My Modded Vintage ' Muscle ' Flashlight

AW

Newly Enlightened
My Modded Vintage \' Muscle \' Flashlight

I got this 60 something old vintage swivel head flashlight from a local auction site. The body is made of brass with fading chrome finish. It is kind of beat up but still in good shape. After a throughout cleanup and re-polish of its silver plated reflector, it seems to look quite alright. Since they don't use plastic those days, this old timer was made all metal with a glass lens. With its rugged built lasting all these years, I decided to give this old guy some muscle and pride.
The mod itself is simple enough and doesn't cost much at all. However, the result is truly amazing. I made a 8 X AA holder from two 4AA holders. Then replace the stock 2D bulb with a 6 cell xenon bulb. Using 8 X 2500 NiMH cells, the xenon bulb is being driven crazy bright and white. Runtime should exceed 1 hour or more ( not been tested yet ). Heat is not a concern because it got a nice air pocket inside the head and the metal reflector and glass lens will take the heat well. Comparing to a 2D Mag with the same configuration, this old 'Muscle' is much lighter and smaller. It throws very far with its 40mm reflector, a tad shorter than my 2D Mag Mod. The hot spot is tight with some good side spill. I am certain this little old guy will get some respect when I take it out for a hike /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif
P.S. I 'll give it a dose of steroid when I find time to pot a WA1185 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

PICT0033.jpg

This is the old timer, not an ice-cream scoup

PICT0034.jpg

Simple components for the mod

PICT0036.jpg

Screaming bright and white light from the business end

PICT0035.jpg

Beamshots : (Left) The 'Muscle' (Right)2D Mag Mod with same config on tightest focus 10 feet from a white wall

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: My Modded Vintage \' Muscle \' Flashlight

Very cool!

Wilkey

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast

Excellent. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

AW

Newly Enlightened

I took this 'Muscle' for a short hike this evening and it ran for about 3 hours on a set of freshly charged NiMh batteries. The beam was bright and white for the initial 30 minutes and turned yellow with diminishing output later on.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast

Metal reflector... 1185...... SWEET!

If the internals can handle the awesome amperage of the 1185, that would enable the light to not only catch up, it'll be able to step into the future!