Thermal shutdown during continuous SF M6 running?

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
SF M6 owners, I want to know how often you have experienced thermal shutdown when running the MN21 continuously. I had this happen to me once, but I have only done full burns twice, so that's hardly a good sample set. But I know it has happened to Prolepsis and brightnorm.

How often does this happen and does it happen more with certain brands of 123's than with others? And if it happens fairly frequently, why isn't it more widely known and indicated?

I suppose that in most "tactical" situations where the M6/MN21 setup is used that continuous running would be a rarity, but even so, it seems to me that if this happens frequently that there should be some warning to that effect, as there was with the 12PM/ZM.

But perhaps it is a rarity or perhaps it is a known and indicated phenomenon, or perhaps there's some other take on the situation. Would people who actually know, please tell me what the story is.

Thanks very much.

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have done two runtime test constant on with Surefire batteries and no shutdown. I would also expect if anyone in the real world has there M6 on that long it will be in hand which will help dissipate heat quit a bit.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Thermal shutdown during continuous SF M6 runni

Mine was in hand when it happened to me, and I was outside walking on a slightly cool night, but even so, it still happened.

Flashdark

Enlightened
js,

I have had one thermal shutdown using a P-91 in a C3 and perpetual thermal shutdowns every 60-90 seconds in an M4T with N62, 500-lumen bulbs. My only experiences.

Hope this helps.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast

Flashdark,

The P91 in a C3 data helps--that shouldn't have happened--but the N62 is supposed to shut-down; it's a known and indicated phenomenon. Anyway, thanks for the post.

Lightraven

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have never experienced thermal shutdown with my M6 HOLA running Surefire brand batteries. However, I don't think I've ever had the light on continuously for more than 10 minutes at a time. I'm also outside at night, so that probably helps.

BBL

Enlightened

Can someone explain me what part is responsible for thermal shutdown in an incan light? Leds have electronics that do that, but incans?

kongfuchicken

Flashlight Enthusiast

it's a mechanism in the batteries. If they get too hot, they shut down(cut off) on their own so they don't catch fire.
It's like a thermal fuse... only when the batteries cool down, they'll work again.

Size15's

Flashaholic

I have run the M6 constant-on many times and never experienced a "Thermal Shutdown". It is rare I will use it constant-on for more than 10 minutes at a time though.

Hoya

Newly Enlightened

This is my share. Sometimes ago my 9P on P91 shutdown after about 10 mins of continuoes running. I was using Sanyo batts back then. Never experience shutdown thereafter. Strange.

Patrick

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
kongfuchicken said:
it's a mechanism in the batteries. If they get too hot, they shut down(cut off) on their own so they don't catch fire.
It's like a thermal fuse... only when the batteries cool down, they'll work again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now I get it. Makes sense.

Don experience it on my M6 but on my G2. Shuts down after continous operation of say about 15 min. (Energizer batt)

Hmm.........

Prolepsis

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
js said:
But I know it has happened to Prolepsis and brightnorm.

[/ QUOTE ]

I should point out that in the two times I experienced thermal shutdown, the M6 was sitting on the ground, indoors (room temperature). I wasn't holding it nor did I move it. As such, my situation is not the norm. I haven't tried holding the light and running it continuously, or holding it outside at night (where it would be colder, in general).

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good points, Prolepsis, and it's looking as if thermal shutdown is a rarity, and the M6 running the HOLA would not normally be run for 20 minutes straight anway.

So, thanks everyone, I feel reassured.

pyro

Enlightened

I had one shutdown with my M6 so far.

The stress for the batteries is the same with every HOLA,
given the 20 minutes runtime is correct.

So a G2(Z)/P91 should result in hotter batteries than
other lights with the insulating plastic body.

Maybe the M6 doesn't transfer the heat of the cells as
good as other aluminium lights because the cells hardly
touch the body at all. Most of the thermal shutdowns i
heard of happened with M6/MN21 and of course N62 Lamps.