Have I been sold some duff batteries?

Face

Enlightened
Hi,

Yesterday I went into my local electronics store to see what kind of rechargeables they had for sale.

Whilst I was there I noticed that they also had some Maxell Super Lithium 3.6v AA batteries - cheaper than what I could find them for on the net, so I bought two. However, I did notice a 04/04 stamp on the batteries - I checked with the sales assistant to ask if this was a use by / best before date and he said no it wasn't and that the batteries were a stock item and not end-of-line or anything, so I was happy.

When I got home, I put one of the batteries into one of HaveBlue MicroMags to see what would happen. I guessed either the bulb would blow or would be overdriven BUT. The bulb came on quite brightly for about 1 second then faded out VERY quickly to nothing. So I put in a 1.5 rechargeable that I had laying around and that lit the bulb fine, albeit not very brightly, so I knew the bulb had not blown or anything. So I tried the other 3.6v battery and the same thing happened as the first battery. Bright for about a second, then very quickly dying.

Now, is this what you would expect to have happened? With my limited knowledge of all things electrical, I think the batteries are duff and that the 04/04 stamp was a use by date.

If you have any information or advice, I would be very grateful.

Many thanks in advance,

Face

AW

Newly Enlightened
Lithium 3.6V AA. I guess it is a LiIon rechargeable you are talking about. Have you try to charge it before use?

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello Face;
You have no doubt purchased 3.6V Lithium thionylchloride AA batteries. That's what they sound a lot like anyway... There's probably nothing at all wrong with them. They are made for memory retention and other low current applications.

They are not all suitable for any device requiring output exceeding 15-25mA or so. So, they are not exciting for driving powerful flashlights using Luxeons -or any incandescent bulbs. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

They have great longivity though-in use, and shelf life too.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Face

Enlightened
Thank you for the replies.

The chap in the shop did say that I had 14 days in which I could take them back, so looks like that is what I'll have to do /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

So, now all I have to do is work out what sort of batteries to use in haveblues micromag. Any ideas? I plan on putting in one of lambda MJLEDS to start with then one of his minipro III's when they become available.

Thanks again,

Face

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know this is a little off subject.

Think about reworking a Xnova single AA light and converting it to work with a Lux emitter. Using Xnova parts and an emitter I've been able to easily convert them into 1AA, 2AA or even 14500 Li-ion rechargeable drop-ins for Mini and MicroMags. Xnova lights are cheap and versatile.