UK4AA with 4 Watt Lamp Assembly

Brightsun

Newly Enlightened
I tried one of the 4-watt lamps that is designed for the UK 4AA rechargeable, in a standard UK4AA with alkaline cells. The 4 watt lamp assembly is much more robust with an aluminum reflector/heat sink. The light is much brighter with a better hot spot and less artifacts. The beam quality approaches that of my Pelican StealthLite 4AA. Can anyone tell me what kind of lamp life I can expect with alkaline cells? Also, how about using NiMH batteries? Thanks for sharing.

David_Campen

Enlightened
I am using this except with Lithium AA batteries. Some people were of the opinion that the higher voltage of the lithium cells would burn out the lamp very quickly but this hasn't been the case. I would say that I have at least 1 hour of burn time so far on one of these assemblies and the lamp is still not showing any tungsten deposits. I may decide to change the lamp module every time I change the batteries.

Here is another thread:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=479232&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=1&vc=1

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did something similar with one of my two Pelican ProLites (4C). Both are the nonrechargeable model. I called Pelican and asked, "Any reason I shouldn't take a bulb from a rechargeable ProLite and use it in the nonrechargeable (alkaline) model?"

The guy replied, "We don't recommend it."

"Why not?"

(pause) "We just don't recommend it."

Of course, I did it anyway. It yields a noticeably brighter beam. The downside, of course, is that your discharge curve moves left and down quickly.

I did the same with a StealthLite; same results.

For the ProLite, I also tried the stippled reflector. It produces a cleaner beam, and I consider the ideal partner for the rechargeable ProLite bulb. Incredibly, Pelican uses the same part number for the smooth and stippled ProLite reflectors! You have to tell them which kind you mean. At least, that was the case about 8 years ago.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
Out of curiosity, what's the wattage of the regular UK4AA lamp?

Anyone tried this trick with the UK2L?

I would love an option to sacrifice some run time in my 4AA or 2L and get a brighter light.

JimM

Newly Enlightened
The regular lamp is 2.1 watt according to the info on BrightGuy.
Jim

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
[ QUOTE ]
Joe Talmadge said:
Anyone tried this trick with the UK2L?

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't tried it, but I read the 4 watt gives the 2L output about equal to a Surefire E2e with a MN03. I think it was Quickbeam that tested it.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
Will a Xenon bulb from Princeton Tec's Tec 40 fit the UK 4AA? I'm not sure its rating, but the 2AA Tec 20 is 2W, so the 4AA Tec 40 may be 4W.

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
The UK 4AA doesn't accept PR base bulbs like the Tec 40 does. The UK 4AA lamps are lamp assemblies, reflector and bulb are one unit. Also, the bezels are different sizes and there would be no easy way to do a swap. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
JimM said:
The regular lamp is 2.1 watt according to the info on BrightGuy.
Jim

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I dive with one as a back up light. It is on a gear keeper on my BC's left sholder strap for every dive it is a great combo.

K-T

*Moderator*
I was wondering if the 4W rechargeable lamp could be used in the standard 4AA bodies as the 4 AA batteries would provide a higher voltage compared to the rechargeable pack inside the 4AA-R version, or am I completely off track here?

It would be wonderful to have a 4W version available.