MH-C777PLUS-II

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your take on the new Maha-C777 Plus-II? Good or bad. I may be in the market for something rather quickly has I have two chargers dying a rather quick death. I had one channel go out on me last week and I have two that are touch and go right now.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Highly recommended. The only things more I could ask for is full capability on 12V (it can only charge 4 NiMH instead of 12 on 12V), and the ability to tweak the charge control rate, but that may be a good thing not to let me touch since I WILL crank it up way too high /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The Maha comes with a power supply wallwart, so that is all taken care of you. I like the contacts and the magnetic charging platform, that way I can charge odd things like lithium ion digital cam batteries and cell phone batteries.

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
KevinL said:
Highly recommended. The only things more I could ask for is full capability on 12V (it can only charge 4 NiMH instead of 12 on 12V)

[/ QUOTE ]

Kevin, don't fully understand when you say it can only charge 4 NiMH's at a time on 12v? Do you not mean Li-Ion Batteries instead of NiMH/NiCAD?

This is what I quoted out of Thomas Distributing Website on the new MH-777Plus-II: Supports a wide voltage range of 1.2V to 14.4V (1 to 12 cells) for NiMH & NiCD,and 3.6V to 14.4V (1 to 4 cells) for Lithium Ion.

The MH-C777PLUS-II can charge many professional digital / film SLR camera battery pack (Both NiMH & Lithium Ion) like Nikon D1, F5, Kodak DSC-series, Olympus E-10, Canon EOS.

In addition to battery packs, you can also charge 1 to 12 cells of AA, AAA, C, and D rechargeable battery cells
( Requires optional battery holders ). The possibilities are endless!

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
What they don't tell you is that it can take three input voltages (12, 18, 24), and that if you power it off 12 or 18VDC, you cannot charge the full amount of cells. The supplied wallwart operates at 24, thus enabling you to do 1-12 NiMH, 1-4 lithium ion, but that goes down to 1-4 NiMH and 1-2 lithium ion at 12V on the car adapter.

When my wallwart fried, I hooked it up to my computer's +12VDC rail, and I couldn't charge my larger packs with 6 SubCs and the Mag85 pack (9 cells).

Other chargers such as the Triton have the ability to 'step up' 12VDC, drawing more amps in the process, to charge up to 24 NiMH cells on 12V. IMHO this and the non-adjustable charge current level are the only two shortcomings of what is otherwise a really good charger.

And their support kicks ***, even though I'm over the big blue ocean and on the other end of the world. The fried wallwart was replaced promptly. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

vacuum3d

Enlightened
I have problems with Maha over charging Li-Ion cells. My Li-Ions register 4.3x fresh off the charger. I know of at least one other person with the same problem, but there are others who don't see this problem at all. Do you feel lucky?
In fact, for this reason, I'm willing to get rid of my charger at 50% of what I paid for if anyone is interested.

ernest

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
vacuum3d said:
I have problems with Maha over charging Li-Ion cells. My Li-Ions register 4.3x fresh off the charger. I know of at least one other person with the same problem, but there are others who don't see this problem at all. Do you feel lucky?
In fact, for this reason, I'm willing to get rid of my charger at 50% of what I paid for if anyone is interested.

ernest

[/ QUOTE ]

Same problem here, but only if I leave the cell on for a very long time and allow the charger to completely terminate the charge. The last couple tenths of a V take a long time because the charge rate is very low toward the end. It is frustrating to have to "babysit" the process though. I recently bought a Triton, but I haven't yet had the time to play around with it.

Half off on PlusII is a sweet deal for anyone who is willing to do a little watching. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Peter

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm doing fine. Lots of 18650s running around here that terminated at 4.2V while I took a nap.

What I DON'T feel lucky with is cheep china made chargers with no safety certification, no warranty, and no support. That kind, ah, might disturb you late at night. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Maybe mine is a newer Maha?

Doug Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
KevinL said:

When my wallwart fried, I hooked it up to my computer's +12VDC rail, and I couldn't charge my larger packs with 6 SubCs and the Mag85 pack (9 cells).

[/ QUOTE ]

Course you coulda if you'd gone from plus 12 to minus 12 (instead of ground), right? Assuming your minus 12 has enough current capacity, of course.

Doug Owen

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
oooooooh.....cool idea!

We used to hook +12 to +5V to get +7, in order to undervolt fans to make them quieter with a commensurate loss in cooling capacity. Will think about it next time the Maha needs an emergency power supply.

vacuum3d

Enlightened
I've been bombarded with interests for my Maha. It's currently spoken for, but if the deal doesn't fall thru, I'd let people know in the order I received PM. Please, no need to PM me regarding interest in the Maha if you haven't already.

thx,
ernest

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
flashlight said:
The LaCrosse BC-900 is the other highly recommended charger. You can get it from JSBurlys.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am certain that the LaCrosse is a fine charger and there seems to be a lot of people that are quite happy with it but there is a big difference in the MA-C777Plus and the LaCrosse. The LaCrosse is limited in just charging "AA" & "AAA" Batt's if I am not mistaken whereas the MA-C777Plus can do the full gamut including battery packs.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dukester, If you are going to invest that much, maybe consider the Triton.

I can let you in on my buy if you want. PM me for details.

Bill

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
bwaites said:
Dukester, If you are going to invest that much, maybe consider the Triton.

I can let you in on my buy if you want. PM me for details.

Bill

[/ QUOTE ]

PM Sent...

flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Dukester said:
[ QUOTE ]
flashlight said:
The LaCrosse BC-900 is the other highly recommended charger. You can get it from JSBurlys.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am certain that the LaCrosse is a fine charger and there seems to be a lot of people that are quite happy with it but there is a big difference in the MA-C777Plus and the LaCrosse. The LaCrosse is limited in just charging "AA" & "AAA" Batt's if I am not mistaken whereas the MA-C777Plus can do the full gamut including battery packs.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're correct of course & I do have both the Maha777PlusII & LaCrosse BC-900 myself /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif. Just that you didn't mention what types of batteries you were using in your original post. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif You do need battery holders for AA/AAA with the Maha though unless you just line 2 up end to end & connect the crocodile tips like I sometimes do. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif