New COAST AA/AAA lights Luxeon & Nichia LEDS!

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
ARC Lovers check it out.

I have no idea on the quality of the lights, but they do look very interesting:
Coast_Micro-Tac-sm.jpg

Micro Tac Torch ($20) is somewhat larger, 92mm in length, and is powered by a single AAA alkaline battery. .(AA battery shown just for size comparison)

Coast_Turbo-Tac-sm.jpg

Turbo Tac ($25), the biggest of these miniature lights, runs on a single AA battery and measures 98mm in length.

Coast_David-sm.jpg

David, an attractively smooth stainless tactical torch, was another prototype seen in the Coast booth. David's light source is a 1.25-watt white LED, powered by a single AA alkaline battery, and should throw out approximately 65 lumens. The prototype measures 100mm in length, and the anticipated MSRP should be in the $70 range

Coast_No-Name-sm.jpg

The final new product seen at the Coast booth was a prototype so new it didn't have a name yet. The interesting thing about this light was the rear switch, which was a micro-processor controlled optical sensor which recognizes when the user touches a thumb to it. The sensor also controls dimming and blinking functions. Some kind of a lock off feature will be incorporated into the design, although that wasn't part of the prototype yet. It uses the same 1.25 watt LED and reflector prism that is in Coast's current Power Chip lights.

Go to THIS PAGE for more info and larger pictures, but check out the detail on this AAA keychain light:
Coast_Micro-Tac-lg.jpg

Coast Micro Tac Torch, shown with AA battery for size comparison (Micro Tac uses a AAA battery).

That is one nice looking light!

And the single AA Luxeon Stars are very interesting also!

So, where can these lights be found?

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry if I wasnt clear, I do not own any of these lights, I was looking for someone that sells them.

All I can say as of now, is that the pictures look interesting, and the concept looks good.

So, does anyone know who sells these lights or where they can be purchased online?

stormchaser

Newly Enlightened
I've seen that "David" light on the net. it looks great! I don't mind paying $70 for one, especially after what happenned to Arc! I wonder if any of these come with a metal split ring pocket clip.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
3 7/8" for a single AA light and 3 5/8" for a single AAA light seem long? That's what's on the website link above. Maybe their specs are misprinted?

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think 65 lumens powered by 1 AA is a bit farfetched. Average LEDs cant get that much throw with even 2 123s to start with. Then again, it could be at least half of that. When I read about the Photon Proton, I was amazed, then realized the descriptions might have been a bit exaggerated. THEN AGAIN, I never read a review of this light or the proton so we will have to wait I guess...

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I may be wrong, but I thought I saw some of these at Target a few days ago. Didn't specify on the package what type battery they used, which seemed odd, but if they're AAA and AA, I'm interested.

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I saw some at Fry's and some this evening at L:eek:we's, and some at the web site mentioned above, but I cannot find any of these specific models (they are all 2005 models).

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: New COAST AA/AAA lights Luxeon & Nichia LE

I was at a gun show this past weekend and saw what appeared to be the bottom light that is a prototype. If it had a micro in the switch, I wasn't aware of it. It was a very nice white beam. It's very difficult to judge a light in daylight, but it was bright enough that the beam was very visible. It was priced at $50.

I've got the dealers card. Think I'll call him and ask more about it starting with how new it is.

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: New COAST AA/AAA lights Luxeon & Nichia LE

They sell those lights at the Ace Hardware downtown.

spideyfan

Newly Enlightened
Those coast models look really good. Ill have to pick one up when they are available.

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had one unit by Coast and took it back the next day! There were no o-rings in the thing! And it was defective, in that if I taped to hard the light would flicker or completely go out. I took it back to Frys's and got Streamlight Twin Task. Now that's one I can count on!

chiphead

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Well, I have all those except the David and this new fancy switch thing, and while they are decent lights for non-flashaholics, I really wouldn't recommend them as Arc-replacements.

They lack in water-proofness and LED-protection and I don't know anything about the electronics in them ...

bernhard

The_virus

Enlightened
Those lights look nice, I have some other LED Lenser keychain lights that I'm pleased with, and they do have o-rings at the back where you unscrew to get at the batteries. They're mostly for dazzling, but nevertheless I'm happy with them.

Hopefully these new ones, with higher prices are sturdy.

Can anyone quicly explain what the big deal about Nichia LEDs is? I know they're some company's patented take on LEDs, but where exactly do they sit on the quality spectrum? Somewhere between standard LEDs and Luxeon?

I saw a Garrity light at Wal-Mart saying it had a Nichia LED inside, so they can't be that fantastic.