4/5 Sub C for Streamlight. Help needed.

Bravo25

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a SL20XP that I have put a SL35 lamp in, and I am trying to bump the voltage a little. I have someone that can build a pack out of 4/5 sub c batteries that would put the voltage up to 7.2, at 1.7 mAh. Has anyone else tried this or even know if it will work? If there is a better way please speak up.
Thanks
Chuck

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
The SL35 lamp is a 6volt lamp. Why use 4/5 cub-c's?

I'd build a pack using NiMH 3300MAH capacity sub-c's, which would give a good amount of runtime.

-dan

Bravo25

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
dano said:
The SL35 lamp is a 6volt lamp. Why use 4/5 cub-c's?

I'd build a pack using NiMH 3300MAH capacity sub-c's, which would give a good amount of runtime.

-dan

[/ QUOTE ]

I was hoping to up the brightness a little. As it is it really doesn't out throw the 20xp lamp, just more of a wall of light. But I am interested in what one of your packs would cost.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Bravo25, you want to get more throw out of your 35X LA by going to 6 cells. That might work, at the expense of run time. Use the 20X LA, with five cells. I think you will like the throw, and the run time would be better than the 35X LA, though the 35X LA with 6 cells is a monster. I run the 20X LA in my older 20XP.

Bill

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have run the SL35X LA on various 6-cell packs as has Jim Sexton, the daddy of the Tigerlight mods. We have found that the bulb is somewhat fragile and does not like being overdriven on six cells. You can't light it on a freshly charged pack and and it's life is not that good even on rested packs.

It's bright on six. Just not at all reliable. This is not a recommended application.

Wilkey

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Increasing the input voltage won't change the beam characteristics. The 35X lamp is more of a flood lamp compared to the 20x and 20XP lamps.

-dan