blue lasers

i

Newly Enlightened
With blue laser dvd players coming out later this year, do you think the price of blue laser diodes/pointers will come down to a reasonable, possibly cheap, price?

SuperBert

Enlightened
they already have, the CNI blue PGLIII is only 6 hundred something, compared to 2000+ for just a single diode for a pointer...

SuperBert

Enlightened
im doing one this weekend... its going to be for the blue, yellow, and green PGLIII's... just waiting for a reply back from CNI, then ill be starting the thread under groupbuys.

kongfuchicken

Flashlight Enthusiast
The newest blue ray disc players use blue laser diodes.
I can't imagine their price at launch but it's certainly good news as if it's successful, large production will drive down the cost of such diodes until we'll see blue laser pointers for no more than what red ones cost today. That is, if they find a way to make blue ray as common as dvd player is nowadays.
Wait and see...

wolfblue

Newly Enlightened
I think Sam G has some 405nm 5mw for 400 USD.
Just for the diode.
They may be at MrGizmos.com
Or Sam's classified page

kongfuchicken

Flashlight Enthusiast
405nm are violet diodes, aren't they?
Wow! Blue ray sounds cool but a even shorter wavelenght would be better if they higher data density...

Cornkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is very true! The frequency is pretty high... I have never heard of a Violet laser though... Ultraviolet light yes... but not a violet laser...

-tom

wolfblue

Newly Enlightened
Dont know, but Nichia owns the patent for this particular fab method. Many companies make them but must pay royalties so the price will come down very slowly.

SuperBert

Enlightened
will anyone be interested in the group buy then? not trying to make this a groupbuy thread, just wondering very quickly

SuperBert

Enlightened
around 600-650... still waiting for the exact amount from cni, but thats ABOUT how much it will be for both a 5mw blue, as well as a >150mw green

sbk

Newly Enlightened
If I remember, the blue directly injected laser diodes are 440nm? This means, to obtain a great visibility with this wavelenght, the laser pointer has to be quite powerful, or we have a poor visibility with the legal 5mW...
These are the laser used in the Blu-ray. So these are the lasers which the price is going to decrease with the time.

The CNI blue portable module is a DPSS module which emit at 473nm, which is a lot more visible. But, this type of laser will not be used by the common public, meaning that the price will not decrease /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

i

Newly Enlightened
I can't wait for the blue to come in price. I want to attempt to make a white laser projector using the green, red & blue diodes.

sbk

Newly Enlightened
Yes, it's my dream too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif I have the green, soon the red and later the blue lol