eBay Phishing?? Trying to change my address.

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
I decided to change my registered email address in my eBay account so I logged on to eBay and went through the procedure. At the end, there was a screen saying that in order to change to that address, they need my credit card number and expiration date to confirm my identity. "Rest assured your card will not be charged" was the only explanation. I asked about this to eBay support, but received no reply in 2 days. BTW, this has nothing to do with receiving some Phishing email asking me to update my account information. I initiated this myself and typed the proper url for eBay.

Am I being paranoid or is this OK? I just don't like divulging that information unnecessarily and don't understand why it would be necessary. I had signed in with my proper user name and password and I assume they would send confirmations to both addresses and that should be enough security.

Any advice?

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
not knowing much about ebay, I would assume it is probably precautionary due to the fact someone can hack or guess at account passwords till they get it right and change the address to point to them so they can suck your account dry and charge up your credit card. By having to reenter credit card information someone trying to steal your account has to know that beforehand which they cannot guess.

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, I guess it's for identification.

On the other hand, I don't think eBay has my credit card, and I'm not sure it has anyone else's either.

PayPal has our credit cards, and now eBay owns PayPal so maybe they do have my card.

FRANKVZ

Enlightened
Lurker, I have a couple of e-mail addresses so just for the heck of it I changed mine. They didn't ask for my CC info but sent a link to my new e-mail address to click on to confirm the change.