which SF light shines the farthest in fog ?

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone know which SF light shines the farthest distance in foggy condition? lets ignore the beast, M6 models. I already have wolfeye 9M (similar to GL4X) that shine broad beam. I am looking for SF light because of its compactness compared to streamlight. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

StEaLtH_

Enlightened
If you can get your hands on a old 3" turbohead, get it.
It's the farthest throwing Surefire that I know of (well maybe exept for The Beast /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif ).

mokona2

Enlightened
Generally turbohead SF will throw far in foggy conditions. LEDs tend to disappear in those same conditions, regardless of reflector or optics. Also, the more power, the better.

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want to throw in fog I would look for something other than a SureFire because the textured reflector will only add to the back scatter of light reflected back to you a tight focused beam from a smooth reflector would work better.

Later
Kelly

Disciple

Enlightened
Long wavelengths refract less, and therefore should throw farther in fog with less splash-back. Theoretically a very bright red or orange should work best, if my understanding is accurate.

Cornkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, by theory the longer the wavelength and lower the frequency, the lower the refraction. If you were to use a very bright white, blue, green, violet light you would get a wall within the fog. (Not throw very far)

An example: I used my e1L and e2e and my bro's L4 through fog. The e1L through significantly further than the L4! But not near as far as the e2e. The L4 has a greenish tint, has a wider angle, and is much brighter... The e2e is yellowish, like normal incans... and therefore has a higher wavelength (lower frequency.) Incans are better through fog.

-tom

Kiu

Enlightened
IMHO, the stock mag with 6 cell's magmun star bulb do a better job than my SF M6 in a foggy condition.

greg_in_canada

Flashlight Enthusiast
Shining your light through some of those Blu Blocker (TM)
sunglasses might help since they filter out the blue
light that is most scattered.

Would probably look odd though.

Greg

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another reason why wires will always have a place in flashlightdom! Here in the mountains where we get a lot of rain, snow, fog and socked in by clouds, my trusty G2 always gets a workout.

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 3" T1 which is the older 3" head should be the tightest and best in the fog. It is almost smooth with just a little dimpling on it.

Francois1

Newly Enlightened
The farthest throwing sf I own is an old 9nt with a completely smooth 3" reflector. It outshines the m6 and even the magcharger by far. But it's a very specialized light, a big portion of the 140 lumen are concentrated in a very tight hotpsot, leaving little usable sidespill.

François.

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 9P model has been reintroduce by SF. It will post on site in mid march. I got word from SF

mokona2

Enlightened
I believe the 9NT is a 9P with a 3" diameter turbohead smooth reflector, lexan lens. SF discontinued the 3" turboheads a while back. The closest currently available reflector is the LPS SRTH (2.5" diameter) with an N2 lamp. Very tight bright spot, almost no spill, but throws very far.

kongfuchicken

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some time ago, someone here found out the 2.5" SRTH actually outperforms the 3" T series turboheads for throw IIRC.
I've tried both and frankely didn't see any difference at all. The SRTH did seem to have a "cleaner" beam tho.

Hockeymoose

Newly Enlightened
Try an PELI BIG ED, it was designed for firefighters as a "smoke cutting" tool. I am quite satisfied with mine--but I don't think it has the form factor you want.