• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Every time I go to order an Aleph........

Anglepoise

Flashlight Enthusiast
Every time I go to order an Aleph, I stop because I have doubts as to that switch.
I have never handled an Aleph or any Surefire product.

My main concern is how easy it is to operate.
Can it be easily switched on with one hand ??

I need to be sold.........

Fiatlux

Newly Enlightened
I was in a similar position...and hearing it from someone else, would just be hearing it from someone else.... bite the bullet....and get one.... if you don't like it...sell it...they both hold their values. If you can use an ink pen...you can work either light.

wasBlinded

Flashlight Enthusiast
The standard Aleph switch in pushbutton mode is a little stiff compared to Surefire switches, though the FT is easier. To twist it on, it is no different than the Surefire switches, though with the tab on it it is even easier to twist on one-handed.

Darell

Flashaholic
What Blinded said.... except that I have some SF switches that are stiffer than these!

If you've used a standard SF E-series LOTC, then you have a pretty good idea of what this is like. Just add a second level. IF you don't like the LOTC, then you likely won't like this switch. AND... if the switch is the only problem, then just buy the SF switch you like the best, and screw it on there. Will work just fine. You don't need to use the Aleph tail.

cognitivefun

Enlightened
My doubts are whether the "low" mode will work.

I would like to use an Aleph with either rechargables or 123s, and the low mode is important to me. I still cannot figure out from reading past posts here whether the low mode works...people say it "flickers" or plain doesn't work.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
The low works fine with the DownBoy converter and typically well (some reported flickering) with the NexGen converters. It is iffy with the Wiz2 converters. Resistor selection is based on type of converter and cells being used. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif There are many viable combinations with good low level output.

Darell

Flashaholic
The low on a NG module *can* flicker, and there have been very few people who are bothered by it. Low mode works on every configuration though (not so great with the Wiz2, though- but that is a special case. Give us the configuration you're after, and we'll go from there. If you using 2x123, then a DB works flawlessly in both modes, and there are no worries. You can use CR123 or R123 with no problem.

cognitivefun

Enlightened
I am after an Aleph that is an EDC, very small, that can use either a rechargable or 123, with very bright high mode and very low low-mode (around 2/3 of the output of the X5T, say, or 2 -3 times an Ultra Infinity), about the size of the Nuwai...

StuU

Enlightened
Does anybody know if the Aleph has a low-end flicker with a Badboy 500 converter board? I tend to use the low end more than the high beam and am not terribly concerned that the Nexgen board may be a little more efficient on high.......

StuU

Enlightened
Thanks, Darell.

I am planning out a 1x123 EDC with Aleph2 head & TX1H and BB500 board. I really like the 2-stage switching of the Aleph. Maybe I will order this week....

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have yet to see a nexgen flicker with a 10 ohm resistor board. Although the badboy will work and you will not get flicker with 15 ohms of resistance, it will get hot on long runs. The BB generates a lot more heat than the nexgens do.

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know this is heresy but there really is a herd mentality sometimes on CPF and other forums. Whatever the guru's say is apropos but sometimes, it isn't! IMHO, this thread is exactly why there's a BIG need of a "clickie" two stage switch. I know this thread is not about this but let me chime in here.

I admit, there's a whole lot of positives to say about Don's switch, (I have one and like it), but there really is a need for a "clickie" two stage. I know it will come sooner or later and I know Don who used to be the "King of Clickies" has since denounced them but they are needed and I know he has made some and they are hard to do. I love clickies and it would be wonderful to push a button and get low and another push and get high and then a half revolution counterclockwise, to lock it out.

I don't give a whit about "Rodger's Technique" and such because I'm not into personal defense. I think two stage clickies are part of the future and I welcome them.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Hey Gene /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif .. Nuwai does those clickies you are describing ... they cycle through the modes. The problem is that we'd want a clicky that can click to any mode instantly and to off-position, too, and honestly, I can't even think how that could be done mechanically in a reliable manner.
That would leave us with a uC-solution à la Darell ... but those single-button interfaces are problematic at best, at least for some mentally challenged people like me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

So yes, we know the McE2S is not the end of the road, but give this poor Don-guy a little time to come up with something of the next generation ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

bernie

StuU

Enlightened
Darell- Got one TX1H from Photonfanatic last week. Fred only had a few and they went mucho quickly......

Chop-So you are fairly confident that the Nexgen 500 with 10ohm will be most likely be w/o flickering? This would be a better deal..

Hmmm-didn't notice any 10ohms at the Shoppe. Where are these available?
Stu

Anglepoise

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the future will be electronic switches, as used by Mr Bulk on his two latest creations. Here the momentary click switch is somehow incorporated in the LE. For my use, a switch in this position is most desirable, although decidedly 'Old School' for those amongst us that walk around with there flashlights over their heads. I am not a Navy Seal and want my switch back where it should be ......on the lower part of the head.

This 'tactical' stuff is getting out of hand.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
I think the future will be electronic switches, as used by Mr Bulk on his two latest creations.

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif ... and what about mentally challenged people like me? I really want a "KISS" light without a multitude of button-presses to operate ...
I fear you might be right and that scares me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/aaa.gif
The Gladius was the most complicated I could master, and this one had 2 selecting devices, and not just one button.

And here we go again on the eternal switch discussion ... where's Darell? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

bernie

Anglepoise

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Kiessling said:
[ QUOTE ]
.. and what about mentally challenged people like me? I really want a "KISS" light without a multitude of button-presses to operate ...

bernie

[/ QUOTE ]

Now that will be the skill of the programmer. They don't have to be stupidly over complicated. It can be as simple as push once for on, push again for off. Hopefully we will be able to program them how we want. I am with you. Keep it simple.
Do we really need 30 brightness levels and a 30 page instruction book.....No.