What for Camping?

Surefire_Rocks

Newly Enlightened
Hi,
I have the SF L4, the TT-1 Twin Task Light, and a simple maglite. Do you think that I should add anything to make my camping experiences better? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif
Thanks.

-Ian-

bobisculous

Flashlight Enthusiast
Headlamps are ultra good to have. Also, you should get a spotlight. A Vector 2MCP would be perfect cause its not HUGE like the Thor 10X. And perhaps a keychain light of some sort...Somtimes you just dont need a lot of light, or dont want to carry one.

Cameron

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast
A Headlamp is a good suggestion and also I would recommend a torch such as the SL TL-3(Xenon) that provides good throw... What you now have would cover your flood needs but you really don't have anything for throw...

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
Almost any light is useful when camping, but as John said a headlamp can be very useful. One thing to consider is making sure the lights you bring are weatherproof. Also make sure your lights can last on the set of batteries in them, or bring spares.
I like to have one task light (CMG Infinity Ultra) on a lanyard around my neck, to provide close quarter lighting. An EternaLight is an excellent choice for camping. I like the models with the steady-on internal LED so I can find it easily in the dark. The SOS feature might come in handy too. A decent thrower should be included as well. What size Mag do you have? It could also be used to drive in tent stakes if needed. Also handy are small coin cell lights attached to zippers on your jacket, sleeping bag, etc.

spacetroll

Newly Enlightened
I always bring something small and pocketable that you can sitdown with. Before when I would only bring the big mags and spots (pre CPF days) I'd have to set them down next to the camp chair then before you know it your half drunk and up and wandering around without a light. A small pocketable LED is great for searching for that CD,pistol,gloves etc.. in the tent or beers in the ice chest then keep the bigger lights handy for the critters stiring around outside camp. And incase you did'nt know, holding a maglite with your left hand while tring to work the pump on a shotgun for night skeet shooting is not advisable.

dsl

Newly Enlightened
I use An e1e with a kl1 Head now the E1L Pocetable clip to ball cap for headlamp an pretty good throw. I do mack sure I bring extra batts though usually a spares carrier.

StuU

Enlightened
Coleman CF camping lights are on sale at Big Lots for $3.99/each. They take 4AAs and run for 6 hours. They also come with a neck lanyard and a nice solid switch. You can choose between white flourescent or a more outdoorsy yellow flourescent. Very nice for the price.

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are we talking about car camping or pack-it-all-in, strap on the hiking boots and marathon it in lights?

bluewater

Newly Enlightened
I do alot of wilderness canoeing up here in Canada. My favorite light is an Arc LsH with a two stage kroll switch. I like a light that can hang around my neck rather than a headlamp. Headlamps, even very small ones, are an uncomfortable bother for me. Most of what I need a light for when camping is within arms reach....doing dishes, looking through a pack etc. The Arc hanging around my neck puts the light exactly where I need it most of the time. I usually have it on "low beam" . When I really need to see something I switch to hi beam. I also carry a head band modified to hold the Arc....for when I need it to be a headlamp (not often).

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think a small light with lower output is good for hunting around in your tent at night, without blinding you. I have a Gerber Infinity for that use.

Also there are some specialized lights made for hanging in a tent and illuminating everything in the tent. These look like they would be useful. I may have to get one of those myself.

For my other light I have a Nuwai TM115. This light has 2 light levels, and the high output mode has very good throw for spotting at long distances. The Streamlight Luxeon Tasklight 2L is about equal to the Nuwai for this use.

I bought a Petzl Tikka headlamp for my girls to use when going to the bathroom, etc.

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would strongly disagree with the spotlight for camping for anything except wilderness SAR duty. It will only destroy your night vision and **** off most of the people around you (who are probably not flashaholics.

I usually carry one brighter light to see what's going "bump in the night" like a small Surefire incan, but the rest of the lights are only used to augment my night vision and are small, have low level beams, and long runtime. This applies for both car camping and backpacking.

Some lights I typically take along camping are an Infinity Ultra on a lanyard around my neck, a small Petzyl LED headlamp, a Surefire L1, and a Surefire 9P or E2e with E2c and P61 HOLA.

-Keith

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Put a MJ LED from Lambda in the minimag, 35 hours of run time on 2AA lithiums. If your Mag is a 2D, either put a brighter bulb in it or a drop-in Luxeon for more even runtime and better color.

I will go camping in a month and plan on bringing my family. My sons will have Peak AA 5 LED and Arc AA on them clipped to their belt loops. My wife will use an Elektrolumens 2D bent head light with Luxeon for 24 hours of run time.
Myself, a minimag BB500 R2H, peak AAA 3-LED, 2D Mag with an R2H Luxeon mod running at 3 watts for throw...and a 8AA to 2D adapted Mag with variable output pushing a Luxeon V (nFlex pushing WX1S)
I have found that it is great to have a light with throw to see what is walking around. It is great to have a light that runs at least 5 hours with a lot of flood for the campsite. My modded 2D Mags will provide both of those requirements, head on for throw and head off for a huge flood of pure white light. My 2D R2H Mag mod runs 8 hours on a set of 11,000 mAH rechagable D cells. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

Ian, if you are taking any kids, grab those Nuwai 0.5 watt single cell or two cells lights. They are durable and quite bright with a long run time. If they are smaller children, the Dorcy AAA is a great light for their small hands.

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
MaxaBeam /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Actually, not a MaxaBeam. That would suck in your situation. I'd say get a good headlamp. They seem to be work very well while camping. And if you get drunk, you wont forget it somewhere /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif (unless you forget it's on your head /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif )

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unless you're watching a perimeter, a spotlight wouldn't get you much in WSAR, or even USAR. In fact, the only time I could ever see using a spotlight in the woods is to spotlight animals, and that's more or less illegal in most places.