Surefire E2E Black Hard Anodized

sgt253

Enlightened
I would like to get some input from fellow CPF'ers. I have the opportunity to purchase a E2E black hard anodized brand new for $61.00 USD. I know it is not the E2D but I think its a good light in its own right. Anyone care to share their thoughts? Thanks.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, it is a good price for an E2e regardless. They normally go for more than that.

If it is a real HA3 black (as opposed to Type 2 black, the 'ordinary' kind of black that looks a little bit shiny) it is even more valuable. Go for it. HA3 black has a matt finish and may look very dark purple under certain circumstances. The color of the anodizing may be less consistent from part to part. The HA3 black is valuable due to its rarity, not many were made.

sgt253

Enlightened
Thanks for the input, gents. I went ahead and purchased this light. I have been eager to get one. If anyone wants one, let me know via PM or Email and I will let you know where I got mine. Thanks again.

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
You're POSITIVE its Type 3 hard anodize? There is a type 2 black semi-glossy (NOT hard) anodize out there that sells for that price here on CPF.

sgt253

Enlightened
I ordered the light,in the description of the item, the seller states it is hard anodizing. I have been told "hard anodizing" can be type II or type III. I regret it if I caused anyone any anxiety over the type. My understanding was type II was "soft" anodizing and type III was "hard"(Mil-Spec). I have been looking to purchase an E2E and thought this would really do me well. Still a good light at a good price,Right?
Regards.

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
[ QUOTE ]
sgt253 said:
Still a good light at a good price,Right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Right!!!!!!!!

Ya done good. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

cy

Flashaholic
HA dyed black will always have a dull finish. color anodizing can be dull or shiny depending on finish of aluminum surface prior to anodizing.

when an aluminum part is Hard anodized, it's oxidized or burned at a rapid rate in a bath of surfuric acid under a high current load.

it's this penatration below sub-surface that gives HA it's tuffness. It's not possible to have a shining HA finish. you can polish a part up to mirror finish, then HA the part. it will always come out dull.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm.. normally we refer to Type II anodizing as just Type II, it's not considered 'hard', but interpretations vary.

Nevertheless $61 is still a good deal for a nice light! Black Type II on an E2e would be cool, thus far I have only seen the older E2 (non-hex-bezel with clip on the bezel) in black.

L

LA_Police_Gear

FYI, We do have the E2e-BK in stock. It is type II black anodized. We about about 5 left....

Sean
LA Police Gear Inc

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
sgt253: actually, your initial understanding of the different types of anodizing is correct. type II anodizing is the shiny kind that comes on maglites and surefires like the 6P, Z2, etc. hard anodizing is simply another name for type III anodizing. there is no such thing as type II hard anodizing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif