HELP with green lasers!!!

Ghost_Snare

Newly Enlightened
I am very interested in buying a green laser dmx light and have a few questions. First off I was thinking about one that is 4.59mw and I was planning on putting it in my apartment room which is 20x30 feet and I was just wondering if this is safe. I have two red lasers that are 4.59mw and they don't blind people so how about the green 4.59mw green laser?? I know green is alot brighter but would it be safe for a group of friends to sit on the bed like 28 feet away from the laser and watch the show. It'd be scanning so the beams would not be static in someone's eyes and it would just be moving all around. Is this safe??? I think 4.59mw are safe for this but I want to make sure. Also if anybody knows, are the Omnisistem Magic Box and Rockstar lights any good?? Thanks in advance, Brett

liteglow

Enlightened
5mW is safe !
I got a 158mW laser that i use in my small rom.. there is no problem using that one WITH CARE !

Anyway a 5mW is no problem /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif just dont point in the eyes..

Ghost_Snare

Newly Enlightened
how about a 30mw laser?? There's one on eBay that has good dmx control but I don't know if I can use that without danger...thanks!!

Ghost_Snare

Newly Enlightened
well what about if it scans past the people for a millisecond?? How else can you look down the TUNNELS and all those effects??

Kiessling

Flashaholic
AFAIK 5mW is the safety limit where your blink-reflex is faster than the occuring damage in the eye. Above that power, you are not able to protect your eyes (by blinking) faster than the laser will damage them, so you're out of luck.
In addition to common sense (!) , there are the legal aspects to consider.
bernhard

Ghost_Snare

Newly Enlightened
well...I figure I'll just stick with the 4.59mw lasers. Probably get a Green Stinger laser from Omnisistem. That way I can program it so it stays above the people and any tunnels will be pushed out to the sides as to not hit them in the face...I think I'm pretty safe with the <5mw lasers they make.

Bond007

Newly Enlightened
If it's literally a millisecond then I presume it would be fine. I think a human's blink reflex is about 1/50th of a second and thats 20 milliseconds so...

comozo

Enlightened
I learned this from a posting at alt.lasers. If I can find the post I will post a link or quote.The CDRH has jurisdiction when there is commerce involved which can be for profit or non-profit in a public setting. Since Ghost Snare's intention is to do this within his home for hisself and friends the CDRH has no jurisdiction. He can if he desires use any wattage laser display system without penalties.

Ghost_Snare

Newly Enlightened
OK....anybody know about the "Cosmic Storm" laser (also known as the Omnisistem ROCKSTAR) and how good it is for arial effects?? They have it at Extremelasers.com and I was thinking about getting this one...do you know if it has nice and smooth tunnels, liquid skies, and beam effects?? THANKS for any help and somebody out there must know something about this unit. I know you can't program it very much but it might be good enough for me to start with...thanks, Brett