Have a problem

Cornkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like my E2e and use it. Last night it stopped working.
I took the bezel off and put a kl1 on, it worked. ( so obviously something is wrong with the bezel/bulb)

I took the bulb out and whipped out my digital voltmeter. The bulb was not conducting and seemed to be open-circuited.

Next I looked at the bulb, its tungsten filament was still there, in nice condition. I think there is something wrong with the mn03! Should I send it into Surefire, or just buy a new one? (I've only had it since December 24)

-tom

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the two metal pieces on the base you can see where the contact wires touch, try testing resistance by touching those.

If you're brave you can pop the positive contact off and do more investigating.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Tom,

Call SureFire and explain to them your situation. It is likely that there is something wrong with the Lamp Assembly.

Al

Cornkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
chevrofreak, I did. Nothing. There seems to be some kind of greyish cement between the bulb and the contacts. I believe there is some sort of break in one of the wires within the 'concrete'.

-tom

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
That sucks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif I bet if you call Surefire they'll send you a new one at no charge. If you have the ability to do so, taking a picture of the filament in the bulb to prove its still intact might help, but it probably wont be necessary.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
I fed four NiMH to a MM 2AA bulb once. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif bet the little MM has never had it so bright, short of a sandwich.

The amazing thing is that the filament never broke, but the resistance became extremely high, I think something in the order of 400 ohms if I was reading my DMM correct in those early days. The bulb never lit up, but it did pass a continuity check and a tiny bit of current. It's just that its resistance became extremely high.

I'd suspect that the E2e's bulb has gone the same way. If the bulb has had only one or two power-on hours, give them a ring, otherwise, it's a busted bulb - give jcciv a ring /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll bet surefire will send you a replacement. Ive heard their customer service is excellent. Ive got an E2e, an E1e, and a KL1 head on the way to me as we speak to go with my E2d Defender.

Shane

DaGeek

Enlightened
Give surefire a call and they will send you a replacement Pronto!!

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
So did you try a fresh set of batteries (referring to your other post on this topic)?

-Keith

Cornkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
YES. They are at 3.05 Volts and are new. I have tried several sets. Its all the same. I used my digital mutimeter on the bulb, and there seemed to be a break in the circuit. ( no resistance reading)

-tom

Cornkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
YES!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I can officially confirm that Surefire is sending me a replacement MN03 bulb! YAH!!

-tom