Anyone want Electroless Nickel Aleph parts?

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just curious to see if anyone else might want some Aleph parts done up in electroless nickel? I like the look of this finish and am considering commissioning Endeavour to do a piece for me.

Wilkey

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast
It looks really nice electroless Ni. If its similar to what kj did then it's "a piece of art for an art piece".

bajaiman

Enlightened
Yes I'd be interested....Can we use our own parts?? ... I'm thinking 2 sets (Aleph 3/BE4/Mc2ES and Aleph 1/aleph body 2x123/Mc2ES but of course it will depend on the price.

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
hmm.... Electroless nickel? is that like chrome? I would liek a FT and an Aleph3 head and an Aleph1 head. Stick a fork in me, I hooked.
hypnotized.gif

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bajai,
Yes, I think you can submit your own parts. This is primarily to pool the plating costs.

Cro,
EN is not bright and shiny like chrome. It is like a silver gray and more matte. IMO, it's one of the most elegant finished out there. Not gaudy but tough and sophisticated.

Wilkey

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds cool. Got any photos to give an example of what it looks like... or even better, what it looks like compared to other finishes such as chrome and HA3?
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic
It has been my experience that EN will give a warmer color and when compared to chrome, it seems to almost have a yellow tint to it. The plating can be very bright and reflective depending on the amount of etching of the part prior to plating. If the part is highly polished first, it can be plated with retension of this polish.

Since EN is electrically conductive, there is no need for concern of breaking through the film to establish the ground path in the battery tube; as is the case for anodized parts. I had a few Aleph parts EN plated and toyed with bead blasting some parts with masking to go for the contrast in surface texture. As it is, there are enough worms crawling around with the options in anodized parts. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

If you are after a matte finish, the part either needs extended etching or bead blasting, IMHO.

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll chime in and agree with McGizmo - When compared to highly polished aluminum, or chrome, nickel has a sort of warm, yellowed tint to it. As he said though, EN plating is hardly matte. It's not show chrome, but it's still pretty reflective.

31054.jpg

That's polished aluminum with bead blasted bands - nickel should have a bit more reflectivity, and a slightly warmer tint to it.

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the warmer tint. Must be the hot wire in me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Good to hear the clarification about the finish texture. That to me means a unit with polished and blasted bands under EN would look great. Not as "cold" as raw aluminum but dressier than HA nat or black.

I'm liking this more and more.

Wilkey

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oohhhhh nooooooooo.....

My E2e-SG would like a conversion to LED..you can guess where this is going, EN plated A2 head with the E2e-SG power pack and tailswitch, and money going out of Paypal account! NOOOO!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/str.gif