Recommendation Needed For 30"-32" Non-HDTV

Marty Weiner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Recommendation Needed For 30\"-32\" Non-HDTV

My old JVC just died a nasty death and I want a flat-screen replacement with numerous composite & S Video inputs.

I also want a unit that is as small as possible since space is a problem in my family room.

Circuit City has some Samsung and Sony units that fit the bill but, of course, they are out of stock. Since they weight 100-110 pounds I need free shipping from them.

Any thoughts?

Samoan

Enlightened
Re: Recommendation Needed For 30\"-32\" Non-HDTV

Just went through this myself a while back.

My recommendation is to go with JVC again. IME they are teh best bang for your buck TV. A close second (and only because spec for spec they are more expensive) is Toshiba.

I've found that the worst bang for the buck comes from Sony, but they are easy to find and compare.
-F

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well, I say screw non-HD, 30-32"!!

Go out and buy a new Sanyo 80" Plasma TV!!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif (of course this is not possible if you are at all less rich than Bill Gates /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif )

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast

Honestly, Toshiba, Sony, and Sanyo have never failed me in TV performance /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

tiktok 22

Flashlight Enthusiast

Got a Sony 32" that's never failed me....except for the remote. One of the buttons quite working, but a little aluminum foil on the backside of the button fixed the problem.

BF Hammer

Enlightened

Marty, I'm curious why anybody would spend the money on a larger TV that is non-HD right now. The FCC is requiring that all broadcasters transition to HDTV in 2006 (there is talk of postponing this to 2009) and the non-HD television sets will become obsolete without a HDTV converter.

I could see buying a cheap TV for a specific need that you don't mind replacing in 2 or 3 years.

Marty Weiner

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
BF Hammer said:

I could see buying a cheap TV for a specific need that you don't mind replacing in 2 or 3 years.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly.

tech

Newly Enlightened

check out this months comsumer reports... it has a huge section on all things TV.

Summary:
Sony has the highest rated LCD tv's, Philips has a recommended 26"
Sony and panasonic have the highest rated CRT TV's in 36 and 32" sets.

Check it out, if you don't get it, or don't want to buy it, just cruise a news stand or bookstore.

TK

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast

This month's CR is only about HDTV.

If you're not opposed to going down to a 27", the Sanyo flat screen model that is exclusive to Wal-Mart is a recently rated "Best Buy" from CR. I just bought one of these for a friend, and it is indeed a nice set. One component, and two composite inputs (all on back, no front inputs). It was $228 at the local Wallyworld.

Peter

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast

We just replaced a dying bedroom TV with the 27" Sanyo from WalMart. I continue to be amazed at the performance for the price.

Marty Weiner

Flashlight Enthusiast

The 27" Sanyo may be a little too small for me but I'll buzz over to Wally World to take a look. We have the only Wal-Mart Supercenter in California and it's open 24 hours a day!

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast

my mom buys the cheapo sanyo walmart type tv's

2 years later or so I have to fix it for her.
you get what you pay for.
I have 3 hitachi tv's smallest one 36"

no problems with any of them and they have a great picture.

hitachi developed the high contrast high ouput phosphors that are used in tv crts.- among other things.

Draco_Americanus

Enlightened

My vote goes for a sony wega (vega as they say it) Over all they are good tv's, just don't drop one! Or blow out your back!
JVC and panasonic are ok too. IMHO I would just get an HD tv of the same size of your current"dead" tv But thats just Me.

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
markdi said:
my mom buys the cheapo sanyo walmart type tv's

[/ QUOTE ]

How much money you spend is not always an indicator of quality. I would not consider Sanyo a "cheapo" brand at all. Sanyo is a major OEM for many companies, and they make quality stuff. I've never been disappointed in any Sanyo product I've owned. According to CR reports repair data (submitted by readers via survey) Sanyo has the lowest repair rate of all, for 25-27" analog televisions.

Peter

Saaby

Flashaholic

I also have to ask why you're not buying a HDTV.

We have a Toshiba TV and love it. We're on at least year 6 with no problems, and it's the only TV in the house. Replaced a Zenith console TV that ran for 20 years /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

So you don't want to buy a nice TV that will last 10 or 15 years when HDTV is here today. Either buy something cheap that will last only a few years, or get a HDTV.

Draco_Americanus

Enlightened

I have not heard of any bad problems with Sanyo, RCA or GE I would avoid them like the plague they are.

Zenith used to have some problems but most people I know that have owned them (My self included) have not had any reliablity problems.(knock on wood) My dad's Zenith lasted 12 years before it had a problem (thats on the "to fix" list)

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast

FWIW: 25-27" TVs purchased from '99-'04, ranked in ascending order from least likely to need repair service to most likely:

Sanyo
Sharp
Toshiba
Sony
JVC
Panasonic
Philips
Zenith
Samsung
RCA

Peter

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic

After repair at roughly 8 years my RCA 32" is rocking and rolling again. I don't know how I lived without it.

But should I buy again, I think Sanyo gets the nod.

ledlurker

Enlightened

I got a 36" Sony Wega for under $600 tax included. I think they mis priced it.
I am not worried about the HDTV issue