Chop's LE on SF heads (* images inside *)

akula88

Enlightened
Chop\'s LE on SF heads (* images inside *)

I'm an SF fan, the Exe/L1 series in particular. As most of us, the limiting factor is the availability of funds /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif -- thus I'm just trying to make do with best bang for the buck /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

McGizmo's Aleph platfrom expanded (I mean EXPLODED) the scene further. Chop (Tony), in particular, gave me new avenues for this platform...enabling the mating of the Aleph's Light Engine concept with Surefire's beautiful creation.

Late last year, I got Chop to envigorate an old E2e bezel with a McR20 reflector, turning it down to fit into the bezel, and threaded the inside for Light Engine compatibility.

Early this year, I contacted Tony for a new project -- LE-ize an L1 bezel (which had been lying around). I had opened the L1 bezel before, and its innards has less bulk compared with an E2e bezel -- thus modification would be different. But short of a miracle, Tony came through with another brilliant idea.
2xleizedsfs28jw.jpg

image of the LE-ized head

This time, the good-old so17xa (17mm IMS reflector) was used. I was made to choose whether to use it or turned-down a Mc20R. I chose the former on the basis of its larger hotspot and I was not dissapointed. The beam is quite defined and LARGE.

2beamscompared0ca.jpg

image below, also has an Aleph-2 for comparison

Ignoring the intensity, I find the LEize-L1-so17xa such a beauty.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Re: Chop\'s LE on SF heads (* images inside *)

Johnny /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif ... dito, like those, too !!

Chopped Exe heads ... mmmhhh ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

bernie

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast

bernie,

The L1 head mod is a bit different from the EXe mod. There isn't enough "meat" to chase the threads to accommodate a light engine, so I have to fill the head with JB Weld. After it sets, I then drill and bore the head to accommodate the reflector and allow for sufficient material to thread to accept the LE.

The mod is a PITA, but it's worth it, if you're looking for something different.

Kiessling

Flashaholic

Oh ... I see ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif ... but since *you* are the one doing the work, it won't worry me too much that the mod is a PITA to make ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
bernie

Wicho

Enlightened

Hey Chop!

Any chance you could do the L1 mod for me? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif If you can, could you PM the cost to me? I have two L1's with the high dome Lux I's, but...always need better!

Thanks,
Wicho.

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast

Niiiiiice!

Wilkey