P60/P61 inside E-series light mod?

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has this ever been done? I think I remember hearing about someone doing this before. They probably ground down the reflector from the top until it fit the E series head or something... Does anyone know if there was a thread about this at all or if it even exists?

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Steve,

This has been done. If I'm not mistaken, "This Is Nascar" was the originator.

It does not involve grinding down the refelctor to fit. What it does involve is heating the P60/61 lamp assembly to about 170 degrees. When you get the LA up to temperature, the reflector peels away from the lamp itself.

Once you have the reflector off, you'll need to go to the hardware store and find some washers to use as spacers to go around the lamp to insure that it focuses correctly in the more shallow E2e head. You also have to replace the stock Surefire lens with a thinner mineral glass lens to keep the lamp from hitting the lens.

Running the P60 mod isn't that big a deal. The MN03 puts out about as much light, but the P61 is a different story. It'll turn your E2e into a real scorcher.

juancho

Enlightened
I have one, it will run for about 5 minutes before the batteries become too hot and produce thermal shutdown.
Also even as I haven't run the light for too long, the reflector around the lamp is scorched (blackened.

A better solution to run a P-61 in a E2e body is to purchase a E2C adaptor, this will screw into the body of the e2e and permit you to put a bezel from a C2 (Z44 HA)
Then you can put the P-61 lamp directly without modification and with the benefits of longer throw as the reflector is bigger than the E2e.
Juan C.

code09

Enlightened
I have one as well. Its actually quite simple. I just got a "step up" adaptor and an optional "cell extender" from surefireparts on ebay, and it works great! Just like a C2, C3, G2, etc etc, depending on how many cells you have. Right now, i have a cell extender on the e1e, so its pretty much like the e2e, or G2, or C2, etc etc. But i have a e2e body coming in, and that will be like a C3, 9P, etc etc Check out the pics:
esetup1.JPG

E1E with cell extender attached (from surefireparts as well)
esetup2.JPG

stepup adaptor from surefireparts
esetup3.JPG

all attached
esetup4.JPG

p61 inside the step up adaptor
esetup5.JPG

Requires some sort of bezel, G2, C2, Z2, your choice
esetup6.JPG

I like this setup, becuase i can switch it quickly to a KL1

Hope this helps! No melting, or lack of run time required. It works exactly like a g2, or c3 (depedning on your body), at the size of a e-series!

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also remember seeing something called the E2C adapter on a website. It adapts an E series light to any C or P series head I think. I am not exactly sure though.
Edit: Also fits Z, D, M, and C series heads.

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mr Tony, I just looked over the thread about the E2C adapters and I saw that you ordered one too so you probably know what it is.

wquiles

Flashaholic
Surefireparts (Jon) and DSpeck both sell the E2C adapters (each one is different). The one shown above looks more like the one Jon sells.

I also have an E2C adapter, but mine runs 2 rechargable CR123's on a 2xcell Vital Gear with a P90 lamp attached to a "C" size bezel. Very small and very bright!

Will

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
And using the E2C adapter would eliminate the process of changing the Lamp assembly in any way. But then you have the problem of buying the E2C, and the Head you plan on using.... I think the cheaper way would be what Mr Tony said. (Chop)

McGizmo

Flashaholic
"P" series lamps;"E" series hosts:

E2E-C2-HOLA.jpg

group.jpg

head.jpg

components.jpg

McLux-PR-Pseries.jpg

PR-T-P61-Wine.jpg

A-1-P61.jpg

And now from the SF folks themselves:

SF-E2C.jpg

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Steve,

Actually, the better way to do it would be to get the E2C. John (jcciv) has a version that is pretty inexpensive. The benefit of using the E2C, for me, is that you get a new reflector everytime you change the bulb. Plus, the small reflector in the E2e doesn't truly do the P61 justice.