Lithium batteries used to make methamphetamine

Status
Not open for further replies.

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did not know until recently that the "nazi method" of manufacturing methamphetamine uses the lithium strips taken from CR123 and other lithium batteries. The other three ingredients are ether, pseudo-ephedrine, and anhydrous ammonia.

I worked on a case recently where the badguy was found to have a lithium battery in his pocket. He claimed that it was for his flashlight. But since the cops had observed him in going in and out of a clandestine meth lab, he ended up getting 10 years in the pokey.

I wouldn't be surprised if the restrictions currently in place on the sale of cold medications containing pseudo-ephedrine (in some jurisdictions) migrate to the sale of lithium batteries.

In one tv story, it was reported as follows:

"The state of Missouri already restricts how much pseudoephedrine a person can buy at one time. However, there's no regulation on lithium batteries, another key ingredient to make meth. Russ Jones manages Battery Outfitters and runs into meth addicts trying to buy lithium batteries. "Generally if they pay with cash, and they're twitching a little bit, I like to ask them for an ID." But that's a store policy. No law exists in Missouri for it.

"It's easy to get this ingredient to make meth. Just go to any cellular phone store and buy a lithium battery. Sid Conklin of the Missouri Highway Patrol says most retailers do cooperate to help curb the meth problem. He says, "Lithium batteries is a needed ingredient in one of the formulas in making meth and a lot of retailers have restricted the sale of that by putting those batteries behind the counter where a customer would have to ask for them specifically."

Full story here.

Don't know what the moral of this story is. Just found it interesting.

Meth_Lab.jpg

Powernoodle's secret underground meth lab. Must . . .stop. . . twitching.

best regards

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thats all we need...is to have "Tweekers"/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/xyxgun.gif cause some knee-jerk politcians to restrict our ability to buy cells for our beloved lights! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif

Finbar

Newly Enlightened
I saw that segment on tv tha other day. There is a effort going to schedule Sudafed to Class V. Great, a bunch of hop-heads mess it up for everyone else.

Sudafed is the only OTC that helps me.

Oh yea, that twitching can be caused by looking directly at a fired-up LED. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

Psst, need some lithiums...yea, I can get ya some lithiums/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sssh.gif

Fin

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hope that those meth addicts just dont find online 123 retailers.

Fat_Tony

Enlightened
Hi Powernoodle. Please forgive my naivete, but when you say the "nazi method", am I correct in assuming that you mean that neo-nazis use this method to produce methamphetamines? Just curious. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif Thanks.

revolvergeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quoted from http://www.prescottaz.com/meth/danger.htm.

"Pseudephedrine allows manufacture of methamphetamine using the "Nazi method," so-called because it was first used by Germany during World War II. The Nazi method produces relatively pure meth very quickly - in about three hours, compared to ephedrine reduction, which takes several days. "

greenLED

Flashaholic
It p***s me off to be treated like I'm some low-life drug dealer every time I buy my allergy meds. The whole "may I see your ID" {heavy censorship for foul language}. Excuse ME, but I am a law-abding citizen with bad allergies and messed up sinuses (even after surgery).

Who ever thought asking for ID would stop people from making meth couldn't find their heads even if they were stuck... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif If they wrote down my ID number *and* kept a centralized DB of how much Claritin-D I buy they *might* accomplish something, but... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

What next, show ID to buy toilet paper!!??

Thank you, I had to get that out of my system, carry on...

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmmmm,
Soooo, if you use lithium batteries by the dozen... use the $1.25 each online specials and sell them to a methhead to by "recycled". I bet one could get more money for a dead lithium than it costs to buy a new one! Woohoo!

Something tells me after a lithium battery is used, it won't work correctly though. <BTW, the above is called humor... just a joke> Then again, would methheads go dumpster diving at the police station to fish out worn out 123a lithium batteries?

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do think it is ridiculous to go to all that trouble and probably not stop any meth users and producers. Uh oh, what if they somehow add a twistpackage to buying 123s offline? like a proof of innocence card, or something that makes it a pain in the @$$ just to buy 123s for cheap?

Benthead, isnt meth really addictive? I mean, its easy to produce, and if something is addictive, you probably would do anything to get your hands on it. I dont really know much about meth actually. I jsut saw on the news that its easy to produce with household products and is dangerous in a way. but if its a drug, its probably addictive.

Topper

Flashaholic*
Seems like a real waste of power. Better to use them in flashlights. If anyone gets over paranoid about thier personal 123 stash then send them to me I will "dispose" of them for you free of charge /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Topper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

MichiganMan

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
powernoodle said:
Its said to be extremely addictive. But not as addictive as flashlights.

[/ QUOTE ]

See?

SEE???

And whats the connection between the two...?

LITHIUM BATTERIES!!!!!

Yes yes, it all makes sense now...

DaFiend

Enlightened
In Australia we have the "Pseudo-Runners" going up and down the coast stocking up on sudafed etc, but thats to manufacture Speed i'm pretty sure. We are pretty lucky here, we missed the "crack" explosion of the 80's (it was then wasn't it?) Crystal meth, meth or "ice" is sadly apparently starting to make an appearance here. I doubt we will this outbreak........

Thats stuff send people crazy for days after..........

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Pseudoephedrine (like Sudafed and Wall-Fed) is already controlled in Washington.
I'd hate to see what might happen to CR123A, CR2, and L91 cells. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
PhotonWrangler said:
Gads. What a waste of a good battery!

Make photons, not meth. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
HAHA that should be a slogan for batteries!

theepdinker

Enlightened
My dog has allergies.
I can buy one weeks worth of sudafed for her at a time.
What a PITA.
I could buy a months supply of the vet version at one time, for $100.00.

Theepdinker

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Disassembling a fresh 123 is asking for an instant fire! We're talking "Darwin Award" material. A lot of meth labs are discovered by Fire Departments responding. Appearantly very flammable chemicals like ether are also involved.

Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.