mobile1

Flashlight Enthusiast
UPDATE: The GatLight is born. We got the first REAL PROTOTYPE IN - so no rendered images this time. Go to this latest thread to see the images here

BRIGHTEST AND SMALLEST

How about a
[*]-R123 rechargeable powered
[*]-constant current regulated (Fatman)
[*]-Luxeon 5W (120 lumen)
[*]-NX01 optics (or similar sized other one)
[*]-1 inch diameter, less than 3 inches long
[*]-heat sinking area that is larger than a Mag2D head
[*]-dramatic design that allows to touch battery and reflector
[*]-WATER PROOF
[/list]

Think that's impossible. Here are some pictures (renderings) and the story, why it is possible (patent pending).

name me?
FrontBack.jpg

detail1.jpg
detail2.jpg

Next to an AA battery
AA.jpg

fullback.jpg
standing.jpg

Here is the story
-----------------

The goal was to make an R123 battery light that can drive a 5W Lux. An R123 light is basically a rechargeble lithium ion 123 sized 3.7V -700mA cell that can deliver 5W. Problem with so much power in such a small package is heatsinking. So I tried to find new ways to increase heatsinking. (what follows by the way is patent pending)

I thought when I could use the inside of the light for heatsinking this would double heat sinking area. Problem with using the inside of a battery case for heatsinking is then the battery isn't water sealed anymore. So I though isn't a a battery in itself already water sealed.

An email to energizer whether a battery is waterproof provided the answer - here is there answer:

------------------------------------------------------------
Thank you for contacting Energizer and also for your inquiry. At the end of production, the cells are actually washed in a mild Boric Acid solution. This removes any residual caustic that may have splashed onto the cans during production. Because the batteries are sealed, nothing would happen if a battery is accidentally dropped in water. Just wipe off the moisture and continue using the cell.

However, if the battery is immersed in water for an extended period of time, rusting may become a factor.

Thank you for contacting Energizer. Should you have any other questions feel free to contact us again.

Energizer Technical Support
------------------------------------------------------------

So I asked myself why water sealing something that is already water proof. The same is true for the optics. Why water

sealing the entire optics when the optics are water proof (for example NX01).

So the goal was to design a light where optics and battery are not sealed. But where the emitter and driver plus positive battery contact are water sealed. Sealing is achieved by pressing optics and battery against an ORings = perfect sealing for emitter, electronics and battery plus contact.

The result is a design that has the heat sinking of a Mag2D head, but in a package of 1 inch diameter and a length of less than 3 inches. The design allows to touch battery and reflector (the one rod was purposely left out to make the design more dramatic). The light can be produced (3 milled out parts)

Regarding Driver, a slimed down version of George's fatman (taskled.com) would be used - the driver doesnt exist yet, but if there is enough interest in this light George would make one. At this moment no diming is possible for this setup even though the driver would allow it with a pot(haven't found one that could be made to fit)

However another feature that could be implemented (would increase the price though) would be an extendable battery case to accomodate for 2x 123 batteries without adding any new parts. If people think they would pay extra for this feature I could change the design to accomodate this feature. The price of this light will be at about USD 150 if we can get a large enough group interested in this light.

So for now, there are three questions for you to answer:

<ul type="square">
[*]1) Would you buy one for USD 150 (120 lumen, constant current regulated, water proof)
[*]2) Would you pay $40 more for an extendible battery case to accomodate 2x123 batteries. This would allow the extend the case without adding any new parts.
[*]3) Provide a name for this light.
[/list]

Last edited:

greg_in_canada

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Introducing: The Flashlight Reinvented (Design)

Cool idea. I wonder what it would feel like to hold
in your hand.

Do you have to remove screws to remove the battery? Does
this mean it is charged in the light?

1) No, not my type of light.
2) No.
3) The Gatling?

Greg

Prolepsis

Enlightened

Name it the Gatling gun! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I am guessing that the price doesn't include the battery or charger? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I would be tentative for one. Normally I'd jump on for sure, but then I already have some CR2s incoming that I must find $$ for. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Interesting concept though!

1) Maybe
2) Probably not
3) Gatling Gun

[Edit] Oops. Greg beat me to the punch.

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'd have to see physical prototypes before i made a decision about interest but it looks promising. I think it should be 2xR123 anyway.

call it the Nano-Reactor, Looks like a cluster of Uranium fuel rods to me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Shane

theepdinker

Enlightened

Greg,
you beat me to the name.

Theepdinker

paulr

Flashaholic
Re: Introducing: The Flashlight Reinvented (Design

The issue of sealing the light is that dropping it into water often means dirty water or salt water, which can short out or corrode the electronics.

Also I'm not sure I'm convinced that you can dump so much heat from those rods. And I didn't realize you could get that much power from the R123.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast

A 5W with an NX01? Nice design, but you need a better collimator. I suppose that the current design necessitates the use of an optic to be able to seal the light.

Andreas

Enlightened

I'm in for one of these!!

Stillphotog

Newly Enlightened

This light is beautiful, I'd take one provided that the color combo remained the same (flat darker metal with copper or copper colored screws). Residing in San Fran or not, this design truely shows Swiss influences, reminds me of many of the horological wonders that come from the many watch houses there. Bravo! Not into the idea of the extra battery holder, but would be into it being packaged with a R123 and charger...I like the gatling inspired names but I think this light needs a name more swissy haha.

Ny0ng1

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
mobile1 said:
fullback.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

umm, from what I see, you turn on the light buy pressing the 'suspended/dangling' metal to the negative side of the battery. am i correct?
but what happened when you submerge it in to water, will the light be on immediately as water is a good conductor?

niklassthlm

Newly Enlightened

1. Yes
2. Nope or maby!
3. The Barrel Light or TBL

/Niklas

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast

only downside i can really see is, looks like you have to take out a all the screws to get the battery out. That would be a serious pain in the @$$. Or is there an easier way to get the battery out?

Also, the light would either have to be 1x123 or 2x123, Having it interchangable would mean you'd have to do some funny stuff eith the bars. because the bars attached to the light end would not meet the end of a 2x123 tube, I suppose you could make bars on the 2x123 tube that would come up and make up the distance but how would you secure them to the other bars? The only thing i could think of was thin pins on the end that slide inside the screw holes, and just hope that removing and reinstalling over and over doesnt strip the holes of their threads.

Shane

diggdug13

Flashlight Enthusiast

1. no
2. no
3. the gatlin

greg_in_canada

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
theepdinker said:
Greg,
you beat me to the name.

Theepdinker

[/ QUOTE ]

If only there was a prize, I might have a chance. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Greg

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast

Are you claiming 120 lumens because that is what the luxeon is rated at, or is that what the light will actually put out?

mobile1

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ok here are some answers:

greg_in_canada: To remove the battery, the back screws need to be removed. However the design would allow to reduce the number of screws to 3. However I personally think 7 looks better. I guess anybody can use the number they want. 3 are needed to create equal pressure on the battery to press towards to O-Ring to keep it water sealed.

Prolepsis: No it probably doesn't include the charger. The problem are the 5W Luxeons. They cost 3 times as much as a 5W. However I think a 3W-1000mA option would be possible as well, which should reduce costs quite a bit - probably to 120 or 130.

Hallis Well if there is enough interest I'll have a prototype made. Then if it's working fine, get the paypal payments, then order them in the requested quantity. Right now we are in the planning stage. However I need to know what the interest is - and as usual the larger the interest the lower the costs. 2xR123 - is possible with the endendible battery case. Also 2x123 would work for that. The only thing that doesnt work is 1x123. If I have some time I change the CAD and render some images. Then you see how the battery - slide - out extension would work....

paulr You can get 5W out of an R123, however not out of a regular 123. George should be doing some runtime tests with R123s. I can tell you more when he gets done with those. Then dropping it into salt or dirty water is fine, just wash it off. The electronics can't corrode, since the plus battery contact is sealed inside the O-Ring. So even if you dunk it in water it should theoretically be fine. The same with the front. Now of course once in Prototype state we would know for sure. Regarding heatsinking. Well most lights of this size have a heatsinking area equal to the outside area of a cylinder the size of 1 inch x 3 inches. This light has a surface area of 7 cylinders each 0.15 inch diameter x 3 inches. Then the battery itself is a heatsink since it is exposed. And the center which houses driver and emitter has an additional cylinder inside the rods (And if this isn't enough we can even add the 8th cylinder if we need more heatsinking - would take away from the dramatic look though). Calculate the surface area and you see how much more heatsinking this design offers. It's like using the inside of a battery case and reflector for heatsinking plus some more.
Now wheter this is enough for a 5W, I think so, but I don't know, the prototype will show. However I think there wasn't ever, and there probably won't be another light OF THIS SIZE that offers the heatsinking capacity of this design.

ChopWell NX01 or NX05 anything would work as long as it's smaller than 20mm. Any suggestions what the best optics would be? I have a bunch of Carclo optics here, but the NX01 is my favorite.

Stillphotoq Yep copper is my preference for the screws as well. However I still need to find M1.6 copper screws, or increase taping to M2 - which gets a bit thin where the rods are. Anybody know where to get M1.6 copper screws?

Ny0ng1 Yes the design is a momentary on by pressing the metal. However there is an M3 screw thread (where the hole is). So I would like to add sort of a thumb screw, which you simply turn to have continues on. Underwater it probably will turn on - however would be something to test with a prototype as well. Having this type of switch reduces the light's length quite a bit.

Hallis Yep 7 screws if you use them all. 3 screws would work just fine. Using thumb screws might make things a bit easier. however it would add length. Well the extendible battery case design is actually pretty simple. It would add an extra milled part - and change the others, looks would be the same. All you would do is remove the screws in the back. Slide out the back. And put the screws back in (only 4 screws needed). When extended, the are batteries much more visible.
Strip the holes, depends on the material we use for this light I guess. Right now it's aircraft grade alluminum. You could use 3 screws and use them in different holes (7 available) everytime you change battery.

Chop Well the light is using a 5W driven at specs 700mA which is generally believed to be 120Lu. However the fatman driver would allow to drive it at 1000mA. Or you could mod the light to use 2 or 3x3W in series with an IMC 17mm reflector - don't know whether the battery could keep up with that, but George's excelent driver could :) Also if you mod it there is no water sealing anymore, you need an optics for that.

Oh by the way, in terms of efficiency the Fatman driver used in this combo is probably the most efficient one out there (for this setup). Right now it's 0.8 inch diameter. But if there is enough interest George would reduce it to a 0.55 version to fit this light).