**** Comparing 4AA Incan Lights

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was hoping to get some feedback from people who actually have some of the following flashlights. It looks like the 4AA makes a very nice power-source for basic flashlight.

Here are the lights I've found on Brightguy.com.

Princeton Tec - Tec 40 (4 Watt PR base Halogen Lamp. 4.8v, .50a.) 3-5hr runtime $15.95
Underwater Kinetics - UK 4AA OR Mini Q40 (2.1 Watt, 4.8 volt Xenon lamp) 4-5hr runtime $15.95
Streamlight - 4AA XENON ProPolymer (Xenon 4.8 volts) 4hr runtime $20.50
Pelican - Stealthlite (3.1 watt Xenon) 5-6hr runtime $22.95
Pelican - MityLite 4AA flashlight (3.66 watt Xenon) 3.5hr runtime $15.75

Looking for comparison info on usable throw, usable spill, overall output, durability etc. Also one more thing. Can any of them handle Energizer Lithium AA?

Tanks for da feedback /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

waion

Newly Enlightened
Re: Comparing 4AA Lights

I have the Streamlight - 4AA XENON ProPolymer (Xenon 4.8 volts) 4hr runtime. It's a very good light to me. The beam pattern is quite even for a smooth reflector. The switch is very good.

I also have an old Pelican - Stealthlite (3.1 watt Xenon). I can say that it's a good light but not as good as the propolymer.

turbodog

Flashaholic

The tec40 is a great light, especially for the price. It's got a pretty good spot, and decent spill; and it is waterproof to 45 million feet also. I'm not so sure about lithium cells..... the bulb is a 4.8v bulb. This is a good light for an everled. Fixed focus. Textured reflector. Nicd cells seem ok for this one! Likely could use lithium cells if you swap the bulb.

chumley

Enlightened

I will second turbodog's Tec40 recommendation. The stock halogen bulb never failed, even with lithium batteries. I gave mine to a friend who needed a small light to put in kitchen in case of power outage.

I still use a PT Vortec that is a headlamp version of the Tec40. I put a Mag 4 cell xenon lamp with 4 lithium AA's to power it. It is white and bright, and will give at least 2 to 3 hours runtime. When it is warmer outside, I use 4 nimh's and a 3 cell krypton bulb.

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the info. I think I know the right CPF thing to do. BUY THEM ALL
dancing.gif

I think this Mitylite 4AA might be new. Info is hard to find.

I'm interested in the beams. Usable long throw not too narrow. With decent runtime. 4hr+ And Lithiums AA for sure.

juancho

Enlightened

The Princeton Tech 40 used to have smooth reflectors with a very good throw, but the new versions have a heavy orange peel and don't throw as far, but the beam is wider and more surefire quality.
I am sure this light takes lithiums because I have two of them in my car set up that way, excep that one of them is carrying the Magnun star xenon bulb from maglite, that is a terrific upgrade.
My propolymer 4 AA throws much farther but with a more concentrated spot, for looking under the hood or changing a tyre it is better to have a flood light.
I haven't try the lithiums in the Propolymer, so I can not comment.
I don't have the others lights you mention, so I don't comment on that.
Juan C.

beakman

Newly Enlightened
I only have the UK 4AA, but check www.flashlightreviews.com (I love that website!); he has reviews of the PT Tec40, Streamlight ProPolymer and UK 4AA. Here are some comparison numbers from the site:

Flashlight ---- Throw --- Overall Output --- Runtime

PT Tec 40 ----- 33.89 ------ 2850 -------- 3-5 hrs
SL ProPoly ----- 56.40 ------ 2800 -------- 3-4 hrs
UK 4AA Stock ---- 55.61 ------ 2000 -------- 4-5 hrs
UK 4AA 4Watt ---- 58.02 ----- 3800 -------- 2 hrs
UK 4AA eLED ---- 14.26 ----- 890 -------- 10+ hrs

As seen above, the UK 4AA and Streamlight ProPolymer have better throw than the Tec40, and the Tec40 and ProPolymer have a slight edge in overall output over the stock UK 4AA. However, the UK 4AA will also take the 4 Watt xenon lamp assembly from the UK 4AA Rechargeable flashlight, which bumps up the overall output as seen above. The UK 4AA can also use the eLED Luxeon LED module, with less output (but still greater than a Minimag), but with a rock-solid 10+ hr regulated runtime. The UK 4AA also has a smaller bezel than the Tec40 or Streamlight, so it's easier to slip into a pocket.

My recommendation, get the UK 4AA eLED from Brightguy for $20, and buy the 4-Watt ($8.25) and 2.1-Watt ($6.50) xenon lamp assemblies. That's what I did, and it makes for a very versatile light system.

the beakman

P.S. I also bought the UK 2L flashlight ($26), which can also use the eLED and 2.1 and 4-Watt lamps, so I have a choice of running three different lamps on either 4 x AA or 2 x CR123A cells. It's almost Surefire-like modularity!

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
JuanCho: Hey, what magnum star? Do you mean the TerraLux? Tell us about it... What's it like since you have two TEC 40 lights? How's the runtime?

Thankx Beak... loox like you need a TEC 40 to add to your PT collection /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
It must sacrifice runtime for more output then... hoping for more details Jaun /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
hmmm Would I be able to drop one of these EverLeds into any of these 4AA lights? EverLed 1Watt

Or is there a better alternative drop-in replacment bulb for any of them?

juancho

Enlightened
I don't know about runtime as I never suck the batteries dry, or keep tabs of how long they last. P T stated that the runtime is from 3 to 5 hours with the stock bulb (halogen); it all depends in what kind of batteries you use. Duracell and Energizer have been the preffered ones.

The Mag-numstar Xenon bulb by Maglite (model number: LMSA401U part number: 107-000-415), made in Mexico, gives out a more brillant white light and the runtime has to be less!!!
They can be obtained at Home Depot.
With the Lithium batteries and Xenon bulb, the flashlight is very impressive in the beam and throw department, I have one set up like that to show to people that like to brag about their Surefires, making sure to mention the price of the PT 40!!!
The Streamlight Propolymer have a better switch that you can activate with one hand and also use in the tactical position, also throw is better as the reflector is smooth.
The thing about the Propolymer is that you can not upgrade to a better or degrade to a lower bulb to get more runtime. The module of the Propolymer is about $7.00 (cheap enought)but if you are out of the country, it is possibly more difficult to find than the PR bulbs for the P. T.
I like P T 40's a lot, they have a lifetime warranty and they are really waterproof and inexpensive. They are also my son's favorite light, being that it was his very first incandescent and still serves him faithfully.

Juan C.

Freshman

Newly Enlightened
Can someone list all the possible mods for the TEC 40?

I want more Lumens.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do own (Tec 40) or have owned (UK and Streamlight) the first three light listed though I was never able to compare the UK to the Streamlight. I was able to compare the Tec 40 to each of the other two and I guess my findings would agree with QuickBeam's measurements though I wouldn't have though the Tec 40 had quite that much less throw than the other two.

Still, the Tec40 was definately the most of a flood light and that's what I wanted. I replaced the stock bulb with a standard Mag Krypton 3 cell bulb and have run it like that mostly though I actually use the light rarely. I pulled it out to look through a house under construction with no other light source and the guys were very impressed. I doubt that the 3 cell bulb can handle lithium cells though.

Someone mentioned that some bulbs might be too long for use with this light and if the bulb touched the lens, it could possibly melt it esp if it was an overdriven bulb. Be careful.

I do think an EverLED would work wonderfully with this light. I do like the form factor of the 4AA Princeton Tecs. I have a few Impacts that while they have their shortcomings (terrible artifacts) they run FOREVER and it is a relatively handy sized and shaped light.

nikon

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
cratz2 said: I do think an EverLED would work wonderfully with this light. I do like the form factor of the 4AA Princeton Tecs. I have a few Impacts that while they have their shortcomings (terrible artifacts) they run FOREVER and it is a relatively handy sized and shaped light.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you use an EverLed with the Tec 40 you'll have to use the side emitter. The lambertian model doesn't focus properly and puts a donut where the hotspot should be. The side emitter produces a nice wide hotspot with some minor artifacts around it which I find easy to ignore.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Nikon, you're just a bold kinda guy!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

paulr

Flashaholic
The PT40 is the favorite around here, partly because it uses standard PR bulbs.

If you put lithium AA's in it, you might want to use a 5 cell bulb to allow for the higher voltage. However, using lithiums in an AA light always seemed a bit odd to me. If you want to use lithiums, 123's are more cost effective. The idea of an AA light is to use readily available alkaline AA's. With lithium AA's, just one set in the flashlight and one spare set will end up costing more than the flashlight itself does.

cheesehead

Flashlight Enthusiast
The PT40 with the 3 cell PR bulb works very well with alkalines. With rechargeables, esp if they are the quick charge NiMH (i.e. low internal resistance), the 3 cell PR bulb blows within an hour, if not sooner.