Storacell

Thread: Eternalight MAX design help!

Default Eternalight MAX design help!

Hey guys, nice to know you're always here for input on new products, and I do appreciate it. As some of you may have heard, the EternaLight Max is due out 1Q 2003. It's nearly done but frankly - it has so many power options we're not quite sure what combinations to use and when. Here's the rundown:

E Max can turn on and off it's power regulation feature enabling you to select between consistant light output or ridiculously long runtimes. It also has an overdrive feature but we've decided to limit that to momentary usage. This feature will allow the practical use of NiMH cells as well as all the others now.

It has many other new features but the one we're focusing on at this moment is the diming scale. Initially we decided to make the first two dimable settings regulated and the subsequent ones unregulated.
    Any ideas here guys? What would you like to see for the ultimate default dim scale and how many settings?
    As always, many thanks!

Mostly MIA Administrator

Default Re: Eternalight MAX design help!

Do you have some CK.Sauce products on hand there at Techass? If not you should--they have a fine way of cycling through modes etc.

That said...I like the dimming scale of the plug in Sauce products. They have a mode that makes them put out white light. Turning the knob causes the light to dim.

I propose (If your chip can handle it [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] ) this kind of a design. Start at full bright, press the ajustment button and hold it to make the light dim...smoothly from full bright to full dim.

Remember the ergonomics battle awhile back? I've just had a thought--the best part is that it would work with your current molds, you'd just need new software. Make the middle button mode/power and then left down and right up. To turn the light off from any mode press and HOLD the mode button. That's not too tough is it?

Thank you. However, our model 2 had that smooth hold diming feature. People were more in favor of knowing exactly where they were so we changed model 3's to use precise clicks and we set the number of steps. My question is more when and when not use regulation and in what combination with power settings.

Flashaholic

the original idea sounds great! i want one! what are some of the other new features?

The lights I use, other than your's, that have dimmer modes, is the PALight. My Selector has 6 or 7 settings. I use it on lowest, or highest. The Survival has 2 levels. This is fine for me. My choice would be Hi - regulated, Low - unregulated. Possibly 1 more setting Medeium - regulated, but no more than that. There just isn't enough difference to have all the other settings. TX

I've bought 7 EternaLights (3-Ergo 3s, 2-Ergo 3 G/W option, 1-Ergo 3 R/W option, 1-4X EliteXray), love them all!

The most important feature to me would be the ability to turn on the light at a dimness level that I have previously set. I appreciate and use the light at "full brightness" when I need it, however to conserve batteries (those long runtimes are a major factor with me!) I use it most of the time about 3 steps (or more) down from "full on".

12 steps is perhaps "a bit" too many. Full on = required, Max dim = required, 3 (?) midrange settings = requested, once again with the ability to "remember" the settings. Though I have to add, it's nice to be able to step down to 1 LED.

Is any of this included in the "E MAX"?

Flashaholic

How about having two On/Dims? Maybe like On/Regulated and On/Unregulated.

Also, it seems to me that 5 levels of brightness should be plenty.
    1=100%
    2=75%
    3=50%
    4=25%
    5=10%

Also, I wonder about the need for both strobe and flasher. Seems like these two could be combined into one mode. They're an awful lot alike.

Also, I'd very much like to see an option for a GITD case, or better yet, just a GITD coating on the case area surrounding the LEDs. Sort of a GITD reflector. The "aqua" strontium aluminate glow powder works really well that way. I've done it to one of my Xrays, and I love it. See http://www.candlepowerforums.com/cgi...=001998#000000 for some pointers if you're not yet familiar with this stuff.

BTW
    Keep up the great work, and thanks for asking. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Why would you need GITD on the X-Ray? It already has the built-in LED for finding the light in the dark. TX

Flashaholic*

Does the Max have more/different LEDs?

Administratior

Jack O, I also like the

1=100%
    2=75%
    3=50%
    4=25%
    5=10%

However I would add a 1 or 2 percent level, sort of like the PAL does. I know it has the LED in it, but to be honest that is too bright and not the right color. A 1 or 2 percent would be enough to find it and use if your eyes were totally adjusted. My wife and I regularly use the PAL (without lens) at night to check on the baby.

And as Sigman noted I would like the ability to turn it on to a "last setting" or some other dim setting. If your eyes are adjusted to the dark and pop all those LED's at 100%, you will loose your night vision for sure.

WAIT I have an idea

Could you make the first button start at 100% going down and the middle or 3 button start at the bottom and go up?

To throw another idea could you somehow have a tiny dip switch or secret button sequence that would switch all the levels over the NiMH batteries? That would be neat

But I guess to answer your question directly I would thing one dimming mode in full regulation and one not is more then enough. I donít really understand why you would want more in regulation, but I suppose if you canÖ

Flashaholic

Originally posted by txwest:
    Why would you need GITD on the X-Ray? It already has the built-in LED for finding the light in the dark. TX
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Not a question of need really. It's just really handy. Consider GITD as a completely battery-free backup beacon that's nearly always on.

My vote is to make all dimmer settings unregulated.

Aloha

Brian

Flashaholic*

I would vote for a slightly different dimming scale:

Overdrive
    100% (reg)
    70% (reg)
    40% (reg)
    10% (unreg)
    5% (unreg)

The last two scales are for night crawlers.

Edit - BTW what is the full brightness scale? This largely determines the dimming scale.

Cheers.

First two dimable settings regulated and the subsequent ones unregulated.

Brightest with auto/off.

1) Very bright Reg
    2) Quite bright Reg
    3) Enough to see and walk Non-Reg
    4) Night Light Non-Reg

For me, Eternalights are for a different market niche....... "Eternalights".
    However, it is nice to have them quite bright for the occasional use.

If I want a bright light, I use a lantern type battery with a Versalux. ( D cells )

or

the other extreme...I use an ArcLS with a 123.

Consider making the SOS, Strobe, and Cop mode switchable features. It is fun to have them, but would be nice to not have to cycle through them for most use. I use them for Christmas and to help the Pizza guy find our house. The rest of the time they are not usually needed.

I especially like to be able to start off in dim mode and cycle up. My wife has a wicked backhand for a little girl and hates bright lights in the middle of the night. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

FYI....I modified an Eternalight to have the outside 2 lights white and the 2 inner lights blue and red. SUPRISINGLY...My wife chose this combo a few nights ago rather than an ALL WHITE eternalight. She was using it to read by and said that she liked the "softer" light. Go figure???

Brock,

Can't say too much at this time but you don't need to flip a switch to go to NiMh, you can just pop them in - that's all there is to it. In fact, if you want to make you're MAX really light weight, you can short out any of the cell compartments and run just 2 batteries in it if you like!

From a secret source at the Eternalight mountain the following facts were sneaked out.....

Below are firmed up features that WILL be incorporated in the soon to be released unit....

1)...the max will have a setting memory so you can turn it on in lower settings if you like.

2)...there will be a configuration mode which will
    let them set the unit to a more simple function set....

3)...this unit has a REAL battery test, no more using your watch!....

Keep watching for more leaks... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Flashaholic*

MrEternaLight---This is off-topic, but something that I would like to share with you.

I do not own an Eternalight, yet. I have looked at your products on the internet and have considered buying them but one thing always stops me: changing the batteries looks like it is a major PIA.

As a student of product design I consider the EternaLight somewhat flawed because the battery changes (which could take place in the dark) require that I find a super-small screwdriver, remove (and don't loose!) a bunch of tiny screws and a gasket. Then, of course, you change the batteries and put it back together again. And, oh yeah, be careful that the gasket seats properly during reassembly.

Am I completely off-base here? Is it simpler than I suspect?---Marc

Administratior

MrEternaLight Yaaaa, (and thank you!) I think I get it now, so probably anything above 3v and your good to go. I will have to get one for sure now!!!!

MicroE, I have been using these lights for all sorts of things and I have only had to replace the batteries once. We used one Marine all summer on our boat, and it is still going no problem. I would bet we ran it at least 150 hours, granted at most of that was in one of the dimmer modes, but they run a LONG time. And it isnít like the batteries die in a matter of seconds so you have plenty of time to change them. With the new, easier to use, battery test, it will make this even more predictable.

I do agree that it isnít easy to change the batteries, but it keeps the light waterproof this way, which is more important to me.

I'm with BigHonu. Unregulated in all dimmer setting. Dimmer is dimmer. I don't really care for it to be an exact percentage of the full regulated setting.

MicroE, like Brock said, battery changes simply do not happen in the Eternalights like any other light so the screws have never bothered me. I have had my X-ray for a year now even with near daily use I have only changed batteries 4 times.

Best regards,
    Randy

1. Any limited time "introductory/special pricing" for Candle Power Forum members?

2. "Candle Power Forums Limited Editions"?

We love a "sale"!!

Flashaholic

MrEternalight,
    Nice to hear from you again. I just recently purchased an Elite X-ray and am very satisfied with it. I admit, the shape was hard to get over at first, but with every day use its not a problem now.

Regarding the question posed, let the dim settings be unregulated. As other members have stated dim is dim. Keep the bright settings regulated. I also think the proposed 5 brightness levels is good, maybe 6 at most.

I think it is a matter being able to getting the light into the desired mode and brightness without too much fuss is the key (A sort of Eternalight ergonomics). From the search I did in this DB that seems to be a dominate issue with the Eternalight product line.

Any further information you could share with us on the new MAX would be great too [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] . I know that you have some fans here so don't leave us out in the cold.

Flashaholic*

Eternalite is doing some nice stuff here! I tend to not sweat the small stuff, and dimmer regulation is small stuff. I'd tend to say that if it will increase cost, don't regulate the dimmer settings. When I use the dimmer, it will usually be on the dimmest setting. When that setting gets too dim, I'll move up one. Not a big inconvenience.

Otherwise, you've hit my top wanted features: an overdrive mode (when you say "momentary", how long is that), and memory of which dimming level was used last. Actually, the one other thing I'd like is not to have to dig up the manual to figure out how to turn on and off the little internal finder LED. Either print the instructions on the light, or find some more elegant and easily-remembered way to use that LED.

Any news on a AAA version?

Thanks!

Enlightened

Personally I like the number of dimming levels on the eternalight x-ray that I have. If you have ever slept in a pitch dark room, once your eyes have adjusted to the dark, even the lowest setting is very bright. I prefer the steps of dimming rather than the linear dimming of my older eternalight. I am excited about the features you have been discussing with the new light and have enjoyed my eternalights for years. As far as the dimming being regulated, I think mabye the first 2, mabye three levels, after that I am looking for a long run time. I also hope you keep the lowest setting at 1-2%, plenty for the extreme dark. I have had the x-ray for as long as they have been produced and have only changed batteries a few times, if the batteries are going to die you generaly have enough run time left to get you thru the night. Keep the ability to have the night beacon on/off. Thanks for letting us CPFers into the considerations for your wonderfull product, Keep up the good work.....

Sorry it took me so long to get back - this is the busiest time of the year for us as you can imagine. Thank you all! You'll be happy to know that the EliteMAX will incorporate the suggestion I see from the majority which is regulation in brighter levels and non-reg in dimmer ones. Again, thanks. We hope you will like the new product. We will offer an excellent discount exclusively to CPF members when the light becomes available. Happy Holidays to all!

Should we start forming a line now? Count me in!

Waiting and continuing to wait.... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Great news about special pricing!!!

Micro E re. changing batteries//
    Buy with no fear...
    Like Brock and others said, the batteries last a LONG LONG time. I finally changed mine the first time as I got tired of trying to run them down.

I have never "run out" of light and been left in the lurch with an Eternalight.

It is IMHO a good trade off for water tightness.

Flashaholic

Please advise when the CPFers can start buying the latest creation Mr EternaLight. Thanks for the discount as well [img]graemlins/icon14.gif[/img] .

Happy Holidays to the Eternalight family. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior

Mr. Eternalight--Just to make your job easier. Since you have an e-mail list already to anounce new products. Could you post an e-mail address here, maybe CPF@techass.com. That people could send an e-mail to and you could build a database of CPF members/lurkers. That might give your new products a bigger kick, then again most here are probably on your list.

Ops....Had to remove what I posted...
    Must be getting too anxious.. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Mr Eternalight,

I have been using your original classic model for years and it is one the most versatile lights I have ever owned. I especially appreciate its pygmy size and light weight.

I recently bought an Ergo and was happy to see brighter Nichias and refined features, but I was surprised and disappointed at the greatly increased size and weight, not to mention the near impossibility of standing it on end.

Do you envision ever offering a smaller lighter eternalight, reminiscent of the original but with an updated circuit and watertight case?

I suspect I'm not the only customer who would make a beeline to your website, CC in hand.

Brightnorm