Li-ion replacement for 3AAA?

BatteryCharger

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm thinking about buying one of those cheap chinese LED lights on ebay that use 3AAA batteries. I'd like to us a lithium ion instead of the 3AAA...is there a common size that will fit nicely? Would a rechargeable 123 fit? (with a spacer for length)

BatteryCharger

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
modamag said:
You could use the the 1x 10440 and 2x dummy that will fit.

[/ QUOTE ]

That would be alot of wasted space...I could just use NiMh AAAs and get alot more power.

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast
Didn't quite get what you wanted the first time. You want a same size replacement /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Well if your 3AA are stack in a 3x1 configuration then you can use a 26500 Lithium (7K-8K mAh). I don't know about rechargeable options.

R123 would fit if you make an adapter sleeve & dummy spacer.
For the adapter sleeve go to HD or Lowes and get the 1" tubbing (sprinkler section)
For the dummy spacer get the 1/2 aluminum rods and make your own /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Happy Modding.

BatteryCharger

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm looking for one battery that takes the place of all 3AAAs. I see that the regargeable 123s are only about 700mah, so that's not of much use either. What would be perfect is something like a 20440...if it exists.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I have a battery pack for a cell phone that is lithium ion that replaces a 3AAA cell pack. It is not much better though in output (mah) compared to 3AAA nimh but it is thinner flatter and lighter.

Mark_Paulus

Enlightened
I would think that maybe a 17500 with a sleeve might work, depending upon how much spring is in there for the 3AAA adapter. Actually, I think I may have a 17430, or maybe it's a 14430 or 2 at home, from some off-brand camcorder pack I ebayed just for scavenging.

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hm, anything new come along that will do this, replacing the 3xAAA (in the little plastic holder) with a single rechargeable cell easily?

Before I send the old 3xAAA cheap lights off to Goodwill, just curious

45/70

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check out this thread. Seems to be just right for these applications.

That said. I've used 18500 LiCo's in a couple 3AAA lights for a number of years. I cut up a mouse pad to line the barrel and use 3-4 U.S. nickels to add some length. Works well, and no rattle.

Keep in mind that a 4.2 Volt Li-Ion cell is going to drive any of these lights that are direct drive quite a bit harder. The potential for burning up the LED(s) may be a problem. Li-Ion cell's voltage doesn't sag nearly as much as alkaline's.

Dave

Linger

Flashlight Enthusiast
it's totally worth your while to try. Impossible to give definative answers as all 3aaa packs are wired differently. I have one 3aaa light that works fine with a single 14500 put in instead (pressure holds it straight, a tube would be a benneficial mod), and another headlamp that could fit a 16340 if I ran a -'ve contact wire up to a perimiter ring on +'ve end.
Then I have a Dewalt 3aaa that won't really fit anything (easily) because the battery pack integrates with the switch in a way that it's hard to just drop in a straight lithum cell as a substitute.

Joshatdot

Enlightened
I have 2 Princeton Tec EOS headlamps, and found this thread about converting 3xAAAs with a Li-Ion. I have an old LG VX8370, and the battery is 3.7v 1000mAh. It is just about the perfect size for the compartment. I'd have to figure out away to connect the battery to the board leads.

atatanj.jpg

YpT6hQD.jpg

sKyOw5C.jpg

Poppy

Flashaholic
You might have to cannibalize the battery compartment from the cell phone that battery came out of.

I think that an easier modification, and cleaner looking one, would be to rewire the Princeton Tek battery box so that all three cells are in a parallel configuration, instead of series, and then use 3x10440 LiIon cells in there.

Joshatdot

Enlightened
Last edited: