Dorcy Spyder vs Tl-2 for mod w/TL-3 bulb

farscape105

Newly Enlightened
Just bought a Spyder and plan on using a TL3 bulb and rechargeable 123's from batterystation, which will give about 20 minute runtime. But now I am thinking I should use the TL-2 for this mod because the TL-2 has aluminum reflector and glass lens. Anyone know if Spyder is just a plastic reflector. The reason I started worrying about this is on the packaging it says not to use Spyder for more than 10 minutes. Not that all this matters too much with just 20 minute runtime. But I don't want to end up melting reflector. Opinions? Thanks

davidefromitaly

Enlightened
the spyder have an aluminium reflector but the lens isn't mineral

i use the tl-3 bulb in the spyder and scorpion without any problem but in the spyder you must modify the socket where fit the lamp because the 2 pin of the tl-3 bulb are much shorter than the spyder bulb

farscape105

Newly Enlightened
Davidefromitaly, can you please tell me how I need to modify the socket in the Spyder.

farscape105

Newly Enlightened
Not sure how to do that, can you give some more details? You mean like solder on an extension or something. Kind of new to doing mods.

davidefromitaly

Enlightened
solder the extension is a good choice but hard to do

more simple you can use two very small metal pipes where fit the pins of the lamp

but if i can suggest to you: use the tl-2 not the spyder... also the beam is better

farscape105

Newly Enlightened
Thanks. Guess I will order TL2 now too, was trying to go the cheaper route with Spyder. Love the beam of Spyder though, so will probably love Tl2 too. Plan on getting a Mag74 soon also. Damn this addiction. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif