.559". I am not sure if that includes the shrink wrap or not.

Tom

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another example - I use AA NiMH in my Surge. Powerex 2000s made the battery carrier too big to easily slide into the light, whereas Sanyo 2100 or 2300 fit fine. There is some size variation, despite standards.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Louie,

You are correct. There is a huge variation in cell diameter.

However, is it the fault of the battery manufacturers... or the flashlight manufacturers... when cells don't fit.

Tom

Doug Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
SilverFox said:

However, is it the fault of the battery manufacturers... or the flashlight manufacturers... when cells don't fit.

[/ QUOTE ]

So very true.

Since in this case several maker's cells don't fit the MM, and yet each fits several maker's flashlights, my money's on the MM being undersize. Then again, customers were complaining about 'battery rattle'......

FWIW, I understand the new MMs have a bigger bore, anyone wanna guess what happens when you suggest they replace your old (undersize) one with the new design???

Doug Owen

Anglepoise

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
SilverFox said:
Hello Anglepoise,

Any idea on what the diameter of your cells is?

The standard for AA cells calls for a maximum diameter of 0.559". I am not sure if that includes the shrink wrap or not.

Tom

[/ QUOTE ]

O.561" is the average diameter and none are smaller than 0.560.

In fairness I am trying to get them into a MM that has to be
18 years old at least.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Anglepoise,

My old Mini Mag measures at 0.565". It is at least 20 years old and has "Mini MagLite MFG by Mag Instrument - Ontario CA - USA" inscribed around the head.

The new Mini Mags are 0.570".

It seems like your batteries should fit... Oh well, I guess you will just have to purchase a new Mini Mag...

Tom

Doug Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
SilverFox said:

It seems like your batteries should fit... Oh well, I guess you will just have to purchase a new Mini Mag...

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll bet MM will give you the same sage advice as Tom.

Somewhere I can hear an echo of 'if it doesn't fit, you must aquit...'.

Doug Owen

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tried something last night - I found that if I scrape off the slightly raised plastic ridges on the Energizer's clear shrink wrap, they slide in and out of the MiniM@g much easier.

Paul