Is this salvageable?

Steve C

Enlightened
Probably not, but I gotta ask...

I have a 3D MagLite that lives in the closet as a spare. It rarely, if ever, gets used. I checked it this morning, saw the beam was rather dull, and tried to put in fresh batteries. Uh-oh... the middle cell had leaked, big time. I got the first two cells out, but the third one (closest to the bulb end) is stuck in there, with all kinds of battery grunge around it. It might have leaked too; cannot tell at this point.

Repeated efforts at percussive persuasion were futile; that puppy is stuck in there. I took the head off, and the bulb housing appears to be semi-permanently fixed in the tube.

Is there a way to get that cell out that I haven't thought of?

Once out, what's the accepted method of attempting to clean up the mess in there and restoring the light?

Or should I just put the head, bulb, and tailcap in the "spares" box, not waste any more time on a $20 flashlight, and chunk the tube?

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm, if you still want to try, this might be an option:

Normally in a 'clean' Mag, you can empty the batteries out, slide the rubber boot off the switch, stick a 2mm or 5/64" Allen key into the center of the switch and unscrew the set screw. This will allow the switch assembly and its integral bulb holder to drop out of the bottom of the Mag, it comes out from the battery compartment.

In your case you may want to unscrew the set screw and use other methods of putting pressure on the switch in order to force it and the battery out.

The easiest way of dealing with this however is to make it someone else's problem - I called up the battery company and asked them about their "if it leaks, we replace it" guarantee.. they did. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

At that time, I was wondering why I bothered to call them up and get them to replace it since I figured I'd never need one again. Then CPF showed me all these mods that you can do with a Mag... uh oh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Steve C

Enlightened
Unfortunately, the batteries were from a government contract; industrial-grade bulk batteries. You've got a life-size picture of the response to my "claim', eh?

Serves me right, I suppose, for being a cheapskate. These were from my Y2K stash; guess I need to throw out the rest.

Thanks for the tip on the switch. I'll try that.

Any other advice?

Would a baking soda/water solution clean things up?

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm guess claiming is out of the question /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif well, like you said, at worst you're only out $20. At best, you can't make the situation any worse.

I've heard a suggestion that you can get a self-tapping screw and drill it into the rear of the battery, and the screw will provide a hold for applying force to pull the battery out. I can imagine how this works but getting the screw in and out may prove troublesome..

I'm guessing those cells are alkalines, in which case vinegar (very weak acetic acid) seems to be the recommended solution since baking soda neutralizes acid, but there is no acid in those cells.

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had the same problem with a Mag -- stuck, leaky middle battery.

What I did was to take the head and tailcap off, and keep pounding the light on a wood surface. Eventually it came out. I dissolved the corrosion with Coca-Cola. You might try soaking it in Coke to get the battery out too.

You need acid to get the corrosion out. Base just makes it worse.

You can get a badly pitted but servicable light by doing that, but it is probably a lot easier just to hit the hardware store. . .

Scott

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did this with my original Mag, bought in 1984 and still running. I soaked it in Coke and pounded the open end on a board until the battery dislodged. Then I removed the lamp assembly like above and put a bright boy scouring pad on a stick in a drill and removed most of the inner alkaline leakage damage (or it will happen again). Finished up by spraying Krylon clear in the works to coat the raw aluminum/corrosion. Thing looks like Hell and has been around the block. It has value as a memento of my not losing it in 20 years. It now sits in my toolbox waiting conversion to LED.

It was easier for that Mag since it was the old design for the non alkaline slightly larger diameter batteries. Alkies rattle in the larger body. The D-ring tailcap won't fit on newer units, nor will the head. Also the @@*#^%&@# thing cost over $35 back then for a 2D! Newer Mags might need the screw extractor trick to pull the batt out. Or a dent puller.

Really though it is not worth it unless you just have a stubborn streak like I do.

DarkLight

Enlightened
I had one bust on me when my mag rolled off of a 8ft ledge onto concrete...the mag still worked but I noticed later when changing batts around while goofing off it wouldnt come off..

I just opened it up and pounded it backside against a wooden stool top and it came out eventually..

I rinsed out mag and it was fine since leakage was only a coup days at most....

Steve C

Enlightened
This leakage is bad. It would need the full treatment as described by Pellidon.

Thanks all for the excellent info.

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
How old is it?
Does it start with a letter D in the serial number like D******* ?

Edit:
Diet coke to avoid the sugary stickyness. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Steve C

Enlightened
It was relatively new; we bought it a few years ago.

Its history now. After contemplating (for about 20 seconds) what would be necessary to restore it, I slapped myself and threw the tube in the circular file. As Pellidon alluded to, unless something like this has sentimental value, and one has nothing better to do with his time...

I will, however, be on the look-out for another one of a color that would go good with this blue head and tailcap; silver, perhaps? Let's see, a blue and silver 3D Mag with EverLed. How trendy... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with the above advice. I used wd 40 in the tube then held the light with the battery end where it was stuck and slammed the botton part on a hard surface to jar the battery out. It slowly made progress to the opening and at that point you need hold it at a lower point and slam your forearm against something to get it out the rest of the way.

One idea I have was to drill out a hole in the battery and use a large screw to get into it and pull it out that way.

UncleFester

Flashaholic*,
Steve C.
If that light is old enough, the switch comes out the front. You can tell by taking the head off and looking at the top of the switch assembly. If there is a metal ring with two dents in it, the switch comes out the front. Loosen the switch with the allen wrench as described earlier. Take a pair of needle nose pliers and unscrew the ring. The switch will come out the front. Then you can use a broom handle or such to push the battries out.
If your light's serial number starts with a D, the switch comes out the back. Someone suggested loosening the switch and pushing on it. That might work if the switch isn't hurt in the process.
Just my 2c

Steve C

Enlightened
Thanks, guys, but I chunked the tube and kept the head and tailcap. I couldn't see spending a considerable amount of time trying to salvage something I can replace for twenty bucks or so.

And it didn't really need replacing. The reason it got that way is because it wasn't used.

All this talk, in other threads, of MagLite's new factory and forthcoming LED lights has me interested. I need another flashlight like I need another hole in my head; so I'll wait and see what the new stuff will be... THEN I'll replace this 3D. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif