SunwayLED
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Milkyspit's MC2 Thread (also Milky Tester)

Default Re: Milkyspit's MC2 Thread (also Milky Tester)

So when are we going to be able to purchase them?
    The shadows are darkest during the day.

Looks like the boards will be in my hands in 3-4 weeks, then I do final assembly... and around that same time orders will open. Get ready!

Don't want to reveal too much order-related info yet as some details are still in flux... but when orders open, you will be able to order from TWO different CPF-friendly, established online storefronts. Pricing will be identical at each. They will accept your credit cards, handle the packing and shipping (by your choice of carrier, incidentally), provide you with an online-accessible order history, order tracking, status emails, etc. Meanwhile, I'll be free to spend my own time building!

This is the first time I've handled orders in this manner... I'm hopeful it will be a huge WIN for all involved... me, you, the folks so graciously helping me out with order fulfillment! Hope you guys don't mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Archangel
    So when are we going to be able to purchase them?
    --Scott

Milk,
    I for one am so proud of you for introducing this wonderful tool to us and not only fulfilling the promise of creating the MC but improving the entire aspect of the light and the MT intergration within the MC.

I can't wait to use this as it was intended

Major thumbs up
    Doug
    A light on a shelf collects dust, A light in your hand collects the darkness.

Flashaholic

Smile Re: Milkyspit's MC2 Thread (also Milky Tester)

Quote Originally Posted by diggdug13
    Milk,
    I for one am so proud of you for introducing this wonderful tool to us and not only fulfilling the promise of creating the MC but improving the entire aspect of the light and the MT intergration within the MC.

I can't wait to use this as it was intended

Major thumbs up
    Doug
    I agree with Doug, Milky.

I have a question or 2, though: Does the fact that you will be using the services of others for order fulfillment mean that you are just using the "list" of CPFers that you put together to determine how many you should build? (I guess that what I really want to ask is: if I am on your list, will I still need to place an order with someone else, or not?) Thanks, Milky.
    - Joe

good question, if we have ordered from you, and be confimed shouldnt we get a signed "milkyspit" engrave on our lamps?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat_Tony

I have a question or 2, though: Does the fact that you will be using the services of others for order fulfillment mean that you are just using the "list" of CPFers that you put together to determine how many you should build? (I guess that what I really want to ask is: if I am on your list, will I still need to place an order with someone else, or not?) Thanks, Milky.

Sorry for the confusion! Let me explain what I've done, and why I've done it. Please be patient with me... no flames!

One Builder's Dilemma... or, Why the Orders Are the Way They Are!

The list of MC2 signups was in some cases two years old, and for most folks I had no way to contact them other than CPF PM... and some folks don't check CPF that often, and some folks no longer even frequent CPF... yet still want the MC2! Also, the boards are quite expensive (relatively speaking) and required prepayment... and I'm not in a 9-to-5 job at the moment (read: no steady income)... big problem!

I could have taken deposits upfront then gathered the balance later, but this itself would have caused me much more effort just to collect the deposits, keep track of who had paid how much, make sure the appropriate people sent the appropriate balance due later... massive headache! Plus I'm not sure I believe in taking that many folks' money before the product is ready. It just doesn't feel right for some reason.

But if I were to front so much money for boards, LEDs, housings, and the like, I had to have some level of assurance that folks were serious in their intentions. In my infinite wisdom, I figured taking address info was a good gauge of interest... that someone would be unlikely to provide that sort of info if they weren't all that serious about buying the MC2. This also allowed me to gauge interest without making you guys cough up your hard-earned money ahead of time. IMHO it's helped both me and all of you.

BTW, let me assure everybody that your info will NOT be shared, sold, bartered, broadcast, or disseminated in any way, ever! Your privacy is secure. Please don't worry on that front!

Meanwhile I was given a very gracious offer by a friend who operates an online storefront to process the orders... pack the boxes, ship the goods, etc. He is doing this for free, with his only compensation being that folks will visit his website to pay for their MC2. I would encourage you to buy other items of interest from him if he's got them at a good price... you caertainly don't have to! But he's doing us a big favor and hopefully we can make him feel good about the help. An employee who he pays will be packing our MC2s on his dime! Meanwhile, a SECOND, similar offer materialized, so now we've got TWO places to go for payment and shipping services!

This also sidesteps a potential landmine... I've heard from other CPFers doing builds or coordinating group buys, for whom Paypal froze their accounts due to the sudden inflow of cash... it took them quite a bit of time and effort to straighten things out! The above approach would avoid that for us. Please understand that I'm an individual builder and would like to devote my time and energy to BUILDING the MC2s, not to packing 100 boxes or fighting with Paypal when they try to steal my payments, while being out thousands of dollars on the raw materials! That would border on suicidal.

That brings us back to that address info. I guess you would need to
    re-enter your info during the payment process. I hope this would be no more than an inconvenience to you, and further hope you could understand why I've taken this approach. Please, know that I have done all this with the best interests of everyone at heart... and nothing else! If you don't agree with the execution chalk it up to my own idiocy, but never for a moment question my intentions.

So I would respectfully ask that folks please accept the process as designed. I really do think it's a benefit to all, a privacy risk to none, and at the end of the day, allows me to get your MC2s into your hands sooner.

That said, if you absolutely, positively can't stand the system I've setup, I will allow you to pay me directly and I'll pack and ship. However, I strongly discourage this. If you can find it in your heart, please go through the system in the standard manner... it will be MUCH easier! You have my sincere appreciation for your help. If I haven't answered your questions or addressed your concerns on ordering above, please ask and I'll do my best to answer whatever's on your mind.

To tell you the truth, I'm kinda bummed-out about the whole thing... thought I was doing a good thing for the group.
    --Scott

Flashaholic

Scott, I think the system you've devised is perfect: it lets you concentrate on doing what you do best (build lights) and leaves the order filling business to people who do it best - online retailers.

We, your fans/customers, will get our lights sooner, and you have a major time-waster/headache expunged. Win/win.

"If you want peace, work for justice" - H.L. Mencken, Pope Paul VI
    "The past is never dead. It's not even past." - William Faulkner

Yes I agee, no problems with your system here

Scott,

your system for ordering and shipping is nothing less than perfect. if you start beating your self up please refer to post 183

doug

As someone who has done a large build and who absolutely LOATHES the boxing and shipping process, I wish that I had had the foresight to arrange something similar.

This is the best of both worlds, easy payment through a recognized dealer and a product that will ship with the advantages of a shipper who has developed an efficient process.

Scott, this is the best idea a small builder has come up with! Kudos!!!

Bill
    Only a virtuous people are capable of freedom. As nations become more corrupt and vicious, they have more need of masters.
    Benjamin Franklin

I have to agree with Bill on this one guys. Scott is really good at what he does... modding lights. His sign up list is absolutely huge for this project and he should be concentrating on getting those lights assembled and completed. In order to get everything packaged up, he has chosen two very respected and local (I'm fortunate enough to live very close to Scott) distributors.

I for one see no problems with this means of getting the MC2 out and I'm sure that this will expedite the process in the long run!

I perssonally can't wait to see the finished product. I've played with these lights all throughout the development stages and seen quite a variety of siblings. Should be a great and unique light.

Thanks for keeping us informed as well Scott.

MSax

Flashaholic

To tell you the truth, I'm kinda bummed-out about the whole thing... thought I was doing a good thing for the group. [/QUOTE]

No worries here mate, its your baby and you can bring it into the world anyway you see fit

Cheers,
    Simon

Quote Originally Posted by Sturluson
    Scott, I think the system you've devised is perfect: it lets you concentrate on doing what you do best (build lights) and leaves the order filling business to people who do it best - online retailers.
    Yup, what Sturluson said.

Master Milky is one of the best modders/builders, and one of the nicest, and most honorable people I've dealt with (on CPF and elsewhere). It's obvious he's given a lot of consideration to this plan, and there is no doubt in my mind that this is the best solution available to us.

I'm on the news about the vendors, etc.

*I* have only one regret... not signing up for more MilkyCandles!! They sound incredible pieces of engineering! Who's heard of 0% capacity cells being able to power a LED for so long, and now CR2's can be used as well!?

Gimmmeee!!!

I've received the components to build the first batch (100 sets of parts). The PCBs (200 boards) are in production and should be in my hands in <10 days.

Milky will supply me with the LEDs to install on the boards.

Then the assembling starts and then the finished drivers will be shipped to Milky for installing into the housings and final programming - I've supplied Milky with the source files and he has the programming setup running at his place and is up to speed on 'tweaking' the software.

This project is definitely on the roll!

george.
    LED drivers www.TaskLED.com
    I hate PM - so email me - info is in my profile.

+1 ...i for one am grateful for this opertunity to get this awsome light,just was a bit confused who to pay and when.
    Quote Originally Posted by simonsays
    To tell you the truth, I'm kinda bummed-out about the whole thing... thought I was doing a good thing for the group.

No worries here mate, its your baby and you can bring it into the world anyway you see fit

Cheers,
    Simon[/QUOTE]

The white and amber LEDs for the first 100 MC2 units have been ordered. Still need more housings but have at least 52 in my possession right now. Need some smaller hardware... bolts, washers, springs, nylon spacers... no biggie! Meanwhile I've been focusing on testing the 2xCR2 configuration and things seem to be working as expected. Moving along!
    --Scott

Flashaholic

Red face Re: Milkyspit's MC2 Thread (also Milky Tester)

Quote Originally Posted by milkyspit
    Hi Milky. (I didn't see CPF all weekend, sorry for the late reply). I would just like you to know that I most certainly was not questioning your intentions, nor your integrity, nor your system, I was simply trying to gain an understanding of what else I would need to do before I received any Milky Candles. In essence, I was looking for a more in-depth explanation of the ordering process. Thank you for spelling it out for me, BTW. I apologize if my question offended you. I hope that we're "cool".
    - Joe

Hi Milky. (I didn't see CPF all weekend, sorry for the late reply). I would just like you to know that I most certainly was not questioning your intentions, nor your integrity, nor your system, I was simply trying to gain an understanding of what else I would need to do before I received any Milky Candles. In essence, I was looking for a more in-depth explanation of the ordering process. Thank you for spelling it out for me, BTW. I apologize if my question offended you. I hope that we're "cool".

No worries Joe. We are most definitely !
    --Scott

Hmm... something Mr UPS dropped off this morning...

george.

Heh heh.
    --Scott

"Here's a good idea: A light bulb that only shines on things worth looking at." --George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by georges80
    Hmm... something Mr UPS dropped off this morning...

Hands off!! They're mine!

Well, some elves have been busy and some of the boards now look like:

george.

Woo-hoo!

DO we have a estimated time when they will be available?

So what's the latest operation? It automatically steps down from high >> med >> low >> amber >> blinky_amber?

Quote Originally Posted by Archangel
    So what's the latest operation? It automatically steps down from high >> med >> low >> amber >> blinky_amber?

Actually, the MC2 will automatically begin in whatever output level you've chosen... high, medium, nightlight, or amber (four user-selectable levels)... and when the cells are too depleted to continue the chosen level without dimming, the white LED shuts down in favor of the amber one... and when the cells are approaching exhaustion, the amber one begins gently pulsing dim, off, on... dim, off, on... etc.

There's more but I'm tired! Please, let me sleep!
    --Scott

Is it time now to get my name down for two?

Karl

Quote Originally Posted by karlthev
    Is it time now to get my name down for two?

Karl

Yes Karl! Yes!

Send me a PM with your contact info when you have a chance, confirm the quantity you want to reserve, and they'll be built and waiting for you!

To All... Next Week? Maybe? Seriously!

The last of the white 5mm LEDs are streaming toward George as we speak. With luck he will receive them by this coming Monday. That means it's also possible that he just might have a big ol' package making its way back to me by the end of next week! Then the FOLLOWING Monday, with luck, I'd be in a position to do final assembly... and all of you who have been so unbelievably, Saintly patient, would at last be able to plunk down your money and get your MC2s! So while I cannot guarantee an exact availability date, I can say with a fair amount of confidence that at this point we're talking in terms of weeks or even days, not months! Yippee!!

Last edited by milkyspit; 08-18-2006 at 10:26 AM.
    --Scott

WOW!! I can't wait to get my hands on these so I can use the "un-usable" CR123's I've got lying all over the place..

this will make a great house warming gift for myself...he he he

eagerly anticipating the shipping release dates.

doug