An incomplete treatise on Mag's existence

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
An incomplete treatise on Mag\'s existence

How's that for a dynamic title? Various angles on Mag-Lite seem to be a hot topic now, so I thought I'd start a separate thread of my views on the thing. If you have any thoughts try to keep away from the "Mags suck! No, they don't!" tear.

Anyway...Everything needs to be seen in perspective with regard to Mag's design. Let's think about it for a moment:
There will always be a market for lights that use C/D-cells, 'cause they're cheap and run for a long time. You also use PR bulbs for best cost/output ratio. I can't see any revolutions soon in this regard, unless someone comes out with a $5 Lux. Unless you really love flashlights, or have specific requirements, or lots of disposable income, the average person will not pay a lot (say, over $15-25) for a "house" light.

Within those requirements how much leeway do you really have? I don't think that basic light format can be advanced any farther. Mag gives you a sturdy body, a good switch (it's clever when you see the inner workings--think click pen), and a bulbholder/reflector that is versatile and bright although at the expense of absolute beam quality.

To say that the Mag-Lite is outdated is like saying the same thing about a hammer. A nail gun is faster and better, but you can't revolutionize the hammer, or replace it. The original Mag design (somewhat like the later old Streamlights, too much in fact in legal regards) came out in 1979. The current one we all know has its roots in the early '80s. That was the golden age of C/D-cell incan light development from all companies and I think its day is past. All flashlight advances since then have been with alternate technology, or in very different formats (like diving or fire lights).

In an aside to the above ideas, I should say that I think the Solitaire has no reason to exist in its current form, and the two Mini-Mags will be close in the future, as the LED thing gets refined.

Also, please note that Surefire and Mag-Lite do not, and have never overlapped in target markets. The comparison is moot. Mag's core thing was police/patrol, SF was tactical/military. If you want to pull out a major company as Mag's competitor, I'd venture to say Streamlight. SL has, in fact, come out on top in the LEO battle as Mag seems to have left the Magcharger as their lone modern LEO model as they concentrate on their mass-market shares. Streamlight hasn't gotten into mass stuff much, preferring to make its secondary market tag after the Surefire people.

And as far as the Magcharger, it's still a great light any way you slice it. IMHO the best of the range in quality and versatility. Not much else out there (TigerLight and Streamlight SL come to mind, anything else) and nothing with new light technology.

Thought two is on the legal aspect, and of course I won't get into that much. Everything they've done is within legal bounds, and I'd say that at least most are within moral boundaries. What's left...well, seems to spring from a deep-seated fear on Maglica's part that he'll be ruined by other people using his ideas, although his perception of what they are could be too broad. I wouldn't be down on them too much, afterall other flashlight companies have had issues (see Brand A).

Thought three is on the new factory deal. I don't know much about what's actually going on, so I'll come out and say I can't even fathom a guess. I will, however, say that I doubt you can read too much into it. You probably can't say they WILL be making new products, or WILL be tooling up to make their stuff cheaper. The truth is probably in between somewhere. The current lights could be improved in technology without much in the way of new machines. You also probably can only make them only so quickly or cheaply. I bet that you'll see some new stuff in the future but at the moment it'll be cheaper lights or higher profit margins.

Mag hasn't had a new patent in years, at least easily identifiable as being from them. The ones that weren't made (AAAA focusable penlight, 3-cell rechargeable Mini-Mag, as a couple examples) are old enough I figure they have no chance. Anything new that comes down the pipe will be interesting to see.

I guess I'll also say that if Mag DOES embrace a new technology (Luxeons maybe) it'll be a mammoth boost to the industry. They have tremendous buying and manufacturing power. If they wanted to produce the old-style Surefire 6P, without the bulb/LA you'd be looking at a $10-15 flashlight. Whether that says more about Mag or Surefire is up to you to decide, by the way.

Oh yeah, thought four. The advertising hypes the product too much and is basically full of it. Note to Mag: You haven't been a major player in most professional user catagories in quite a while and the lights aren't high-tech when compared to the industry as a whole. Stop playing on peoples' name recognition.

Finally, I want to make clear that I'm not a Mag apologist, or even a big fan. I don't even regularly use any of their alkaline offerings. I just feel that there's a lot of unreasonable dislike thrown at them. Seems to be a social thing, and/or something for younger people to latch onto as an angle. When was the last time guys were complaining that Rayovac or Everready were no longer relevent? You don't, even though they are dead to the serious user. And to the few folks (I don't have any one person in mind, before someone complains) who bash Mag all-out but view old names like Kel-Lite or Bianchi with mystical reverence, even though you're not really familiar with them: Get over it. You want a historical object or a weird collection? Then by all means buy one. You want a flashlight in that style? Buy a Mag. All the pioneering brands were heavy, mostly poorly-machined, and surprisingly fragile or unreliable in some ways.

OK, so that's what I have to say. Not claming it's right or even sane, but there it is. Feel free to comment in a civil manner if you have something to say about the issue.

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: An incomplete treatise on Mag\'s existance

First of all, let me say that "Mags suck!" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

But seriously, thanks for making such an eloquent and non-partisan post. It is a most excellent expression of your thoughts, abtomat.

People who are familiar with my work know that I have studied Mags and MagChargers extensively. They are not the epitome of elegant design and neither are they particularly high functioning. They are, however, highly optimized tools of a specific designed performance.

I don't hate Mag and I don't love them. I don't revile them and neither do I worship them. They simply make reasonably well constructed, inexpensive, accessible flashlights. That they make good modding fodder is a plus.

Wilkey

junior

Enlightened

If you really think about Mag inst. they have out lasted quite a few other flashlight companies including a real popular flashlight company that recently went under.

I learned something from an old scrapper once. He said "The fact that im old and living shows that i am a survivor". Words to live on.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast

I don't knock MAGs. I think I own more MAGs than any other brand... If that's not true, it's close to true. I don't know what kind of percentage MAG has of the flashlight industry but I would venture to guess that, military sales aside, their 2004 percentage is likely less than their 1994 percentage and that can't be a good thing for long term growth.

It's been said that a major reason (if not the ONLY reason) MAG hasn't embraced LED, esp Luxeon, technology is that it would canibalize their bulb sales and this definately makes sense. But considering how much they could mark up LED-based lights in the name of 'Tired of replacing all those krypton bulbs? NEVER again with this light!', I don't know that their growth wouldn't increase.

Still, I have a LED_ASAP modded ARC on my keychain, and I almost always have something along the lines or an X5T or G2 if I'm outside the house. But anytime I need a light for outdoor use, it's more than likely a 3D MAG with 4 C cells and a 3 cell bulb. Not a stock MAG, but a MAG anyone can make in about ten seconds. Very bright (compared to stock MAGs /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif ), has good runtime and could wack a bad guy pretty well if less lethal force was called for.

I don't plan on getting rid of my MAGs anytime soon.

Mark2

Enlightened

I have no particular feelings towards Mag flashlights either. They are what they are, I don't feel like I paid too much for them. However, I don't like the fact that this company obviously prefers harassing small (more like tiny compared to Mag) innovative manufacturers instead of improving their own products. This is not what upright companies do. A good company contributes to the evolution of the tools for the benefit of the consumer, a bad company hinders others from making innovations. I sincerely hope that Mag will change and be successful on the market by offering good and innovative products, not by suing other manufacturers.

McGizmo

Flashaholic

No time to look for it now but I recall running across a Mag patent last year that was new and either for extension or revision. I believe they are working to keep current ammo with which to ward off competitive domestic production; whether it is a knock off or worse yet, an improvment in the art. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

My only real beef with Mag is that under the guise of by American for America, essentially they have hog tied domestic inovation and allowed more import product to displace them. I have nothing against import either but resent a "different set of rules" as well as blatant disregard for legitimate IP or design as is often the case.

In an international market, it would be nice if the players would consider playing by the same set of rules and if greed and "business is war" shall prevail, then don't hold the home team to one standard while the visitors slide in below it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif I know, living in Berkeley has made me go soft in the head! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif

turbodog

Flashaholic

I don't see bulb sales as an issue, period. I my lifetime, I have had MAYBE 4 mag bulbs blow. Did I mention that I have a bad habit of throwing my light onto concrete surfaces?

*IF* mag were to venture in led based lights..... what would that do for their existing series? If the 2 lines cannot co-exist within mag, I say that they will never go led.

Like it or not, mag is a quality company. They're able to exist in the state of CA and comply with all CA's extra bullcrap laws and regs. They have real people that quickly answer the phone.

Tesla

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Mark2 said:
However, I don't like the fact that this company obviously prefers harassing small (more like tiny compared to Mag) innovative manufacturers instead of improving their own products. This is not what upright companies do. A good company contributes to the evolution of the tools for the benefit of the consumer, a bad company hinders others from making innovations. I sincerely hope that Mag will change and be successful on the market by offering good and innovative products, not by suing other manufacturers.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd take issue with your definition of a "good company". The only real existence for any "business" is the maximization of profit. Protecting intellectual property vis-a-vis enforcing your patent is an integral part of doing business in the modern world. Sure, we all root for the underdog, and may not agree with every nuance of patent law, but it exists for a reason and if the "little guy" is ignoring it, then it brings to mind the Clint Eastwood character William Money in Unforgiven. When told he's just shot an unarmed man, he replies, "Well, he shoulda armed himself."...... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast

Maglites are everywhere, too. Just about every store in my area has them, and compaired to a .99 cent light the Maglite screams quality. To most people I know, when they think of a "Quality" flashlight, they think of Maglite..

McGizmo

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
...if the "little guy" is ignoring it...

[/ QUOTE ]

In the case of Mag, the little guy was often guilty of not having a legal war chest capable of matching the paper pile Mag dumped on him. It had little to do with legit protection against patent infringement, IMHO. On the otherhand, if you believe that Mag owns the right to a round tube that holds batteries and a light source then that is a different story. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

paulr

Flashaholic

Mag didn't invent the cylindrical flashlight any more than McDonalds invented the hamburger. Their claim of exclusive rights to cylindrical AAA lights is just legalized extortion. Note that while they did that to Arc, they weren't willing to try that stunt on Ray-O-Vac (which makes some cheap cylindrical 1AAA incan lights called Shimmers) because Ray-O-Vac, unlike Arc, actually has enough resources to defend itself and give Mag a spanking in court. The reasons for disliking Mag are pretty similar to the reasons for disliking Microsoft.

Rebus

Enlightened

The reason mag has not embraced the led flashlight
seem clear to me. Their bread and butter is base
on selling long throwing flashlights to Leos and
outdoor enthusiasts, who want a light that can
reveal a fugitive or animal crouching in a dark
corner a block & a half away. Granted their lights
are not much good for work at 10 to 20 feet but that
is not that important to this market. You would think
however, that they would also want to sell a light to Karen
the freshman who is going off to college, who's dad
thinks she needs "The best flashlight he can buy"...

I don't know... What is going on with their thinking??

-Rebus

Ray_of_Light

Flashlight Enthusiast

Mag makes lights for the profit. Made in the US, which is good in the actual landscape of outsourcing, but with the maximum possible automation, to save on wages.
There is nothing bad to work for a profit. I'm sure that Mag sell to people what people wants. If one day the crowd will scream for LED, Mag will sell LED.
As for many basic product like a flashlight, the reasons inducing the purchase are based on the education of the customers. If average Joe thinks that shelling out 15 bucks instead of 3, he will get the best flashlight in the world, Mag is there to sell it, and help make believe it.
To date, there is no big market share for expensive LED lights. I believe it is the only reason why Mag is stuck to old incandescent technology.
I'm not a big fan of Mag. I only have modded Mags. I believe Mag fills the right market, with the right price. The same applies to tools manufacturer, as an example. I prefer to buy Stanley or Beta screwdrivers, and not department specials or China made screwdrivers, for the same reasons other people buys Mag instead of 1 $ flashlight.
Flashaholicism, and good flashlights is another planet, but we all know well about it...

Anthony

Donovan

Enlightened
This is what Mag replied when I asked them....

This is what Mag replied when I asked them about improving their reflectors and LED.

Donovan:

Thanks for the input. We choose not to texture our reflectors because when textured the distance beam is cut down by over 300%, we prefer distance. As you know, the Maglite® flashlights have an unparalleled reputation for quality and reliability. In part, this is due to the fact that, unlike other flashlights, Maglite® flashlights are all made in the USA.
Mag Instrument also spends enormous amounts of time and money on research and development to make certain that it maintains its reputation for quality and reliability. Mag Instrument also invests heavily in automation so that it can compete with the pitifully low labor wages in foreign countries. Consequently, the development and introduction of new products takes longer at Mag Instrument than it does for companies selling foreign made flashlights.
Mag Instrument also believes in products which will withstand the test of time. Fad products, such as the snake light flashlight which was popular for a short time, are of no interest to Mag Instrument. Mag Instrument's flashlight products are designed to be lifetime products.
With regard to your question regarding the present lack of a Mag Instrument LED flashlight, please be advised that numerous new products are presently under development at Mag Instrument including LED flashlights. LED technology is a rapidly changing technology and, in Mag Instrument's opinion, the LED flashlight products which are presently being sold are lacking in the type of performance and quality needed by a consumer.
Mag Instrument expects to introduce LED flashlights within the very near future. When they are introduced, we believe they will be the best LED flashlights on the market and worthy to carry the Maglite® name.
Thank you for contacting Mag Instrument.

UVvis

Enlightened
Re: This is what Mag replied when I asked them....

No one can argue that a 6D maglite is also a good club.

A 4-6D held up at head level with the battery tube sitting on your shoulder is a chambered club, ready to strike. Smaller units might have the same or more output do not have the reach (physically for impact sake) or mass to be an effective club, just a jabbing implement (E2d's). This is why many police walk up to a vehicle/person with their maglight on the left shoulder, and right hand near their holster. A non-weapon weapon is always useful, and their price makes them nearly disposable duty items.

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
Re: This is what Mag replied when I asked them....

Thanks, Donovan, for the feedback from Maglite. To me, their comments about rapid change imply that their new product(s) will have a patented, replaceable LED module/sandwich so that their LED lights can be simply upgraded by consumers as technology advances, say every three years or so. This would provide a better revenue stream than simple hot-wire incandescent bulbs. JMO.

MrBenchmark

Enlightened
Re: An incomplete treatise on Mag\'s existence

[ QUOTE ]
ABTOMAT said:
Thought three is on the new factory deal. I don't know much about what's actually going on, so I'll come out and say I can't even fathom a guess. I will, however, say that I doubt you can read too much into it. You probably can't say they WILL be making new products, or WILL be tooling up to make their stuff cheaper. The truth is probably in between somewhere. The current lights could be improved in technology without much in the way of new machines. You also probably can only make them only so quickly or cheaply. I bet that you'll see some new stuff in the future but at the moment it'll be cheaper lights or higher profit margins.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can definitely read into it that they are trying to cost reduce their lights - their current want ads state this explicitly! They have a number of positions open for engineers skilled in manufacturing automation. If they aren't trying to cost-reduce, then making a new factory in the USA makes zero sense. Really, way less than zero sense. I worked for a fairly high-volume manufacturing company once - we had a facility in Juarez, Mexico. It was reasonably well automated, and labor was inexpensive. WE couldn't compete with the manufacturing costs in some other countries becuase even the labor in Juarez was too expensive. (Trust me, nobody, but nobody here in the US would work for what the folks in Juarez got paid.)

I don't understand why they haven't dabbled in some of the newer technologies and released some lights. Even if these lights were significantly higher end-user cost than the typical Mag light, they'd get two benefits:
1. These would likely be HIGH profit margin items. Even if the sales were small, each high-end light would represent the profit from a large number of normal maglights.
2. They'd get practical, real-world experience from doing this that they could use to build the kind of super-cost reduced, relatively high quality lights that they sell to the masses.

So if they aren't trying to make the new factory super-efficient, I think there is some probability that it will kill them.

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu

The factory has to be efficient and flexible. Technology is turning into fashion. Look at cell phones and Apple's iPods. Their product lifetimes are about 9 months or so. Maglites are decades old. They need to embrace change, not avoid it.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast

PhotonBoy -

I don't totally disagree with you. I think that right now the general public views flashlights as useful little things. Many people view them as tools but those same people may be fine with a wacked up Phillips head screwdriver. Others need a good screwdriver. Even others think a high-carbon steel screwdriver is what they should have. Let's go to multi-tools. 20 years ago not too many. 10 years ago fairly common. Today dudes are walking around with $75.00 multi-tools and it's almost in style. Saturday morning dawn the Levis, work boots, cell phone and Leatherman/Gerber.

Flashlight technology as a style? I'm for it and I do my part to propel it. Heck, I've recently experienced co-workers comparing their key chain LEDs. Gotta love it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Donovan –

"Mag Instrument expects to introduce LED flashlights within the very near future."

Interesting. Just one leetle suggestion. It might not be the best idea to paste an email on a BB w/o the sender's permission.

Still, that information was informative and I thank you for it. I think the sender's assertion of a 300% decrease in beam distance capability may be overstating the decrease when using a textured reflector. If a big 6D Mag can throw 100 yards in complete darkness a 30% decrease would mean 70 yards. A 100% percent decrease would mean no light./ubbthreads/images/graemlins/au.gif A 300% decrease would mean that the hypothetical Mag 6D would actually be sucking ambient light out of the atmosphere. To steal a line from Victor Maitland in Beverly Hills Cop, "Really? That would be a neat trick." I think this is one of the few times my math is correct so for now I'll consider that it was possibly a typo and the sender meant 30% decrease in throw.

It is good to know that Mag does at least respond to some emails. This email was the most promising I've known of. I suspect M. I., as do other companies, reads CPF. With as many proven LED combos that have been presented here it wouldn't surprise me if they did eventually come up with an LED light. I further suspect they now know about the luxeon lottery and are trying to figure that out. How about a white 3W Mag3C for $49.99?

Maybe they'll give CPF members a 300% discount. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif