Looking for a good small incandescent ..

fhapgood

Newly Enlightened
I find the color of the light thrown by LEDs unappealing. So I'm looking for a small (4" would be good; 5" would be ok) incandescent with -- this is important -- lots of spill. I'd just as soon not pay more than $40, batteries and S&H included. It would be nice if it took lithium batteries but that's not essential.

Hoya

Newly Enlightened
SL Scorpion is the light that you are looking for. You can turn the bezel to get flood beam or spot beam of your choice. The SF G2 is my fav in this category though.

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll second the G2. There's also the Brinkman Maxfire at Walmart for aobut $20. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire G2 is my top pick also.

You didn't say what kind of runtime you desired. The G2 will run an hour off two lithium 123's. You might also want to look at the Streamlight Twin-Task 1L, this is 4 inches long, runs off 1 lithium 123 and has both an incandescent beam and three small white leds. Price is about the same as the G2

fhapgood

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Double_A said:
Surefire G2 is my top pick also.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks to everyone for replying. I will be guided by your advice.

Fat_Tony

Enlightened
At less than 5.5 inches, there is the all metal Pelican M6 lithium. It has plenty of spill, and will only cost you $ 4.05 more than a Surefire G2, if you buy both (or either) from The Battery Station's CPF Specials Page. ($ 29.95 for the G2, $ 34.00 for the Pelican M6). Granted, I have yet to get a G2 (I do have other Surefires), but I am really fond of my Pelican M6. Check it out. Maybe you'll like it. Thanks.

Fat_Tony

Enlightened
Oh, by the way, I haven't had to change a bulb in my Pelican M6 yet, but I have checked prices on-line, and Pelican bulbs are much less expensive than the bulbs for the Surefire G2. They are only about a third as much as G2 bulbs. Whatever you choose, I hope that it serves you well. Thanks.

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
The original poster said that lots of spill was important. The M6 is going to have more throw and less spill than the P60. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Dr_Joe

Enlightened
It's a shame you can't find an LED light with a tint that pleases you, because they will all run much longer than incans in this size, and now they are available with comparable brightness. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

In addition to all the great lights suggested above, I might add the streamlight twin task 2L (2x CR123) because it is significantly brighter than the 1L, and still gives you the option of longer runtime (albeit without the brightness) on the LEDs so you get the best of both worlds.

DaveT

Enlightened
Or, you could do the CPF thing: Buy the G2 AND the Pelican M6...then go to Bugout Gear, buy their 3-watt drop-in lamp assembly, and therefore for just a bit over $100 you'll have tried out 2 different lights, both in an incan and an LED mode (the LED replacement will fit both lights), and then you can B/S/T whatever you decide to not keep at a minimal loss, including the LED module if you decide you don't like it...consider it a nominal rental charge to test-drive the possibilities.