Klarus
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Milkyspit's MC2 Thread (also Milky Tester)

Default Re: Milkyspit's MC2 Thread (also Milky Tester)

Thurmond
    Resistance is Futile. You Will be Modded!!
    Infinity (CMG that is) and Beyond!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tritium
    Thurmond
    Boards are all assembled, programmed & tested and will be in Milky's hands by Monday the latest...

Oh, and I have 4 built units in my own hot little hands

george.
    LED drivers www.TaskLED.com
    I hate PM - so email me - info is in my profile.

Quote Originally Posted by georges80
    Boards are all assembled, programmed & tested and will be in Milky's hands by Monday the latest...

Oh, and I have 4 built units in my own hot little hands

george.
    Now that is just wrong George. MC's and Fatflexes too.

Thurmond
    Resistance is Futile. You Will be Modded!!
    Infinity (CMG that is) and Beyond!!

I very much looking forward to this light, milky i may have missed it in one of your posts , but after this first group of 100,of which im in, what does the production schedual of more of them look like ? as ill want a couple others in a month or 2 .
    Last edited by TENMMIKE; 08-23-2006 at 09:28 PM.

Guess I'd better get busy assembling housings!

Quote Originally Posted by TENMMIKE
    I very much looking forward to this light, milky i may have missed it in one of your posts , but after this first group of 100,of which im in, what does the production schedual of more of them look like ? as ill want a couple others in a month or 2 .
    Basically I'm looking to build in groups of at least 100... so when demand gets close enough to cover the expenses of another run, I'd go ahead and order the boards, housings, etc. There is no specific limit on the number of MC2 units I might make, although I reserve the right to make ongoing improvemets!

BTW, in the event that the firmware itself gets updated in some meaningful way, anyone with an existing MC2 could have their light reprogrammed with the latest and greatest version simply by returning it to me. No pricing set on that as of yet since we don't even have the current MC2 out the door! Just wanted to let everyone know that capability does exist.
    --Scott

Flashaholic*

How can I find out if I'm in the first 100?

(Edit): I think this was my original interest expression... Notice the posting date...
    Last edited by bucken; 08-24-2006 at 06:51 AM. Reason: new reference
    -bucken-

Bucken, if you posted way back then, you're definitely on the list! BTW, did you send me your additional contact info? Email address, possibly mailing address... that helps to "soft-confirm" your request plus gives me alternate means of contacting you if necessary. No worries!
    --Scott

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by milkyspit
    Bucken, if you posted way back then, you're definitely on the list! BTW, did you send me your additional contact info? Email address, possibly mailing address... that helps to "soft-confirm" your request plus gives me alternate means of contacting you if necessary. No worries!
    Milkyspit,
    Sure did! The milky candle is destined to be something VERY unique. Thanks for sharing...
    -bucken-

Folks! I'm kinda sorta on vacation for a few days... but not (still have been checking email and PMs)... but really am (have been slack about the checking!)... does this make any sense?
    :Thinking:

I haven't taken a real vacation in so long that I'd kinda forgotten what it was all about. Meanwhile, seems I allowed my PM inbox to fill to capacity... please excuse!!! If anybody has tried and failed to PM me... well, please try again. It should now work fine. And please accept my apologies!
    --Scott

Flashaholic

Back from the void, I add my name to the list wanting a MC2.
    email sent.

Quote Originally Posted by Overload
    Back from the void, I add my name to the list wanting a MC2.
    email sent.
    Overload, either your email didn't reach me or I mistakenly deleted it! Any chance you could PM me your info? Many thanks!
    --Scott

Overload, Got your PM. Thanks.
    --Scott

Guess what Milky's having for breakfast?

--Scott

Email sent! Thank you for all the effort you've put into this project!
    -Jeff

MrBadger

Got it Jeff... many thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by MrBadger
    Email sent! Thank you for all the effort you've put into this project!
    --Scott

Let's Rock!

The build has begun. I've actually shipped some MC2 units to a few folks with whom I'd had trade obligations or other special circumstances. There are also a few "early adopters" who received units so I could get some constructive feedback. (Thanks folks!) And they didn't even have the benefit of an instruction sheet, as that wasn't completed yet!

At this point, anyone who's received units, feel free to post about them! As for everyone else, no worries. I'll keep building until everyone gets what they wanted... in fact, that's well underway...

For the time being I'll be emailing and/or PMing folks when their units are ready, so warm up the Paypals please! If that gets out of hand, I'll do as mentioned before and let The Product Wizard handle the order taking and shipping. (Thanks Steve!) Incidentally, ProdWiz is a very cool online storefront... plus they've got a REAL storefront in south NJ... handle flashlights, knives, and Lord knows what else... AWESOME website (try the product closeup... way cool)... great folks! Darned cool logo, too...

The Product Wizard

Meanwhile, a slightly different flavor of MC2 will be available in the near future from Tek-tite. I'm really not sure of pricing, packaging, or similar details, but their version of the MC2 will be a 3AAA, weatherproof model suitable for outdoor use... campsite, tent light, hurricane light, bugout bag... even as a low-powered, long-running flashlight. Here's a photo of a prototype (no it's not the blown-out Surefire body)...

Finally, here's a little snippet describing some operating features... the full-blown instruction sheet will be posted here when completed...

Quick Tips.

Unscrew the BOTTOM to install or remove batteries... screw bottom back into place all the way to turn on, or back off just a bit and press inward on the metal washer at bottom for momentary on... a quick press on then off will make the MC2 switch to the next-lower mode next time you turn on the unit, and when at the lowest output, the next such mode change will return to max output... the levels (in order) are HIGH, MEDIUM, LOW, and AMBER. The MC2 will automatically switch to amber when your cells cannot keep the current mode in regulation any longer... sometimes you'll see the unit going back and forth for a short while if the voltage is right at the borderline... when the cells are REALLY depleted, the amber LED will begin pulsating gently, letting you know it's time to look for some more cells! Also, you can unscrew the nylon spacer inside the tailcap to make the spring reach farther into the tube... do this to run with a single 123 cell.

Thanks folks! Please hang in there... yours is coming, and soon!
    --Scott

Oh not to worry, I'm here....and I'm sure all the others are as well!

Karl

Flashaholic*

If there is room on the list I would be in for 2. Contact information will be pm'd shortly. Thanks. Kirk K.

Quote Originally Posted by Nebula
    If there is room on the list I would be in for 2. Contact information will be pm'd shortly. Thanks. Kirk K.
    Kirk, yes, there's room... but I didn't receive your contact information PM. Maybe it got lost somehow? Please resend when you get a chance.
    --Scott

Meanwhile, a slightly different flavor of MC2 will be available in the near future from Tek-tite. I'm really not sure of pricing, packaging, or similar details, but their version of the MC2 will be a 3AAA, weatherproof model suitable for outdoor use... campsite, tent light, hurricane light, bugout bag... even as a low-powered, long-running flashlight. Here's a photo of a prototype (no it's not the blown-out Surefire body)...

That's really great! Using common AAA cells, and with Tek-Tite quality. Hope you make good $$$ from it.

But ... will there ever be an AA version?

"Here's a good idea: A light bulb that only shines on things worth looking at." --George Carlin

Flashaholic*

Milky - PM sent. Kirk K

Milky - PM sent. Kirk K
    Kirk, PM replied.
    --Scott

Flashaholic*

Scott - PayPal sent for ML1 and MC2. Thanks. Kirk

Scott - PayPal sent for ML1 and MC2. Thanks. Kirk
    Kirk, PM replied.
    --Scott

I strongly second the request for an AA version. I generate more worn out AA's than 123's these days...
    "Those big D cells are too fat, and AA's are too skinny, but these C's are juust right" - Goldilocks

Flashaholic

Hi Scott...
    Back from my trip. Please ship when you can.
    Thanks,
    KnightStar
    I keep telling myself...
    I am NOT a flashaholic.
    I am a COLLECTOR.

... Also, you can unscrew the nylon spacer inside the tailcap to make the spring reach farther into the tube... do this to run with a single 123 cell.

Thanks folks! Please hang in there... yours is coming, and soon!
    That's a great additional feature!
    "For those who know, no explanation is needed. And for those whom do not, none is possible." They can take your money away, but they can't take your education. If a man's not worth his word then what's he worth?

Off to a good start. So far 27 MC2 units have shipped... of course, that includes my own half-dozen!

Point is: we're getting there. Just in the soft-confirm list that's only 1/3 to 1/4 the total quantity, and there are literally of HUNDREDS of requests of units from folks who didn't soft-confirm!

No worries... I'll order another run of boards if necessary, and so long as the other components remain available will keep building until everybody who wants one, has one. At least that's the goal!

Have procrastinated big time on completing the instruction pamphlet. MSaxatilus (one of the first recipients of an MC2... and why not! He showed up at the Milky Labs IN PERSON to make the pickup!) graciously drafted the pamphlet and I still haven't forced myself to finish the edits and reformatting. However, I've been shipping the MC2 units so far with a "Quick Tips" cheat sheet and will post the full-blown instructions here, or at least a link to them, once available. If you've already got an MC2, keep watching this thread for updates!

BTW, thanks for all the continued support, folks.

Quote Originally Posted by KnightStar
    Hi Scott...
    Back from my trip. Please ship when you can.
    Thanks,
    KnightStar
    Shipped!

Quote Originally Posted by Yooper
    I strongly second the request for an AA version. I generate more worn out AA's than 123's these days...
    There's no technical reason an AA version couldn't be built... just a matter of selecting a reasonable host. If anyone knows of a potential host... maybe some sort of plumbing part, or generic flashlights for sale by the dozen on ebay, or you're a machinist and want to turn some bodies for the cause yourself, or whatever... let me know!
    --Scott

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast