5 10.64%
  • Creamation

32 68.09%
  • Other

10 21.28%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bury or creamate?

Default Bury or creamate?

I realise this is a rather ticklish subject, but somebody has to bring it up.
    When you go, would you like to become worm food (burial) or fertiliser (creamation)?
    Or would you like your body to be disposed of in another manner, such as mummification, burial-at-sea, or no preference?

Flashaholic

Default Re: Bury or creamate?

I chose other, 'cause I am hoping to be frozen, and revived by nanotechnology at some point in the future. I better start taking better care of myself though, to push my demise, and eventual resurrection, off a little further into the future. (Hey, a guy can dream, right? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif[/img] )

Well, this should be quite a ways off for me, but I'm not sure I can decide. It is always nice being able to visit a relative's or friend's grave site. It can be a way to let your feelings out, to talk to them, and to remember them. Burial doesn't make a whole lot of sense though, taking up so much space for something that really isn't something anymore.

Flashaholic*

I vote for ashes...
    A friend of mine once said to scatter his ashes over a field of pot... so people can smoke him after he is gone. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eeew.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sick2.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif[/img]

I knew a guy who wanted to be creamated and then his ashes made into a toliet and then installed in the men's room at a bar. I'm not kidding here, this is 100% true.

Creamation for me too.
    I had a friend that was a Journyman Plumber and he said he wanted to be creamated and flushed down a toilet, so he could see his work from the inside.
    He passed away about 4 months ago. I don't know if his brothers actually did that or not.

mut

well i live in ga and im sure most of ya heard about the place here that didnt creamte the people they just threw em in the woods in stuff.but i still want to be creamated no way i want to be burried

I picked other because I don't know yet. As I see it right now, when I'm dead, I'm dead. I won't know what I'm doing when I'm dead, so I don't care. Which ever is easier to my family I guess.

Die? Come on now...this is 2005. Within a couple of years they will have a cure for everything... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Default Compost.

I prefer composting. Why waste perfectly good carbon & nitrogen?

Flashaholic*

Default Re: Compost.

I grew up being exposed (only occasionally) to funerals and caskets and burial and headstones and so forth, so for a long time I thought people that wanted cremation were kind of odd. However I've decided that I don't have any reasons for my bones to sit around occupying space in a box, with my name on a rock above it. I don't want my family to feel that they have to come by and look at my rock, and I don't want future generations to have to figure out what to do with that little piece of real estate. Once my soul leaves and the medical people take anything that they might be able to use then the rest can be disposed of the easiest way possible. If my family wants to remember me they will have photographs for that, as well as a box full of flashlights to figure out what to do with.

Flashaholic

I just saw on the news the other day that some company is taking the ashes of your (cremated) loved one and turning them into DIAMONDS. It costs something like 2K to 5K bucks.

Another option!

[ QUOTE ]
    The_LED_Museum said:
    I knew a guy who wanted to be creamated

[/ QUOTE ]
    Did he order sugar with that?

Flashaholic*

Jetisoned into space! Free to pointlessly fly through space!

[ QUOTE ]
    hikari said:
    I just saw on the news the other day that some company is taking the ashes of your (cremated) loved one and turning them into DIAMONDS. It costs something like 2K to 5K bucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

It seems that the prices have gone down for the LifeGems in the last year or two.

Here's their prices page.

Whatever you think you think, check out the Penn & Teller Bullsh*t episode on dying and funerals.
    Might change a few minds.

Cremation for me.
    My late uncle was cremated.
    I carried his ashes out of the funeral home last weekend after a very good memorial.

Flashaholic*

Liking fires & hot wires...

*Flashaholic*

Myself and 2 brothers scattered both our parent's ashes out in the desert last year. Wind came up and blew them back in our faces! I guess they got even! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] My wallpaper is their view. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif[/img]

Larry

I think I'd like to be creamated and have the ashes buried in Washington D.C. near the Capitol then have an apple tree planted over the spot....... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
    raggie33 said:
    well i live in ga and im sure most of ya heard about the place here that didnt creamte the people they just threw em in the woods in stuff.but i still want to be creamated no way i want to be burried

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to get off topic or anything, but.....I new that looked like the ATL in the pics you shot with the new camera rags. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Flashaholic*

i would prefer to have my body thrown to some wild animals or something. keep the cycle going.

Encased in a photon torpedo and fired into the center of our solar system eventually falling into the sun [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    Would that still be considered cremation?

No cremation. It's hard enough deciding what to do with dead realtive's furniture and stuff, without having to dispose of them also.

Also, after doing some pretty serious genealogy research, I have to say that in EITHER case please have a good long-lasting headstone, even if the grave is empty.

I'd prefer to be donated to science, so that things can be learned. A burial at sea memorial would be great, too. .

Flashaholic*

Strip me for any useable parts then cremation. Then carry my ashes in the trunk of a nicely restored 56 Chev.

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
    BlindedByTheLite said:
    i would prefer to have my body thrown to some wild animals or something. keep the cycle going.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup - me too. If only there was some simple, legal way to do so... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif[/img]

I prefer rapture before natural death myself!

Beats all others combined! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
    greenlight said:
    Did he order sugar with that?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Sugar? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif[/img]
    When they creamate a body, they take it to a place called a "creamatorium", put it in a high temperature oven, and then take what remains (ashes) and put them in a funeral urn. I don't know where sugar enters the picture here. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif[/img]

Cremated and utterly destroyed, the ashes dispersed with the wind or in the sea, I do not care. Most im portant to me is total annihilation so that my family won't be burdenes by a silly grave etc.
    bernhard