Cloudy Streamlight TL-3 bulb.

mike2004

Newly Enlightened
I noticed this tonight and it seems to have made the light a lot dimmer. I put the spare bulb in and it immediately clouded up gray too? None of my other incandescents (E2e)do this, this doesn't sound normal. Anyone else have this issue?

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
The lamp that came with my TL-3 did that, too, with the addition of some blue. I got it for Christmas, a year ago, so I made a miniture (flashaholic) ornament out of it. I tested the spare and the free replacement and had no problems with them. This has been an occasional issue with TL-3 lamps in the past. I wonder if it's old stock or an ongoing problem?

mike2004

Newly Enlightened
Since I posted this, the original bulb and the spare have burned out, not even 30 minutes of total runtime on the main bulb and about 10 minutes on the spare.

mike2004

Newly Enlightened
To add. I purchased this light in October 2004. I've emailed Streamlight for a solution. We'll see what happens.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did they turn cloudy before failing? The lamp that failed for me got almost opaque and the filament was red and barely visible until it burned out in about five minutes.

mike2004

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
jayflash said:
Did they turn cloudy before failing? The lamp that failed for me got almost opaque and the filament was red and barely visible until it burned out in about five minutes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. The inside of my bulb had blue, grey, and black in it before it burned out in about 5 minutes...and yes, the filament was red and barely visible here too.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
sounds like the tungstin vaporished and re-deposited on the glass of the bulb. Car bulbs do that with age. You'll take out a turn or 194 sidemarker light and it's blue/chrome looking on the inside glass.

Weak filaments? bad batch of tungsttin in the bulbs?

mike2004

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
IsaacHayes said:
sounds like the tungstin vaporished and re-deposited on the glass of the bulb. Car bulbs do that with age. You'll take out a turn or 194 sidemarker light and it's blue/chrome looking on the inside glass.

Weak filaments? bad batch of tungsttin in the bulbs?

[/ QUOTE ]

The light was purchased in Oct. 2004 so off I go to the local Streamlight service center.