Eternalight MAX design help!

MrEternaLight

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys, nice to know you're always here for input on new products, and I do appreciate it. As some of you may have heard, the EternaLight Max is due out 1Q 2003. It's nearly done but frankly - it has so many power options we're not quite sure what combinations to use and when. Here's the rundown:

E Max can turn on and off it's power regulation feature enabling you to select between consistant light output or ridiculously long runtimes. It also has an overdrive feature but we've decided to limit that to momentary usage. This feature will allow the practical use of NiMH cells as well as all the others now.

It has many other new features but the one we're focusing on at this moment is the diming scale. Initially we decided to make the first two dimable settings regulated and the subsequent ones unregulated.
Any ideas here guys? What would you like to see for the ultimate default dim scale and how many settings?
As always, many thanks!

Saaby

Flashaholic
Do you have some CK.Sauce products on hand there at Techass? If not you should--they have a fine way of cycling through modes etc.

That said...I like the dimming scale of the plug in Sauce products. They have a mode that makes them put out white light. Turning the knob causes the light to dim.

I propose (If your chip can handle it
tongue.gif
) this kind of a design. Start at full bright, press the ajustment button and hold it to make the light dim...smoothly from full bright to full dim.

Remember the ergonomics battle awhile back? I've just had a thought--the best part is that it would work with your current molds, you'd just need new software. Make the middle button mode/power and then left down and right up. To turn the light off from any mode press and HOLD the mode button. That's not too tough is it?

MrEternaLight

Newly Enlightened
Thank you. However, our model 2 had that smooth hold diming feature. People were more in favor of knowing exactly where they were so we changed model 3's to use precise clicks and we set the number of steps. My question is more when and when not use regulation and in what combination with power settings.

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
The lights I use, other than your's, that have dimmer modes, is the PALight. My Selector has 6 or 7 settings. I use it on lowest, or highest. The Survival has 2 levels. This is fine for me. My choice would be Hi - regulated, Low - unregulated. Possibly 1 more setting Medeium - regulated, but no more than that. There just isn't enough difference to have all the other settings. TX

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
I've bought 7 EternaLights (3-Ergo 3s, 2-Ergo 3 G/W option, 1-Ergo 3 R/W option, 1-4X EliteXray), love them all!

The most important feature to me would be the ability to turn on the light at a dimness level that I have previously set. I appreciate and use the light at "full brightness" when I need it, however to conserve batteries (those long runtimes are a major factor with me!) I use it most of the time about 3 steps (or more) down from "full on".

12 steps is perhaps "a bit" too many. Full on = required, Max dim = required, 3 (?) midrange settings = requested, once again with the ability to "remember" the settings. Though I have to add, it's nice to be able to step down to 1 LED.

Is any of this included in the "E MAX"?

Lantern Jack O.

Enlightened
How about having two On/Dims? Maybe like On/Regulated and On/Unregulated.

Also, it seems to me that 5 levels of brightness should be plenty.
1=100%
2=75%
3=50%
4=25%
5=10%

Also, I wonder about the need for both strobe and flasher. Seems like these two could be combined into one mode. They're an awful lot alike.

Also, I'd very much like to see an option for a GITD case, or better yet, just a GITD coating on the case area surrounding the LEDs. Sort of a GITD reflector. The "aqua" strontium aluminate glow powder works really well that way. I've done it to one of my Xrays, and I love it. See http://www.candlepowerforums.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=001998#000000 for some pointers if you're not yet familiar with this stuff.

BTW
Keep up the great work, and thanks for asking.
smile.gif

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why would you need GITD on the X-Ray? It already has the built-in LED for finding the light in the dark. TX

Brock

Flashaholic
Jack O, I also like the

1=100%
2=75%
3=50%
4=25%
5=10%

However I would add a 1 or 2 percent level, sort of like the PAL does. I know it has the LED in it, but to be honest that is too bright and not the right color. A 1 or 2 percent would be enough to find it and use if your eyes were totally adjusted. My wife and I regularly use the PAL (without lens) at night to check on the baby.

And as Sigman noted I would like the ability to turn it on to a "last setting" or some other dim setting. If your eyes are adjusted to the dark and pop all those LED's at 100%, you will loose your night vision for sure.

WAIT I have an idea

Could you make the first button start at 100% going down and the middle or 3 button start at the bottom and go up?

To throw another idea could you somehow have a tiny dip switch or secret button sequence that would switch all the levels over the NiMH batteries? That would be neat

But I guess to answer your question directly I would thing one dimming mode in full regulation and one not is more then enough. I don't really understand why you would want more in regulation, but I suppose if you can…

Lantern Jack O.

Enlightened
Originally posted by txwest:
Why would you need GITD on the X-Ray? It already has the built-in LED for finding the light in the dark. TX
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Not a question of need really. It's just really handy. Consider GITD as a completely battery-free backup beacon that's nearly always on.

monanza

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would vote for a slightly different dimming scale:

Overdrive
100% (reg)
70% (reg)
40% (reg)
10% (unreg)
5% (unreg)

The last two scales are for night crawlers.

Edit - BTW what is the full brightness scale? This largely determines the dimming scale.

Cheers.

KenBar

Enlightened
First two dimable settings regulated and the subsequent ones unregulated.

Brightest with auto/off.

1) Very bright Reg
2) Quite bright Reg
3) Enough to see and walk Non-Reg
4) Night Light Non-Reg

For me, Eternalights are for a different market niche....... "Eternalights".
However, it is nice to have them quite bright for the occasional use.

If I want a bright light, I use a lantern type battery with a Versalux. ( D cells )

or

the other extreme...I use an ArcLS with a 123.

Consider making the SOS, Strobe, and Cop mode switchable features. It is fun to have them, but would be nice to not have to cycle through them for most use. I use them for Christmas and to help the Pizza guy find our house. The rest of the time they are not usually needed.

I especially like to be able to start off in dim mode and cycle up. My wife has a wicked backhand for a little girl and hates bright lights in the middle of the night.
smile.gif

FYI....I modified an Eternalight to have the outside 2 lights white and the 2 inner lights blue and red. SUPRISINGLY...My wife chose this combo a few nights ago rather than an ALL WHITE eternalight. She was using it to read by and said that she liked the "softer" light. Go figure???

MrEternaLight

Newly Enlightened
Brock,

Can't say too much at this time but you don't need to flip a switch to go to NiMh, you can just pop them in - that's all there is to it. In fact, if you want to make you're MAX really light weight, you can short out any of the cell compartments and run just 2 batteries in it if you like!

KenBar

Enlightened
From a secret source at the Eternalight mountain the following facts were sneaked out.....

Below are firmed up features that WILL be incorporated in the soon to be released unit....

1)...the max will have a setting memory so you can turn it on in lower settings if you like.

2)...there will be a configuration mode which will
let them set the unit to a more simple function set....

3)...this unit has a REAL battery test, no more using your watch!....

Keep watching for more leaks...
smile.gif

MicroE

Enlightened
MrEternaLight---This is off-topic, but something that I would like to share with you.

I do not own an Eternalight, yet. I have looked at your products on the internet and have considered buying them but one thing always stops me: changing the batteries looks like it is a major PIA.

As a student of product design I consider the EternaLight somewhat flawed because the battery changes (which could take place in the dark) require that I find a super-small screwdriver, remove (and don't loose!) a bunch of tiny screws and a gasket. Then, of course, you change the batteries and put it back together again. And, oh yeah, be careful that the gasket seats properly during reassembly.

Am I completely off-base here? Is it simpler than I suspect?---Marc

Brock

Flashaholic
MrEternaLight Yaaaa, (and thank you!) I think I get it now, so probably anything above 3v and your good to go. I will have to get one for sure now!!!!

MicroE, I have been using these lights for all sorts of things and I have only had to replace the batteries once. We used one Marine all summer on our boat, and it is still going no problem. I would bet we ran it at least 150 hours, granted at most of that was in one of the dimmer modes, but they run a LONG time. And it isn't like the batteries die in a matter of seconds so you have plenty of time to change them. With the new, easier to use, battery test, it will make this even more predictable.

I do agree that it isn't easy to change the batteries, but it keeps the light waterproof this way, which is more important to me.

darkgear.com

Enlightened
I'm with BigHonu. Unregulated in all dimmer setting. Dimmer is dimmer. I don't really care for it to be an exact percentage of the full regulated setting.

MicroE, like Brock said, battery changes simply do not happen in the Eternalights like any other light so the screws have never bothered me. I have had my X-ray for a year now even with near daily use I have only changed batteries 4 times.

Best regards,
Randy

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
1. Any limited time "introductory/special pricing" for Candle Power Forum members?

2. "Candle Power Forums Limited Editions"?

We love a "sale"!!