Improve My Rechargeable Maglite?

berklee46

Newly Enlightened
I've had my Rechargeable Maglite for about 13 years and use it daily for work as a police officer. I thought I'd heard about a way to convert it to an LED light, but I could be mistaken. I think it'd be interesting to do if there was a way.

If not, can someone give me some tips on how to improve this light? Whether it's making it brighter, stay bright longer, last longer in general, etc.

Thanks for any comments.

turbodog

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
berklee46 said:
I've had my Rechargeable Maglite for about 13 years and use it daily for work as a police officer. I thought I'd heard about a way to convert it to an LED light, but I could be mistaken. I think it'd be interesting to do if there was a way.

If not, can someone give me some tips on how to improve this light? Whether it's making it brighter, stay bright longer, last longer in general, etc.

Thanks for any comments.

[/ QUOTE ]

The stock mag battery is 2.2 Ah 6 Volt. There are some upgraded batteries available aftermarket that pretty much double runtime. Mag doesn't make them, and I'm not sure where they are from.

Also, welch allyn makes some replacement bulbs that will more than double the output, but runtime (on a stock pack) will drop to 30-45 minutes (from the original 2 hours). These bulbs are available at www.flashlightlens.com

berklee46

Newly Enlightened
Thanks. I've contacted flashlightlens.com and they don't expect to have the bulbs in stock for a few weeks anyway. I'll keep checking their site.

Is there a similar bulb that I could use to replace the stock one in my Streamlight Stinger to get the same results?

Thanks

berklee46

Newly Enlightened
Thanks. I don't have the HP model, just the plain old rechargeable Stinger. I cam across this thread, but have to spend some time trying to understand this technical stuff. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Stinger Upgrade Thread

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the pictures in that thread worked it would be a lot more self-explanitory,, lol.

Shane

Oh by the way, welcome to the forums!

berklee46

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the welcome.

The pictures did work when I originally read that thread earlier, but I can't see them anymore either, and I know I couldn't have screwed *them* up!
Reagarding that thread, I don't see myself spending almost $100 to improve the Stinger when I'm thinking about buying a new LED light to replace it. But I'm still going to try and improve the Mag.

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast
you could make a MC60, do a search for it in the forums. or an MC85 i think even. although im not so up to speed on MagCharger mods. Mostly i just know about the mods for the standard 2C and 3D sized Mags what arent rechargable.

Shane

oklalawman

Enlightened
Check Ginsengs threads on magcharger mods. The 1160 makes a superbright light ...like 500 lumens compared to the stock
180 lumens. Check in the dealer section there are two peeps who sale supebulbs. There has been talk about doing a bulk buy for powerstream 3800 mah batteries. That would put your run time back over an hour. I too am a police officer. I have a mag 60 and two stingers both with the HP head. I have one of fivemega's adapters and am waiting for the batteries. stay safe