NiMH in PT Rage & PT Blast

triplem

Newly Enlightened
Anyone know if it is okay to use AAA NiMH in the PT Rage & PT Blast?

These are great lights except for the relatively short runtime. They are prime candidates for rechargeables so long as it doesn't damage the lamp assembly.

Thanks,

Neal

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
It doesn't damage the LA. I've used Sanyo 800mah AAAs in mine since the day I got it (around a couple of months ago?)

STEVENT6

Enlightened
Triplem,

Yes they definitely are prime candidates for rechargeables. I have both and when I bought them the batteries included were put aside for remotes or emergencies. So I've only used them with rechargeable batteries mostly NIMH. I also used cheap NICAD 300 mah batteries a few times. The only difference I noticed is that they may start off being a bit brighter on alkalines. As far as I know they won't damage the lamp assemblies. I never considered them to have a short runtime, at least compared to other incadescent lights.

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been extremely happy with NiMh in my Blast. Good brightness and steady output for a long time. Very easy access to the batteries, also. It is almost as if they designed it to be perfectly compatible with NiMH.

Ray_of_Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is to consider the already short life of the Blast bulb will be shortened even more with rechargeable. From my experience, the Rage bulb show'd no problem in being fed with rechargeable.
With two different Blasts, I timed 15 and 20 hours of life with Ni-MH, and about the double with alkalines. The Rage bulb lasts 40 hours on either Ni-MH or alkalines.

Hope this helps

Anthony

triplem

Newly Enlightened
Big thanks to everyone for the input. Looks like I'm gonna put some nimh in the Rage (especially if it lasts 40 hours - thanks Anthony). My 18 month old loves playing with that light with its glowing green body.

By the way, I called PT today. The person I spoke with did not know if it was okay to use nimh, was unaware of PT ever trying nimh and due to a lack of knowledge on the subject recommended against it. Glad you CPF'ers are around!

Neal

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always cringe a little when people talk of giving bright flashlights to small children. Children will point the light into their eyes and this is actually harmful to the eyes. The harm is slight and incremental but it is cumulative over a lifetime. I'll bet you can find a dim light for the child to play with instead, or maybe use 3 cells only.

triplem

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Lurker. I appreciate and share your concern. When he plays with the PT I help / take control of his arms and control the beam path. Otherwise he gets a single AAA led light or a Dorsey with a single near dead AA.

Neal