Do you use a phonograph?

We are not alone:

• Total voters

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone still play records? I have boxes of them and a phonograph, but never use it. I see people ditching them in favor of Ipods, but the sound is incomparable.

The poll titles got shifted when the CPF server was moved. The Poll title refers to an ET thread.

Last edited:

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay, my dad collects antiques and other ju-- stuff, so he has tons of records and a couple victrolas and phonographs.

He and I play them sometimes.

I personally like the Beatles so I'd have to say Sgt. Peppers. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Records are classic. The popping and hissing gives them class /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Although, I am no stranger to the CD player myself /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
Old [pre-groping days] Bill Cosby records. . . . . The Chicken Heart, . .Old weir Harold, . . . /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

My other records are just my parent's old Rambos, Blackwood Brothers, and Goodman type records. Though I DO have a Herb Alperts Tiawana Brass record that I bought in my youth, . . . . . because it had a girl sitting in 'whipped cream', . . . . . . . . . well anyway, the musics pretty good too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

bindibadgi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love them too and I have quite a few. My favourite is "On the Threshold of a Dream" by the Moody Blues. I have a generic copy, the original Australian release and the original British release. Until a month ago I didn't have it on CD though, I just listen to it on the phono mostly.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I haven't used a phonograph player since the late-1970s.
During the 1980s, I used cassettes.
During the 1990s to present, I use CDs.

I still play cassettes on occasion, and I have a number of ghetto blasters with tape transports, but the vast majority of the time I listen to music on CD.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I have a bunch of 45s from my childhood I plan on ripping to CD and hopefully eliminating most of the *noise* on them. When you have music on records good enough to travel with you gotta have portable media copies of them. I just wish the industry instead of just selling you a record would sell you the right to one copy of works and charge a slight fee for *updating* your copy to newer format. As it is some people end up buying the same album 3 times, record, cassette, then CD.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
My old Dual turntable from the late 60's still works if I spin it by hand for a bit. The problem is the cartridge and needle are shot, not to mention most of the old albums. I've still got some albums that are monaural. There was a time when you could save a buck or two buying those instead of the same in stereo.

Geoff

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I still have my old Technics direct-drive turntable as well as a lot of old vinyl that I'll eventually transfer to CD. Maybe. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got two turntables that I use from time to time. I do still listen to records for the sheer joy of it, and I transfer LP's to CD for myself and friends on occasion.

-Keith

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
NeonLights said:
I've got two turntables that I use from time to time. I do still listen to records for the sheer joy of it, and I transfer LP's to CD for myself and friends on occasion.

-Keith

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, there's still something nice and tactile about holding a real, vinyl 12" album. The full-sized cover art, liner notes that are big enough to read without a magnifying glass, the promise of the music held within those visible grooves. And the sound is noticeably warmer IMO. Ok, there's the clicks, pops and skipping, but the rest of it more than makes up for that for me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't used mine in god, probably 10 years or more. The sound is great. I think my mom dropped it in the garage and smashed it anyways. I haven't seen it in a while. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the responses. I passed up a top of the line record player at a garage sale (5$) and felt bad about it all day. I know I can't keep buying these things, but at the same time I know its value to an enthusiast.

bindibadgi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know. I have about four phonographs. One of them is a 60's suitcase model with integrated valve amp and single speaker and it's the sort that stacks the 45s. It will also play 78s (I only have a few of those).

rikvee

Enlightened
pretty sure a phonograph is a cylinder based player (the one Edison invented), disc records play on a Gramophone (developed by Berliner).

DarkLight

Enlightened
I have a Direct drive Dual quartz locked with heavy aluminum platter with a 300 dollar Grado cartridge with nude diamond stylus...

I have about 200 albums in exc condition, many on virgin vinyl...I got some great ones in Germany.....I have some Scorpion albums with covers you cant get here...(nude women)...
Plus I have a DBX decoder unit with noise reduction...