FDA Cert

Empath

Flashaholic
Thanks, LM. That's useful information. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

liteglow

Enlightened
to all the ADMIN at CPF:
Why is there illegal advertising at CPF site ???

if u not understand what i talk about, i talk about the "wicked extrem laser" that is on top of the page!

all laser above 5mW is illegal to sell .. correct ?

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Incorrect AFAIK. IMHO >5mW has to comply to certian rules (FDA) and might be sold to certain persons.
Following the CPF policies CPF won't get involved in private transactions between memers and dealers, and it is completely up to those parties to deciide wether a sale is legal or not.

However, the issue of the advertising was discussed and will be left alone right now.

bernhard

P.S.: might have PMed about this though ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

SuperBert

Enlightened
what will this do to the purchase of PGLIII's in the usa? im starting a groupbuy forum for them this weekend. they are not "illegal" in the eyes of the fda right?

liteglow

Enlightened
superBert: u maybe search for a license to use high power laser, then there shoud be no problem buying them into USA ? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Honestly ... I do not know /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif, sorry.
If you are planning a gb you might want to do some research on this first since obviously such a shipment might get destroyed at customs if judged non-compatible to US-laws as I understand it.
bernhard

EDIT: spelling

Empath

Flashaholic
The laser pictured in Wickedlasers' banner ad isn't illegal for them to sell, since some can purchase, import and use them lawfully. There are some people that don't qualify to do so legally. Even though CPF is in the U.S., and has many citizens that do not qualify to legally purchase them, doesn't mean that no one can purchase them. As Wickedlasers shows in their FAQ,you need to ascertain as to whether you have the legal right. To the best of my knowledge, there is no restriction in the U.S. to advertising them.

senecaripple

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
SuperBert said:
what will this do to the purchase of PGLIII's in the usa? im starting a groupbuy forum for them this weekend. they are not "illegal" in the eyes of the fda right?

[/ QUOTE ]
time is of the essence, the fda has not yet identified the all of manufacturers yet. with all of the bureaucratic red tape. there is still time according to the fda website. they may speed things up if there is another pilot lasing incident. but there hasnt been one since the nj incident last xmas. eventually i suspect they will target cni and wicked laser from exporting to amateurs, hobbyists like us.

Lasernerd

Enlightened
The Great Pacific Northwest,home of the Goonies,Sh
Anybody in the USA can buy any power of laser they want.
It is just the laws about them to be used in the presence of the general public.I have been in contact with CDRH all day e-mails back and forth..
new regulatory constraints are being wrote up as we speak.
The hammer is coming down!

edit: added info

wintermute

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Lasernerd said:
It is just the laws about them to be used in the presence of the general public.

[/ QUOTE ]

But isn't it illegal to sell a laser pointer which is labeled as a Class IIIa device at a power output of 80mW? Let's not kid ourselves that the high power phoenix lasers are simply unfinished laser products to be installed in some other type of setup. They ARE fully functional laser pointers which exceed Class IIIa limits by 65-75mW. Class IIIb devices must have an key switch, a two second delay time, a laser emission indicator, plus some type of mechanical shutter to close the aparture. These pointers do not conform to any of these specifications, yet somehow they slide by.

Edit: added.

senecaripple

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
wonka187 said:
[ QUOTE ]
Lasernerd said:
It is just the laws about them to be used in the presence of the general public.

[/ QUOTE ]

But isn't it illegal to sell a laser pointer which is labeled as a Class IIIa device at a power output of 80mW? Let's not kid ourselves that the high power phoenix lasers are simply unfinished laser products to be installed in some other type of setup. They ARE fully functional laser pointers which exceed Class IIIa limits by 65-75mW. Class IIIb devices must have an key switch and a two second delay time, plus some way to close the aparture. These pointers do not conform to any of these specifications, yet somehow they slide by.

[/ QUOTE ]

you think the fda or customs going to measure the power of each laser that enters the u.s? even a random check? i think customs are more concerned about drugs and plutonium entering our shores. it's a good thing it wasnt terrorists using lasers on pilots or we all be on their watch, or worst, our lasers confsicated.

sharkeeper

Enlightened
In the sticks of the Badlands of the East
[ QUOTE ]
But isn't it illegal to sell a laser pointer which is labeled as a Class IIIa device at a power output of 80mW? Let's not kid ourselves that the high power phoenix lasers are simply unfinished laser products to be installed in some other type of setup. They ARE fully functional laser pointers which exceed Class IIIa limits by 65-75mW. Class IIIb devices must have an key switch, a two second delay time, a laser emission indicator, plus some type of mechanical shutter to close the aparture. These pointers do not conform to any of these specifications, yet somehow they slide by.

[/ QUOTE ]

Time's are changin'

Cheers!

Raccoon

Enlightened
I know I've been warned not to question the rules and guidelines of this forum, but I hope my replying to this thread of discussion does not infringe upon that warning.

I just wish to point out that if Wicked Lasers' banner is permitted, then it is setting a double standard.

[*] Standard 1: All things posted and visible on this forum must conform to USA laws and provisions.

That is, people in China or elsewhere in the world may not post pictures of high power lasers being used in any way that may break US laws, even if the pictures were taken in China. We don't want kids accidentally stumbling upon something that may be illegal for them to do or purchase.

[*] Standard 2: All things posted and visible on this forum must be carefully scrutinized by the reader as it may not be legal in your locality (eg: USA).

That is, people like Wicked Lasers are allowed to post their wares even though all of their products are technically illegal within the United States. It is for the viewer to decern this and acknolwege that only other countries may legally purchase from Wicked Lasers.

Contrary to popular belief, I'm not trying to cause trouble for trouble sake. I just want this double standard to be acknowledged. Wicked Lasers may be paying good money for their ad, but they should be asked to conform to the site's rules in All-Things-USA-Friendly.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
AFAIK selling and purchasing >5mW pointers inside the USA isn't forbidden. However , it is regulated and you might not be allowed to purchase one personally. THis is up to you and the vendor to sort out, CPF won't get involved.

Shining >5mW around outside is forbidden, is a politically hot topic and might serve as an example for others to copy, which we do not want. CPF will not tolerate a display of such activity here.

So, it is a difficult situation, I agree, but it isn*'t a double standard.

bernhard

P.S.: banner ads are cheap on CPF /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

P.P.S.: Raccoon, the warning wasn't about discussion of those important regulations. Actually this thread can serve a very good purpose if is manages to clear up some important questions while staying civil ...