360nm UV Mag85 and miniHID

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ordered the mag D cell accessory pack from brightguy. I also ordered a 49mm 360nm max UV pass filter from here. I could have ordered a slim version but I wanted it NOW!

The 49mm lens snaps right into the filter holder of the D cell accessory pack PERFECTLY. Its like it was made for this.

Fired up the miniHID, slipped on the beam filter and it blew my Inova X5T 395nm UV away. The whites flouresced a lot brighter. (The inova has more violet than I care for).

Fired up the Mag85, slipped the beam filter on and it worked just like the miniHID in terms of lighting up 'stains' but it also radiated a faint red glow on things that dont fluoresce. Still worked fine though.

I'll post some shots of all the lights later in the 'Homemade and Modified lights' section.

Know one thing. It's not going to light up the whole room. The filter is thick. But the hotspot is the center of attention and I can throw that UV hotspot well across the room and beyond.

Anyone wanting a low cost UV alternative should consider this easy, no-nonsense setup. It cost me less than $40.

Dandrop

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the update! At that pricepoint, imight have to try out your setup. Can't wait for the pics.

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow! Nifty find for the Mag85.

I'll keep that in mind the next time I need to spot blood, semen or other bodily fluids at a distance of 100 yards. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Wilkey

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bet that sucker gets hot fast!! especially on the incadecent mag85!! hotwires make more infared than UV, probably why you're getting red glow, there's just so much that the filter can only absorb so much. I imagine a thiner one would also let more visable light out.

Not very efficient heh. We just need a small low power arc lighting flashlight type thing they used in the early tanning beds. That'd make some UV!

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Mag85 gets the UV filter pretty hot fast but it is glass and seems to handle it well. The miniHID produces more UV than the Mag85 and it doesn't get hot at all. Of course, the miniHID is only 500+ lumens.

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Beamshots posted in 'Homemade and Modified lights'. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know on the other thread we discussed how little UV normal incandescent bulbs put out but is there any chanc you might try this filter on a 'normal' incandescent Mag bulb?

Just for posterity's sake?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did it with a Mag85 and shown one picture of it in 'Homemade' section. Do you mean you want me to try it with an unmodified mag? Not enough light output of any wavelegth to make it past the filter unless its modded for 500+ lumens.

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
***update***

In the middle of the night with either miniHID or Mag85 set on flood...AWESOME! Yes, it flouresces the whole floor in a room. Make sure its almost pitch black and flood this baby.

I'm happy with the filter now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif Too dim for me to take some cool pictures. I suck with a camera. Now I have to go do some cleaning... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
markdi said:
would a 35 watt hid source over power the filter ?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it would. I would love to try but the filter I ordered is only big enought for a mag lite sized flashlight.

They do have them as big as 122mm. Mine is 49mm. The 122mm one is $240. The 49mm one is $30.

If you have an X990 then the 105mm lens (plus 3mm for the rubber edge) should firmly sit right in front of the X990 lens with no filter holder. Its only $192.50.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hrmm. Well, a Mag74 is my next project. I might think about it then. I wonder if one was to slightly scuff up the center of the other lens (the cheap one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif ) in the center (ala cheapie flashlights with the center blurred) if that would reduce the glare in the center of the beam on the Mag85.

Anyway, I still think this is just cool as hell. Not I'm not cool as hell and that's why I don't have an HID like you.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif and /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif and You /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

Andreas

Enlightened
Hey my deluxe MaxaBeam set comes with a UV filter and pouch included for the MaxaBeam. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does is filter out the UV or does it only allow UV light to pass through and at what wavelength?

vacuum3d

Enlightened
pitbull,
Wonderful tip. I was just looking to find some strong UV leds in the last few days. I've gotta try this.

Thx,
ernest

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, there's a whole lotta filters that filter out UV but I assume on the Maxabeam it would be to allow UV to pass. I think it's part of their super cool CSI package.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

I only make light of it because I can't afford a Maxabeam.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif