Teflon wire

dasfx

Newly Enlightened
I searched around, but didn't really see anything. Anyone got a good internet source for teflon jacketed wire? Thanks.

*Retired*

greenLED

Flashaholic
I found good deals on eBay, but I ended up scavenging wire (26AWG) from a burnt PC (powersupply and other connectors). I am not sure if PC wire is teflon coated, but it is the right gauge and it is stranded too.

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
Teflon insulated wire is great stuff; you can't hurt it with a soldering iron. If you are used to fighting insulation melt-back with ordinary PVC hook-up wire, you'll appreciate a great and stable insulation when you try Teflon wire.

Teflon wire is usually silver plated, because the wire is rated for use at over 125°C. At high temperatures, and over time, tin plating or solder tinning can dissolve into the underlying copper wire, leaving a surface that is difficult to solder. Silver plating can withstand higher temperatures for longer periods of time than can conventional tinning.

A common complaint about Teflon wire is that it is hard to strip. The insulation is slippery. It takes me forever to get the insulation off the wire.

Another complaint is improperly stripped (nicked) stranded Teflon wire often fails at the connection point.

Teflon insulated wire is expensive, several times more expensive than ordinary PVC insulated wire.

I picked up my Teflon wire at RadioShack a billion years ago. Item #278-552. My coils are ancient; I think my container belongs in a museum. I don't think RS has the stuff anymore. The Teflon wires are ancient but very useable.

teflon_wire.jpg

greenLED

Flashaholic
the coating doesn't melt when you solder it.

haveblue, that's indeed a collector's item! My local RatShack is more of a cell-phone biz than anything else. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif I need a Fry's nearby... wait, maybe I don't need one or I'd spend all my time there.

So, is computer wire teflon coated? Would it work better than regular PVC coat for mods?

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Computer wire isn't nessasarly teflon coated. I've used it in mods and mines been PVC coated and would melt back.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
cat5 plenum should be teflon, powersupply wire no. If you're going to go with cat5/5e/6 then make sure you get stranded not solid core as solid will break easily after a few flexes. I can't remember who on CPF had a problem and found out it was because they used solid wire cat5 that was flexed too much.

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another advantage of Teflon wire is that the actual size of the insulation is many times smaller than other insulations, therefore weighs less, but is still much stronger than others.

greenLED

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
IsaacHayes said:
Computer wire isn't nessasarly teflon coated. I've used it in mods and mines been PVC coated and would melt back.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is there an easy way to tell PVC- vs. teflon coating on PC wires?

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast
Teflon is slimmey/slippery. Another thing I noticed is that all the teflon I got are stripped color ... red/white, blue/white, purple/white ... stripped like that.

Stripping teflon is really easy if you got a sharp stripper. Trying to use wire cutters to strip them is gonna be alot of fun though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I got a whole bunch of these 22/24 gauge. If you guys need a couple of ft I can send it to ya so you can try it out.

georges80

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cooper tools has a great stripper (about $70 though) that can do Teflon wire. It is model SAS3210. It comes with two stripping cartridges, one for Teflon wire and one for normal pvc wire - it works great!

Here's one place on the web (not where I bought mine, but you can see a picture of it etc): teflon/pvc stripper

george.