New green pointer, questions ?

benuk

Newly Enlightened
Hi there, I am new to here, and have bought a 5mw green pointer off someone on ebay. I dont think it is a leadlight, but the description said " The laser module inside the pointer is exactly the same as that used in LeadLight models"

My question is, when I turn on the pointer, the dot (for the first few seconds) seems to go bright for a second, then dim for a second, then bright (for the rest of the time I have it on, usually (occasionaly small fluctuations) Is this normal? or do I have a defective laser? I have tried different batteries with no change.

thanks in advance!

LaserMod

Enlightened
You are shorting/connecting the pot to the case - wrap some cellotape around the shaft to insulate from the rim of where the button usually sits.

Shorting the pot in the old models causes one of the transistors to switch and keep the power at maximum - this is where you see the power stay at this level until you turn off the pointer - and the transistor resets resuming the original power.

Just insulate the screwdriver and hold the switch whilst you turn the pot...there doesn't appear to be a fault. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Although you won't be able to get the power you see when shorting the pot - you should still get 10-15mw. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

Alot of people think they will get a steady increase in power as the pot is turned up. It is rare that this is the case as the output will tend to be very unstable as the adjustments are made. It is all to do with MCA and the variations is frequency from the pump diode. In some cases you may find a higher output from only half current or lower. The MCA just prefers a certain frequency where it will be most efficient in converting the light to green. Due to manufacturing variances the MCA can prefer small differences above or below the 808nm that the diode provides.

To cut short - you need to turn the pot to find the brightest spot not the highest current in some cases.

Cheers.

LaserMod

Enlightened
Oh BTW, welcome to CPF Benuk. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

DaFiend

Enlightened
Umm, LM, i don't think Benuk has started to mod his pointer yet. Am i right Benuk? Sounds like a defective pointer. Alot of pointers i've seen have done this(or similar dramatic fluctuations), and some sellers will try and tell you it's "normal". It isn't. Yes, green laserpointers will fluctuate in power as they warm up, but it shouldn't be to a degree from a bright dot, to something you can barely see.

Consider if it was a flashlight........ not normal behaviour. Contact your seller for an exchange or refund.

Do you have a link for the particular auction? I'd like to get a look at this pointer. Who is the manufacturer that is stated on the warning label? I hope its not a transverse.........

Welcome to CPF! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

benuk

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replys guys, I have not started to mod my pointer, this is just right out of the box. It does not go as dim that you can hardly see it, perhaps a quarter dimmer than normal.

Time Line - /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

0sec - press on button (normal bright dot)
0.5sec-1/2sec - about a quarter dimmer (some flickering)
1/2sec++ - normal bright dot

It does not say on the label (looks like it is made in the US, by the 'complies with 21CRF 1040.10 etc' writing.

Here is the url if you want to look at it - http://www.ledset.com/electronics/laser/index.htm

thanks

LaserMod

Enlightened
Ahhh, sorry I read the post too quickly and read "turn" somewhere in there and thought it was another mod q.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif

Yeah as Dafriend said sometimes pointers are like this. I would consider small flickers on pointers above 5mw normal as the pointer is simply warming up. Some also start stable at half power then suddenly jump to full power after a couple of seconds. But again that is above 5mw, try keeping the pointer on for 30sec continuous (a kind of burn-in period) but if that doesn't resolve it I would get it changed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

DaFiend

Enlightened
Benuk, it sounds like you obviously aren't satisfied with this pointer.
Should take advantage of their 14 day money back garauntee( or ask for a replacement). Fom the link you posted:

[ QUOTE ]
14 Day Money Back Guarantee
All our green laser pointers are tested for power and collimation before they leave us. If for any reason you're not entirely satisfied with your new green laser pointer then you may return it within 14 days of purchase in order to claim an instant no quibbles paypal refund*

*In case of refund buyer to pay outward p&p (£1.50 deducted from refund)

[/ QUOTE ]
But i don't know how this will be effected by purchasing from ebay........

bootleg2go

Enlightened
I agree, send it back for a new one. No sense getting a brand new one that you paid so much for, only to have it be flakey.

Jack

benuk

Newly Enlightened
The seller is the same as the website, I emailed him yesterday, he said it was no problem to get a replacement, I returned the pointer this morning, so hopefully I will have a new one by the end of next week.