PocketMateW. 9W variable output blaster. Thread II

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
<font color="red">The first 200 or so replies to the original PocketMateW thread can be found HERE</font>

It's been waay too long between drinks! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Over the past year or so, the modders amongst us have been coming out with a myriad of excellent lights. A big majority of them have one thing in common though... they all used a single die Luxeon III. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Yes, the LuxIIIs have very long lives. Yes, the LuxIIIs can run from lower voltages. Yes, these LEDs are (relatively) cheap. Yes, they also result in smaller flashlights. But where are those beefy Luxeon V mods? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I want Luxeon V lights!

Introducing... the PocketMate-W.

This light uses the very popular OA2C host, cut down to take either a single Pila 168S Li-Ion rechargable or 2 Lithium CR123As. Total length is 195mm or 7.7inches and it fits in your palm juuust riiiiigght /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif. This light uses a boost converter to provide constant current to the Luxeon V LED with W rated flux, binned WX1U to be precise. The light also has a variable output dial perpendicular to the switch just below the head. Output can be varied anywhere between 30mA (Arc AAA brightness) and 1000mA (WOW brightness /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif ). UCL lens completes the package.

*** EDIT. Max current will now be set at 1300mA to enhance that WOW factor... making it a 9 WATT monster!!

Here are some photos:

21.jpg

The engine room /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

15.jpg

WX1U Luxeon on the Hotlips just before being soldered.

12.jpg

The Hotlips in perfect contact with the OAC in its permanent home

1.jpg

OA2D, OA2C, PocketMate-W, Miltech (Pelican M6), Arc LS

19.jpg

Light in hand: PocketMate-W

20.jpg

Light in hand: OA2C - 2 C Cells

22.jpg

Light in hand: OA2D - 2 D Cells (MR-X)

27.jpg

The PocketMate-W

30.jpg

The PocketMate-W

Switch it on, adjust the brightness level, use the light. Need to work close range, dial in a lower output. Need to see what is up that tree, dial up the brightness. Switch it off and switch it on again, the light output is where you left it last.

Thoughts. Comments?

*** Run#1 build completed 4 Sept 2004, GMT+1000

J_Oei

Enlightened
Re: PocketMateW. 9W variable output blaster. Threa

I like pewter!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

(if not, I'd end up missing this yet again!!)
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/paypal.gif

cy

Flashaholic

I'm in for one blue please..

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Heya BC.......PS. You shouldn't have sold yours last time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif You are so right! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif< BC0311

Thanks for putting me on the tailend of the list in case you have one left over. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Britt

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
J_Oei, PP received. Thanks. You chose your colour well! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

CY, PM/EM replied

BC, no problems. You're on TOP of the list now. Run #3 list /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kewl! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Thanks, Howie!

BC

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK... all PocketMate-W run# 2's have been spoken for. The build begins...

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh nevermind Jon, there is always run #3... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got the good news, Howard! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

Thanks bunches! Happy building /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Britt

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just finished the small batch of PocketMate-W run #2 build. Here are some pics. They're all heading out the door tomorrow. Check your letterboxes... in a week's time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

60mA through each LED 1/50 F5
beamshots_pocketmate-w2_1g.jpg

1300mA through each LED 1/50 F5
beamshots_pocketmate-w2_1h.jpg

54 watts of blinding light!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif
beamshots_pocketmate-w2_1a.jpg

Ceiling about 18' away
beamshots_pocketmate-w2_1b.jpg

Ceiling about 18' away Note the 60w incandescent bulb to the left being dwarfed by the PocketMate-W's
beamshots_pocketmate-w2_1c.jpg

beamshots_pocketmate-w2_1d.jpg

beamshots_pocketmate-w2_1e.jpg

beamshots_pocketmate-w2_1f.jpg

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very cool - and check out the variations in tint in the 60ma photo. Are those all from the same bin?

Jon

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast

Holly macro. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/str.gif
That sure is nice.

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/party.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif Mailbox will be under surveillance. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Stonedog.... yes, all are WX1T. It is surprising that the tint varies like that. Well, they are the LuxV's

Modamag... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

BC... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
GOT MINE! Gorgeous, Howard. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

Works perfectly, it'll be going with me on my upcoming trip. A real powerhouse and very compact. It'll go in the side pocket of my pack inside a suede cocoon.

Having the dimmer and on/off switches separate is the cat's meow for my taste. A very practical, high performance work horse....er...race horse. That Pewter knocks me out.

Thanks again,

Britt

Likebright

Enlightened

I have one of these wonderful lights from the first run and use it alot.
The combination of full dimability and the Pila rechargeable, along with its great throw and perfect lignth, make it an extremely useful light.
You six just joined the very special and luck few of us who own one of these great hotbeam creations. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif CONGRATULATIONS!
Mike /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

tactical

Newly Enlightened

Received mine today.
Looks excellent Howard.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif Great work.
I can't wait to get home, put batt's in and fire her up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Thanks again Howard!