Klarus
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Introducing "Quadamire" and "Minetrois"

Default Introducing \"Quadamire\" and \"Minetrois\"

After seeing JimH's MagSC with Carley 606. I really got really envious and started thinking what can I do to keep the LED vs. Incadescent battle ranging ... well at least in "Mini" world. Well I finally had enough time & resource to get "Quadamire" and "Minetrois" together. Nothing special about them, just regulated, shorter, brighter, whiter and a tad bit colorful [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

== "Quadamire" Specs ===
    Mag1D (152mm body)
    * 60mm shorter than Mag2D
    2x FatMan driver (latest version)
    4x Luxeon III TWAK
    4x IMS SO20XA reflectors
    1x Ultra-Void len
    3x 14500 Li-Ion batteries
    344g | 12.2oz w/o batteries
    435g | 15.4oz with batteries
    4x (67.2 - 87.4) = 270 – 350 Lumens.

== "Minetrois" Specs ===
    MagSC (153mm body)
    * 25mm shorter than Mag2C
    1x FatMan driver
    3x Luxeon III TWOK
    3x IMS SO20XA reflectors
    1x Ultra-Clear len
    2x Pilas 150s batteries | 3x CR123
    318g | 11.2oz w/o batteries
    405g | 14.2oz with batteries
    3x (67.2 - 87.4) = 202 – 262 Lumens.

OK you made it past the technical [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mpr.gif[/img] let's just see all the pictures.
    All beamshots are made from an 8 feet distance to the ceiling.

"Minetrois" & "Quadamire" & Mag2D

"Quadamire" & "Minetrois" dis-assembled.

Nuwai QIII & R123 -> Quadamire | Nuwai QIII & R123 -> Minetrois
    Canon A80 | Manual | ISO100 | Shutter 0.5s | Aperature F5.0 | Auto White balance

Canon A80 | Manual | ISO100 | Shutter 1/10s | Aperature F5.0 | Auto White balance

Canon A80 | Manual | ISO100 | Shutter 1/50s | Aperature F5.0 | Auto White balance

Canon A80 | Manual | ISO100 | Shutter 1/100s | Aperature F5.0 | Auto White balance

Quadamire -> Minetrois
    Canon A80 | Manual | ISO100 | Shutter 0.5s | Aperature F5.0 | Auto White balance

Quadamire -> Minetrois
    Canon A80 | Manual | ISO100 | Shutter 1/10s | Aperature F5.0 | Auto White balance

Quadamire -> Minetrois
    Canon A80 | Manual | ISO100 | Shutter 1/50s | Aperature F5.0 | Auto White balance

Quadamire -> Minetrois
    Canon A80 | Manual | ISO100 | Shutter 1/100s | Aperature F5.0 | Auto White balance

Quadamire -> Minetrois
    Canon A80 | Manual | ISO100 | Shutter 1/250s | Aperature F5.0 | Auto White balance

"Minetrois" @ max -> MiniHID after 2 minutes
    Canon A80 | Manual | ISO100 | Shutter 8s | Aperature F5.0 | Auto White balance

* Now open comments | criticism | what ever you got to post [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Default Re: Introducing \"Quadamire\" and \"Minetrois\"

Very nice sequence of beam shots. I saw this light in person it is REALLY bright. Great work, mm.

Great Job,
    Have to hide my billfold when I see your posts.

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
    How's the runtime? How hot does these goes after about 15 minutes continuous?

Will you offer these -- I *MAY* be interested!

Hey Jonathan, very very nice! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif[/img]

Wow,

When do you have time to sleep? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Very nicely done and presented.

Wilkey

EXCELLENT WORK !!!!

I have been wanting to make a 3x3W C size mag, love my 3x3W 2D mag, but would love it in a smaller package.

Those look fantastic, love that green color. (if anyone can get me a C mag in one of those green/blue colors I would greatly apreciate it) [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I wasnt sure 4 20mm reflectors would fit well, do you think, with alittle maching maybe, that 4 would fit in a C mag?

Hey Jonathan,

Are you using stars or emitters?
    Is the heatsink epoxied to the head?

Thanks.

[ QUOTE ]
    modamag said:
    * Now open comments | criticism | what ever you got to post [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Very, Very nice!

You are being quite the enabler here I have been trying to build up my Maxa Beam fund and you keep waving your cut down 1D under my nose that I want so badly and now a Tri and Quad Lux, I don’t know how much more I can take so STOP IT OK [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif[/img]

I am very curious of what kind of run time you can get from the Quadamire with the EL holder that is a sweet light [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif[/img]

Later
    Kelly

Flashaholic

Modamag,

Beautiful lights! Is the Menageatrois -oops, meant Minetrois- the one you had at the Bay Area get together last weekend, or is it a shorter version? The one you brought was *very* cool.

Flashaholic

Would Quadamire work with a 2D host, using your 8AA to 2D converters, running AA alkalines (or primary lithiums)? Or would that be too much voltage for the converter?

How would runtime be with such a setup?

Thanx guys for all your comments & praises. I can only take 25% of the credit. The others must go to b2eze, george80, and our super cool machine shop. Because without them this 3 months dream would never materialize.

Sorry for no runtime chart. I'm still waiting for the "CPF Logger Lite".
    Minetrois have ~35+ minutes on 2x Pila 150S, 45+ min on 2x Pila 150A, and 60+ min on 3x batterystation CR123.
    Quadamire have ~25+ minutes on 3x 700mAh Li-Ion and 80+ minutes on 2100mAh NiMh.

The final version would have of J|H Vf & adjustable with a PocketMate pot to increase the runtime.

XFlash - no worry about your billfold, it's not FS yet! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
    akula88 - maybe in a month, after I tweek everything.
    Wilkey - when you have infants you never really sleep [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sleepy.gif[/img]
    jtice - only MagC colors are pewter, purple and black. No need for machining for 20mm[/b] reflector. It's all in the heat sink. Keep an eye out for "Perfect Mag Sink" ... sometime next week.
    icarus - 4x TWAK & 3x TW0K. No expoxy since it's still experimental. That's why I use the bi-pin connector [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
    Sway - same goal -> Maxa Beam, just that I want a custom modded one [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif[/img]
    Lightwave - the one you saw at the get together is Minetrois earlier prototype which is longer. Quadamire would work in Mag2D form factor with 8x Alkaline | NiCd | NiMh | Lithium. Actually that was one of the earlier prototype. With 8x Panasonic 2100 mAh NiMh, runtime is 80+ minutes.

Hey modamag, Put me down for one of those beauts..

"Actually that was one of the earlier prototype. With 8x Panasonic 2100 mAh NiMh, runtime is 80+ minutes"

Is this the one I got. Awsome light. Love it.

Thanks

Wow!!! Terrific work and excellent presentation. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif[/img]

Britt

That's like having 4 Q3Rs with one button to turn it on!!! Can't wait to get mine! No really. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif[/img]

Jonathan you need serious mental help. I think pound for pound you're going to end up seperating more people from more of their cash then even the great Arc Flashlight company did. lol. These are absolutely awesome. I was wondering what i was going to do with that cutdown 1D i got from you on the GB. I might have to get myself some more 14500's and do a 3xLuxIII. Any beamshots with these on Fraen optics or NX05's?

Shane

Great lights modamag.

How do you keep the wires from twisting while screwing on the head?

It would be a lot of extra work but you could shave another 10mm-15mm off the top of the battery tube in the interest of making it as small as possible.

I really like the shortened D M@g concept. It makes the light much more stable when you balance it on its head.

Any chance you'll do another M@g D body mod group buy? I guess I missed out [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif[/img]

Hi!

Does anybody have any comparison pictures of the Mag SC and MAg 1D VS Other lights?
    I really would like to see how the complete light looks like compared to other.

Thanx
    Benny

Favorite Thread added [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Seems like I am always missing the cool lights on this forum. I don't want to miss this one, when you offer it for sale.

I really like that purpleish blue color [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif[/img]

*Deleted*

-------------XXX------------

Flashaholic*

*deleted*

guess i'm a bit of a 'copy cat' on this one.. i just made a quad lux mag mod.. i'll be posting it in a minute.. i am curious what kind of output you are getting with this light.. do you have a light meter? Also how much output loss when it heats-up.. and if you overheat it with continuous runtime on high.. i got mine to overheat the driver and blink after about 7-8 minutes if i leave it on high without holding it to get the heat out.

Did you get a dial in yours for brightness yet?

Final note: with enough battery voltage a fatman can run 4-up lux in series.

Thanks for making inspiring stuff.. keep it up.

-awr

[ QUOTE ]
    andrewwynn said:
    Final note: with enough battery voltage a fatman can run 4-up lux in series.

-awr

[/ QUOTE ]

Andrew,

Is that with your modified FatMan or is it still in the stock configiration? George told me 12V is the max for it and 4 in series is a BIG push so I haven't tried it out yet.

Later
    Kelly

wtraymond: In order to prevent the wires from twisting you have to screw on the light head first then install the light engine afterward.

andrewwynn: At 1000mA, myself, CroMagnet & JimH recorded the Minetrois to be 7000 lux@1m & 9000 lux@1m for the Quadamire. I didn't get a chance to do a runtime lux reading yet hopefully in the near future. You know Lux reading does do justice to Multi-Lux light. The reflector have the biggest say in the results.

When the light blink/strobe it's because the thermal shutdown circuit of the fatman kicks in. It turns the light off for a short period of time when it's cool enough it turns it back on, resulting in a strobing effect.

If you pot your fatman against the Mag body you should not have this problem.
    I used a dual-channel pot in my for brightness control. Check with Vimex|Alpha.

I don't recommend using 4xLux in series for the fatman. The switcher chip will blow at approximately 3-7 minutes when set at 1000mA. Killed 3 fatman that way, just ask George [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I don't know if you still remember, but it was the Megasonic that was one of the light that kept me around CPF for ... so long.

Oh.. i'm glad there was a mention about the wires.. i noticed and forgot to mention.. beautiful to have a plug.. i did that on my megasonic and i've been sooooo glad i did since i've done a few mods on it after-the-fact.

Check out my RT4 post i'm about to put online i will have a lot of details about it.

You are VERY correct about 'do justice'.. i was very happy with the outdoor throw on the RT4 (the name we came up with for this current mod).. multi led lights really are awesome.

I only got the fatman to get to thermal shutdown when i let it run 'unattended'.. and it is set to ludicrous power levels.. i'm pulling 21W+ from the batteries.

I am definitely pushing the fatman to some limits, but that's kinda the point with a prototype.. i need to push the tester to the limit so i can figure out how much i need to de-tune the production models..

I'm putting about 1.2A through 4 UX1L emitters.. 20.5W or something total at the emitters.. that comes out to about 15.8V at the emitters and the fatman is rated for 16.0V output.

I'm actually only switching about 2.0A on the input at maximum power.. I did melt two fatmen so far, but only from over voltage on the input.. what were you using for source voltage when you killed the 3 fatmen.. the key to my solution is i'm using (3) liON for input so though i'm running 4 series lux on the output, i'm only pulling 2A on the input... I definitely consulted with george before attempting to do the 4-up.. and made the mistake of only considering the 'under load' voltage of the (3) Lions (10.8).

George's only concern for me was that i'm very close to the rated output of 16V (at 15.8).. and that even at 94% efficiency i'm putting like 1 1/4W of heat into the fatman (though fortunately it seems most of that heat is put into the diode and inductor, not the switcher chip itself)..

I did fail to mention.. that you have to have enough Vbat but not 'too much'.. i think that maybe this solution is working only because of the trick that i'm using that lets me use an input voltage over 12V.. i cut the voltage in pin on the switcher chip and it gets fed through an LED to knock the voltage down about 1.5V from Vbat... it works like a charm, and i've run the light for well over a total hour so far, most of that time at full power.

how cool about the megasonic.. it is quite an awesome light.. it's so funny now though.. the RT4 outputs TWICE the lux and 50% more lumen.. (though the megasonic can run 6 1/2 hrs straight with 3 emitters running full power). I use the megasonic more than all other lights combined since i use it every day for my room lighting vs having an overhead light on... i have to charge the battery about every 4 or 5 days and probably have it lit on the order or 4 to 5 hours/day... I don't apparently get the full watt-hour rating of the battery when using it that low of drain.. but i have actually measured over 60WH at full power.

Before laborday when i really have my 'light showcase' (weekend camping.. miles from city lights).. I will put in another 3 emitters into the megasonic.

Glad to have inspired.. it's the feedback like that that makes it work the efforts.. things are getting VERY close for finally shipping on the nanos.. and the MM is gearing up for the prototypes being ordered very soon.. hope to have a full production run by september.. 300 lumens in a pocket light.

I have a 'gigasonic' in the works.. 14 K2 emitters in the same light body.. 1400 lumen and estimated 25,000+ lux.. 35W or something like that.. so 70+minutes runtime full power.

For me it's like 'cheating'.. all these wonderful toys and they are 100% tax-deductable :-D it definitely can help justifying the costs of building the likes of the RT4.. i think the total cost of the 3 prototypes will be about $700-800 and i'm using 'knock off' raw LiON batts from taiwan.. but will be building in some protection circuitry soon... the 'RT4' is a precursor to a product i plan to sell.. turnkey mod for mags.. 1 through 4 emitters.. user's choice.. so you can power them from stock cells or get the 'big boy' and have to use a 9AA -> 3D adapter, etc.

-awr

Flashaholic

You guys are killing me [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]. I work and work and I can't get anywhere near 9000 lux on my quad. Maybe my meter is longer [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]. I think the best I ever measured was around 6400 lux for a quad using (4) IMS 20 reflectors, (2) fatman drivers and (4) AA 2500 Nimh. I measure 1.00A with the meter at the led (pos on pos lead and neg on neg lead). What gives?
    Chris

LOL.. well.. it sure does make a difference if you use a shorter meter... quite amazing difference in-fact

the 'short answer' is we are cheating..

My light is putting almost 1.3A into UX1L bin emitters.. just about 20 1/2W of power at the emitters. If you are using 1.0A and using T..J emitters.. you'll be pushing about 3.7W each or 14.8W.. 40% more power, i hope it's brighter.

I'm not sure what modamag has the amperage set to but i can guarantee it's over an amp if he's really pulling 9000 lux.. also.. take that measurement when it's warm.. the RT4 is putting out 8000 once it warms up.. that extra 1500 is nice when it first turns on though.

-awr

Flashaholic

One other question. How did you run (2) fatman drivers with (3) Li-ions? Didn't the Vin exceed Vout for the fatman? This seems to be the biggest hurdle for me in that you don't have many power options if you use (2)fatman and wire the leds in series pairs. I'm probably missing something. I should have paid better attention in physics [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif[/img]
    Chris

Flashaholic*

I'm also wondering about that. Can the fatman drivers be run in series?

I'm only using ONE fatman running (4) series lux3s.. and they are high voltage bin too (L)..

Vin is 10.8 Vout is about 15.6 or so.. i didn't re-measure after just re-doing the light.. one of the emitters died when it came loose from the heatink.. interestingly enough.. it became a 1.5V diode so the other three emitters stayed lit and it STILL output over 7500 lux!

the first two fatmen melted with the 12.6V input.. they can handle 12 they are rated.. it should say 12.000.

I developed a hack that lets me use a higher Vin than 12.0 praise be to GOD.. i was sooo screwed on my current project had that hack not worked.

Series fatmen.. hmm.. well... actually that would probably work.. trouble ensues quickly if there is an open in the circuit someplace.. i found out the hard way today that fatman does NOT appreciated having power applied without a load.. i knew that beforehand but forgot to re-connect the LEDs after swapping the driver.

Fortunately.. it looks like the 3 LiON -> 4 lux hack will work just fine.. just make very sure that the emitters are stuck well to the heatsink.. i killed one when it came loose.. sucks since it was a pretty rare 'ubin' lux3.

Hey modamag.. how warm was that quadamire when you pulled that 9000 lux reading, and what drive level are the fatmen set to? I just turned my drive level down to 1100mA and i'm getting about 8500 with a cold light and it dims down to about 8000 after a good few minutes of runtime.. looks like with the mellower setting it doesn't heat up as bad and the brightness difference is not as severe.

you sure you didn't use a yardstick vs a meter :-p

Oh.. did i miss-read something or am i as confused as the other guys.. you said you are using (3) 14500s (AA) in series to run two sets of parallel fatmen? Did you measure the voltage at the battery? technically 3 series LiONs are over 12V it's how i melted my first and second fatman... not realizing that the bat voltage would not be pulled down fast enough by the load.. maybe that is savin' your butt with the much smaller batteries (I'm using 17670s)..